[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So here I am sitting on the couch and this little bastard in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_20170518_045321592.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170518_045321592.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
So here I am sitting on the couch and this little bastard in pic related is crawling on the arm of it.

What is this thing? I live in NYC and this would be the first time i've seen it here but it looks like a tick.

Do any of you have an idea or more information?

Thanks in advance. This thing is tiny and has an isometric pattern on its shell.

I've been feeling itchy and a little fatigued. I just hope its not lime. My aunt is also itchy as hell but the doctor says its a fungus.
>>
File: IMG_20170518_045322628.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170518_045322628.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
File: IMG_20170518_045357774.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170518_045357774.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
File: IMG_20170518_045415926.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170518_045415926.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
>>2384332
It's a tick of some sort, they usually hide during the day and come out to suck blood at night. Their bites itch.

Kill them. Exterminate them.
>>
Some type of carpet beetle. Learn to clean.
>>
Did anyone else think that was an ass?
>>
>>2384351
I mopped a little over a week ago and sweep every day. I've seen little black beetles here but never ones like this.

>>2384350

What makes you so sure though? How do I even go about that in a large apartment?

I guess I have a lot of clothes in the closet that could be housing these bugs but how extensive can an infestation even be... This is the first I've seen of this.
>>
It's a carpet beetle but holy fucking shit those pictures are awful.
>>
>>2384390
It's a Moto g5 plus.

I bought it because the camera was supposed to be good mid-range. Haven't been very impressed, but this thing is really tiny as well.

Are carpet beetles hazardous to health?
>>
>>2384405
Not unless you're allergic to the larva's hairs or happen to have a shitload of them next to your expensive clothes.

It's a beetle, what do you think it's going to do? Bite your nose off?
>>
>>2384417
Plenty of insects actually give off bacteria and other harmful bio-material that can really hurt humans by communicable disease, exposure, and so on.

Some people are highly reactive to it. You can get asthma from living around too much roaches and apparently their shit.

There's nothing wrong with asking questions.
>>
File: IMG_20170518_121137448.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170518_121137448.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
I've found some new critters under my aunt's mattress. What are these?
>>
File: IMG_20170518_133610351.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170518_133610351.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>2384640
>>
>>2384640
>>2384643
Those are bedbugs. Spray them and their eggs with at least 70% rubbing alcohol. Prepare to fight a long battle and pray they are not widespread. Also notify anybody that has been at that home in the last month or two.
>>
>>2384640
>>2384643
Oh you are beyond fucked.
>>
File: IMG_20170518_133744920.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170518_133744920.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>2384643
>>2384657
>>2384671
WTF. Can these shits cause people to break out with red bumps and itch all over? My aunt is old and she's been having bad reactions and cant sleep.
>>
>>2384676
They feed on your blood, so take a guess.

You might want to spend an hour or two looking up as much information as you can because you're not going to get rid of them anytime soon.
>>
>>2384676
Yes absolutely. My mom had a horrid reaction to them. Research like your life depends on it. Drying clothing and bedding on as high heat as the fabric can safely withstand helps. Try to keep loads light. All socks, then all underwear, you get the idea. Alcohol to directly kill eggs and bugs you find. Cooking them in the dryer fucks up their reproductive organs. Even if they don't die, they can't breed. This applies to unborn in eggs too. Search fucking EVERYWHERE for black spots, their moltings and love ones. I am talking full on detective mode. They gravitate to dark places and creases and crevices. Flashlight and alcohol. Literally check everything. Spend at least 30 minutes inspecting every piece of furniture. The more thoroughly you search now, the faster you will get rid of them. Treat this like code red pandemic and you will make it out. Try to eliminate clutter, and any clean clothes you have that have been cooked 1 or 2 times, plastic bag them in white garbage bags. Also, buy a huge as fuck bag of diatomaceous earth (food grade) and puff it into the corners of the house and along the walls, into holes and creases, cover the mattress under the blankets and shit with it. As long as it is dry, it will kill any bugs with legs too short to keep their bodies out of it. Try to avoid having people over and going to other homes. Wear only cleaned clothing out, when you get home, switch to ahit clothes and cook the clean stuff.

Do not fuck around with this, especially if she has a bad reaction. I have given you the low cost way to fight these little fucks because when they hit us, we were poor as shit. If you have money, you can have sprays done, a full house heater cook, or fumigation or all three. Your best weapon is paranoia.

Good luck and fight well.
>>
>>2384700
>Having to put up with a bedbug infestation when you're poor

The fact that you didn't just have a breakdown and kill yourself is already impressive.
>>
>>2384700
>>2384718
I think here in NYC the super actually has the landlord pay for it, so even though we're poor the situation will probably be handled by them at the landlords expense.

We should be getting an inspector here soon, though it's been like an hour since i called the super and i still don't have a firm time or date for when this will get done.

