[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sick Cat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: fever.jpg (26KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
fever.jpg
26KB, 624x351px
Hi,

So I have a 15 year old domestic short hair that has had anal gland problems since I adopted him 14 years ago. He is now straining in the litter box unable to defecate. He'll try and then give up and his butt will be poking out and then he'll puke and try again and usually it passes.

I've been to the vet and there's no abdominal obstruction. He is slightly dehydrated but still within normal range. I give him raw food because he has pancreatitis and dry food makes him puke. I've tried at least a dozen different fibre/stool supplements but none seem to work. (Pumpkin, psyllium husk, various health food and drug store types, hair ball chews, olive oil... )

He puked four times last night (he always pukes twice in a row) and was straining and gave up and wanted to lie down and I petted him and he was growling at me and then went again and puked more and then walked around upset and then went again and was able to pass.

He scoots a lot and sometimes has plugged anal glands but not always. They are not infected.

I have no idea what to do and the vet has nothing else but very expensive tests/x ray/ultrasounds that I'm not able to afford.

Any ideas?
>>
Why do you own a cat if you are not able to afford the vet? Try to solve this problem first.
>>
>very expensive tests/x ray/ultrasounds

Unfortunately, this is it
>>
>>2385386
>Why do you own a cat if you are not able to afford the vet?

$75 to see the vet I can handle, $5000 for scans and tests, not so much.
>>
BTW, your cat is probably puking now because the feces are so backed up in his intestines that he has no space in his stomach for food
>>
>>2385389
There's no obstruction and the vet says the tests may not show anything different. If the tests were a couple hundred dollars it wouldn't be so bad, but they want to run EVERYTHING and I can't afford that. If I pay for all those tests, then I wouldn't be able to afford food and litter for him.
>>
>>2385395
Then euthanasia is probably your best option
>>
>>2385390

time to let the cat go then, it had a good run. it is too large a financial burden and its quality of life is down the drains. Putting the cat down is the most humane option you have.
>>
>>2385393
That makes sense, but I don't know how to get him un backed up. The vet has given me things like lactalose but that doesn't work, they suggested fibre supplements, those don't work. I literally have six or seven bottles of fibre supplements at home plus another half dozen bottles/bags of specialized treats.

I don't know what else to do so that's why I'm posting on an Liechtensteinian mug collectors board.
>>
>>2385397
>>2385398
I don't think it's time for that yet. If the vet didn't know his actual age, she would guess him at 10, not 15. He's still incredibly playful, likes to go outside on a leash, plays with his cat wand, purrs all the time, likes to cuddle, and still eats like there's no tomorrow. He hasn't lost weight and his fur is still shiny.

I also tried buying clam juice to put in water to get him to drink more but that didn't take.
>>
Ask another vet.
>>
Sounds like severe constipation. If he can't pass it himself soon, he'll need an enema (not expensive).

Constipation is not uncommon in older cats. If lactulose didn't help him... that's unfortunate. My old clinic had a cat with chronic constipation/megacolon. She was on a combo of lactulose, cisapride, and laxatone. SubQ fluids can also be helpful since dehydration worsens constipation.

Good luck anon, it's clear you really love your cat.
>>
>>2385409
Best vet in town.

>>2385441
Thank you Anon. I'll ask about an enema, I don't think it was suggested to me. They talked about the subq fluids but because his blood came back only slightly dehydrated, they said just to add water in his food, which I've been doing.

He's the tabby cat in the photo. I woke up the other night and both were snuggled on me so I had to take a photo.
>>
>>2385444
>Best vet in town.
find one outside your town then
>>
>>2385444
Ask the second best, then.
>>
Well fuvk you then.
You don't take any advice we give you, either you put it down for good to stop it's suffering or you go to another vet.
>>
>>2385458
>>2385487
>thinking I haven't already done this

>>2385551
>You don't take any advice we give you

Only advice given was from >>2385441 .
>>
>>2385444
>>2385444
The best vet in town recommended bloodwork and other expensive testing, but didn't mention a simple enema for a cat exhibiting pretty classic signs of constipation? Anon... be careful, that's worrisome. Did he say if there's anything specific he's trying to test for?

Unless his anal glands are severely impacted (you'd be able to see/feel this - I've seen it twice, bilaterally, and it honest to god looked like both animals had grown new testicles) they should not be obstructing his ability to poop. Is he passing urine? When he does pass stool, does it tend to be very dry and hard?
>>
>>2385628
>but didn't mention a simple enema
It's possible that it was mentioned but I had forgotten due to the other information being given at the time.

>Is he passing urine?
He pees fine though there is a lot of it. He'll pee once or twice a day but there will be lots of volume. It doesn't seem super excessive compared to my other cat.

>When he does pass stool, does it tend to be very dry and hard?

Yes, but not always. This is what is frustrating. He'll have grade 1 stool all the way to 2.5. I think average would be 1.5. Sometimes it's pellet like, other times it's more ragged, like 3.5. He'll eat mostly raw food, but sometimes it doesn't thaw in time, so I feed him canned food. (Raw food is http://www.mountaindogfood.com/products.php chicken cat food, canned is https://www.wellnesspetfood.com/natural-cat-food/wet )

There seems to be absolutely no correlation between the food fed and his stool consistency. Sometimes I'll skip the extra fibre as I'm afraid that it's too much and rough on his tummy and then add a bit more in with water and he'll get backed up both with the fibre and not. The only thing that seemed to really clear him out is canned tuna with psyllium husk, but that was just once. (His stool was probably 4-5" long that one time.) I've tried doing a tuna broth with psyllium once a week but it doesn't clean him out like before. (Plus the other one gobbles it up, runs around and then pukes it up.)

I'll also buy shrimp for them as a treat and see no difference.

He only strains on the litter box/has issues once or twice a month. Other than his litter box troubles, he's completely fine. He doesn't mewl or cry or is lethargic, he always has a healthy appetite and is inquisitive. I bought a new cat wand last night and he was jumping all over the place, doing acrobatics.

His droppings don't tend to smell bad for poop, but last night it was pretty rank for him. (I've cat sitted other cats that have "normal" rank droppings like that.)
>>
>>2385402
Then what are you asking us? You know all of your options. It seems like you just can't stand that that's it.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.