Apparently the super won't even step foot in here until this is dealt with, so it's kind of bullshit they haven't told me a specific time for when they intend to exterminate/ fumigate.

Right now it seems isolated to her bed and it's probably been about a month since she started getting itchy so it think its localized for now.
>>
>>2384724
Forgot to say i think it may be dust mites as well. They're very difficult to tell apart if google images is to be trusted.
>>
>>2384724
>Right now it seems isolated to her bed and it's probably been about a month

Either you somehow got a magically mutated strain of really retarded bedbugs or you didn't search thoroughly enough because those fuckers get literally everywhere.

Also landlords (especially those who own places inhabited by poor families) are irredeemable cunts 99% of the time and won't go beyond minimal effort to fix your problem because they know they can get away with it. You'll be lucky if he even admits it's bedbugs and doesn't just claim it's some other made up shit.

>>2384726
I, and literally anyone who knows anything about arthropods for that matter, would literally bet my entire dick with the balls still attached on how those aren't mites. They are absolutely 100% bedbugs.
>>
>>2384730
>Also landlords (especially those who own places inhabited by poor families) are irredeemable cunts 99% of the time and won't go beyond minimal effort to fix your problem because they know they can get away with it. You'll be lucky if he even admits it's bedbugs and doesn't just claim it's some other made up shit.

Believe me, I'm aware. They've been neglecting us for a long time now. Thing is we've got so much crap wrong and piling up here a quick call to 311 would really fuck their day up with violations. I'm ready to go that route if need be but for now I'll just keep pushing them until it has to be done.

I guess I'll keep /an/ updated on this in case anyone here would like to know what NYC landlords do to deal with this. Authentic poor people shit.
>>
>>2384718
It definitely was not a peaceful time in my life. The infestation lasted 6 months in an old two story house. Every tingle or itch would set me off. My sister got them from a hotel.

>>2384726
Those are 100% bedbugs. I wouldn't wish those cunts on the worst of enemies or people. They will fuck with your mind if you don't know how to handle them.
>>
>>2384738
>>2384730
Also what should I do with the box spring? A lot of the eggs seem to be between the railing and box spring.

The mattress seems to have made it through unscathed due to being an a tight cover i think i may just have to wash the cover and the mattress is salvageable.

Obviously best practice would be to throw it all out but that's a last resort at this point.

Already laid baking soda everywhere as well as sprayed rubbing alcohol everywhere.
>>
>>2384743
Baking soda doesn't really work. You need diatomaceous earth. You can purchase a big bag for like... $15 max.

As for the rest, spray the ones you find and inspect the box spring as thoroughly as possible. Check inside and out. If you get the DE you can coat the top and sides in DE and some even up inside it if the bottom is open. The shit gets stuck in their bodies and dehydrates them to death.

Gonna pass out but will check this thread in the morning. If you use a dryer, make sure the clothing and bedding gets a solid 30 minutes of peak heat. Any less than that and you won't be hitting target times. Any more than that will help you sleep at night, or at least your poor aunt.
>>
>>2384743
>>2384751
Oh and I forgot to mention that the black spots are their shit. Yoy can test black spots you find by rubbing them with warm water on your finger. If the spots smear red or pink, it is bug shit. Their crap is basically your leftover blood. Hunt them without mercy.
>>
>>2384752
>>2384751
Thanks, bro.

UPDATE: I've contacted the building manager and they should be sending an exterminator. Now I just have to wait for him to contact me...

When i called the manager there was precisely 0 sense of urgency. He tried making excuses saying if it was a 2 adult 2 child home it would be easier but as it is with so many people in here it's very expensive for the budget and I'm better off dealing with it on my own.

I went on to explain that it still seems isolated at this point and someone is actually getting sick off of this crap.

He then went on to try and dissuade me by saying if the city gets involved they're going to find more than bedbugs and they're going to start knocking down walls since they legally have to record and inspect every room.

All sound like horse shit to me so i psyched him out until he said he'd have him contact me.

Even the most basic things are like a headache with these bastards. Pulling teeth just to stop their own building from getting infected further. Stupid, stupid people.
>>
>>2384769
My family is really worried if the city gets involved they will force us to throw EVERY last piece of clothes, fabric, and mattress out.

How overblown is that fear? It seems to only be in one room so to have them go so far just seems incredulous at this point.
>>
>tfw watched a friend slowly lose his mind to bedbugs
>>
Buy some ivermectin horse dewormer (the oral type). Take it as directed for at least a week, any bedbugs that feed off of you will most likely die.
Also buy bedbug bags for all your mattresses and box springs. You will trap any bedbugs in your mattress and it will be much easier to see any additional incursions into your sleeping area.
>>
>>2384808
They won't force you to throw clothing out I don't think. If a piece of furniture was badly badly infested they might. Even if it seems isolated, assume they are everywhere. Start with the ground zero room first though. DE is also going to help you guys keep them from spreading. You literally line the edges of the rooms and make a line across doorways with it. Lining the house with the stuff keeps almost any bugs from moving about freely and also keeps shit from your neighbors out.

The biggest thing here is just don't let the little bastards get in your head. You aunt is likely more at risk of this. The damn things seriously are almost more of a psychological stress than anything. Call hardware or animal feed shops and ask where you can buy food-grade DE. It is human and pet safe. Unless your pet is a beetle or something, and then it is fucked if it gets in the shit.
>>
>>2385126
DE and similar desiccant dust are not entirely safe for humans or animals.
While it is unlikely, it is still possible to develop silicosis if you inhale it. So always wear a mask and remove animals from the room before applying it and don't let them in until it has a chance to settle.
Obviously don't apply it where it can be kicked up either.
>>
>>2385084
>>2385126
>>2385139
Thanks for the tips fellas.

Minor update: My aunt refused to sleep anywhere but her bed. I'm just hoping the protective cover on the mattress and as well as the one on the pallet/base were enough to keep them from spreading too prolifically.

We sprayed everything down with evergreen alcohol and 99% alcohol. It SEEMED clean, but the only way to really know i guess it to give it some time and ever increasing scrutiny.

My game plan for now is to come back at all the insects hard with boric aced as well as laced bait. Putting D.E in the corners and some underneath the bed. But before that i'm going to spray some insecticide once I've checked out the clothes and tossed some furniture.

Still no word on inspector but the super definitely doesn't want us throwing stuff out without covering yet apparently is disallowed from entering until someone is sent to deal with this.

Probably shouldn't have even told them because now they've got an excuse for not working like they should.

>>2385084
>ivermectin horse dewormer (the oral type)
I'm going to have to research this as my aunt is on a few pills. Don't want any interactions but shes apparently too ashamed to tell her doctor.

Originally he thought it was a fungus that caused her rash and itchiness but I'm certain the bedbugs were the culprit now.

>>2385126
>You aunt is likely more at risk of this.
I've been going to sleep thinking she may be dead in the morning. Imagine being 85, barely sleeping for weeks, constant itching and pain. And no one could explain what the problem was. The tired dazed look is really bad for old people.

It's worn her down so Definitely this needs to be smited down.
>>
>>2385205
It's actually better IF she just sleeps in the same place, any bedbugs that didn't get trapped in the bags/killed by the alcohol would literally go hunting for her if she didn't show up, leading to the infestation being spread even more.
Thankfully bedbugs are, at least physiologically speaking, relatively harmless. They don't spread any diseases like other bloodsuckers can.
>>
>>2385205
Don't bother with boric acid, it does not effect bed bugs anywhere near as well as it does other pests.
A bug really needs to consume it to have it effect them, this happens either because the bug cleans itself, or it directly eats bait. Bed buvs do not clean themselves and they have no interest in food that is not fresh, warm blood.
>>
>>2385207
I figured this was true but I just wanted her to have a whole night's sleep without having to deal with the itchiness.

It really was hilarious when her excuse for not sleeping in my room was " I can't sleep in another house!! I can't go bothering other people's homes!!". She makes up the dumbest excuses at times haha.

Also at this point I'm just grateful we didn't get the kitten we were thinking about a little over a month ago just before all this started.

>>2385208
>Don't bother with boric acid,

Actually we have a minor roach issue so I have to from time to time lay this laced bait down in order to keep their numbers down.

>>2385207
>any bedbugs that didn't get trapped in the bags/killed by the alcohol

How long can those little bastards survive trapped? My mom gave me some insecticide that's supposed to be human safe, but if i could avoid spraying the mattress by just getting the cover and letting them die over a week lets say, it's probably preferable to chemicals.
>>
>>2385212
>How long can those little bastards survive trapped?
Let's just leave it at, you aren't taking that bag off any time soon.
>>
>>2385214
Roger that.

This thread may have reached a peak here with all this useful information.

Thank you to everyone in this thread that offered their 2 cents.

If the thread is still alive later I'll post pictures of anything interesting for you all to see.
>>
Also, if you don't see a bed bug, don't spray. For the same reason boric acid doesn't really work, preventative spraying wont work either. The little guys have to ingest the insecticide, and since they never clean themselves, they are very unlikely to die from it.
Directly spraying them works though.
Desiccants like DE are your preventative measures, they wont instantly kill, but it will take it's toll over the days and weeks to come, especially as the heat goes up and the humidity goes down as we enter the summer.
>>
AAAAAAHHHHHH!!

>This thread
>>
>>2384332
Carpet beetle of some sort
They eat dried skin and other biomatter

You probably have an allergy to them or something of the like
They aren't a big deal.
>>
>>2384332

>city retard thinks that looks even remotely like a deer tick
>>
File: 079Slowpoke.png (113KB, 431x431px) Image search: [Google]
079Slowpoke.png
113KB, 431x431px
>>2385534
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.