[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Intro Zoology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: TreeOfLife.jpg (365KB, 953x1880px) Image search: [Google]
TreeOfLife.jpg
365KB, 953x1880px
Are there any good books you guys can recommend for understanding biology/zoology? I'm looking to expand my knowledge of animals/plants. What are good texts to learn from that are also pretty casual/entertaining?

Pic related, I'm specifically interested in the relationships between different families of animals.
>>
Bumping for interest.
>>
>>2383761

I'll give this a bump for interest and also request some literature on horticulture, if possible?
>>
>>2383761
Neil Shubin- "Your Inner Fish"
>>
I read less on biology and more on ethology, so most of what I'm familiar with relates to that.

Ecology and Evolution of Acousting Communication in Birds - Donald E. Kroodsma, Edward H. Miller
Animal Minds: Beyond Cognition to Consciousness - Donald R. Griffin
Evolution's Rainbow: Diversity, Gender, and Sexuality in Nature and People - Joan Roughgarden
Animal Camouflage: Mechanisms and Function - Martin Stevens, Sami Merilaita
Sensory Ecology, Behavior, and Evolition - Martin Stevens
Wolves: behavior, Ecology, Conservation - L. David Mech
The Wolf: The Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species - David L. Mech
The Formation of Vegetable Mould Thorugh the Action of Worms - Charles Darwin
Feathers: The Evolution of a Natural Miracle - Thor Hardson
Concealing-Coloration in the Animal Kingdom: An Exposition of the Laws of Disguise Through Color and Pattern: Being a Summary of Abbott H. Thayer's Discoveries - Gerald Handerson
Animal Coloration; An Account of the Principal Facts and Theories Relating to the Colours and Markings of Animals - Frank E. Beddard
ree of Origin: What Primate Behavior Can Tell Us about Human Social Evolution - Frans de Waal
Animal Social Complexity: Intelligence, Culture, and Individualized Societies - Frans de Waal
The Foundations of Ethology - Konrad Lorenz
A Primate's Memoir: A Neuroscientist's Unconventional Life Among the Baboons - Robert M. Sapolsky
When Elephants Weep - Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson, Susan McCarthy
Beautiful Minds: The Parallel Lives of Great Apes and Dolphins - Maddalena Bearzi, Craig B. Stanford
>>
>>2383961
Cheating Monkeys and Citizen Bees: The Nature of Cooperation in Animals and Humans - Lee Dugatkin
Honeybee Democracy - Thomas D. Seeley
Man Meets Dog - Konrad Lorenz
King Solomon's Ring - Konrad Lorenz
On Aggression - Konrad Lorenz
Peacemaking Among Primates - Frans de Waal
Good Natured - Frans de Waal
In the Company of Crows and Ravens - John M. Marzluff
Bird Brains: The Intelligence of Crows, Ravens, Magpies, and Jays - Candace Savage
Of Wolves and Men - Barry Holstun Lopez, John Baugess
Ecological Aspects of Social Evolution: Birds and Mammals (Princeton Legacy Library) - Daniel I. Rubenstein, Richard W. Wrangham
Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior - Temple Grandin
Gifts of the Crow: How Perception, Emotion, and Thought Allow Smart Birds to Behave Like Humans - Marzluff Ph.D., John, Tony Angel
Bumblebee Economics: With a New Preface, Revised Edition - Bernd Heinrich
In a Patch of Fireweed: A Biologist's Life in the Field - Bernd Heinrich
Mind of the Raven: Investigations and Adventures with Wolf-Birds - Bernd Heinrich
Dogs: Their Fossil Relatives and Evolutionary History - Xiaoming Wang, Richard Tedford himpanzee Politics: Power and Sex among Apes - Frans de Waal
Bird Brain: An Exploration of Avian Intelligence - Nathan Emery, Frans de Waal
Animal Weapons: The Evolution of Battle - Douglas J. Emlen, David J. Tuss
The Beak of the Finch: A Story of Evolution in Our Time - Jonathan Weiner
Tropical Nature: Life and Death in the Rain Forests of Central and South America - Adrian Forsyth, Ken Miyata
The Moral Lives of Animals - Dale Peterson
Nerve Cells and Animal Behaviour - Peter Simmons, David Young
On the Origin of Species - Charles Darwin
>>
File: 5f440da638d6fc39ff18ea85e4c6c6a0.jpg (145KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
5f440da638d6fc39ff18ea85e4c6c6a0.jpg
145KB, 1000x667px
>>2383963
>>2383961
Wow thanks a lot man, this is a lot to look into. Any of these in particular that you would recommend to start out?
>>
>>2383963
Damn, gotta copy and paste this list. Anyone else have any similar recommended reading? I'm interested.
>>
>>2384161
I really like Peacemaking Among Primates, King Solomon's Ring, and Mind of the Raven.

Konrad Lorenz is sort of the "father" of ethology, but some of his stuff may be semi-outdated. Anything by him is worth reading though.

If you are interested in morality among animals, comparisons between primates and humans/evolution, Frans de Waal focuses almost exclusively on that.

Bernd Heinrich is just a cool guy. Sort of generic nature documentary type stuff, lot of focus on birds (Lorenz focused a lot on birds and in particular geese as well--he mentions Lorenz often too).

On The Origin of the Species or any works from Darwin regarding this stuff aren't bad ideas either.

You could look into stuff from B.F. Skinner if you want to study more behaviorism that applies to humans (he was not solely focused on animals, but behaviorism as a whole--but some of his theories are now outdated and he later corrected himself in his old age). If you read Temple Grandin works, she may often talk of Skinner. If you're interested in livestock, look into Temple Grandin.

What currently interests you?
>>
>>2385056
Well I've never heard of ethology before now but looking it up sounds really interesting so I'm definitely going to try to look into some of these books.

Other than that, what I'm mainly interested in is kind of an overall rundown of I guess the evolutionary history of animals? Like something that describes the earliest lifeforms on earth and how they evolved and branched put into all the different orders and species we have today. And knowing what biological traits seprate animals into different major groups. I find that very interesting.

Also anything on dinosaurs. Love dinosaurs
>>
>>2385291
I have some interest in evolutionary stuff, but have found it more useful to learn about different animals, then use the internet to learn more "scientific" stuff like exact evolutionary branches.

It's not my main interest though, so some good books might exist for it, but I expect most of them to be textbooks. Textbooks are often expensive, even used, so I usually avoid them.

You also run into: the earliest lifeforms and most of evolution is just speculation. It's difficult to find really solid, straightforward stuff like "this animal evolved from this other animal, here is a very linear evolutionary path you can easily follow".

Darwin would have some of the most basic stuff regarding evolution, if that is your interest, though.
>>
>>2385291
For Dinosaurs, The Dinosaur Heresies is required reading

If you're into fiction, Raptor Red is good and by the same author
>>
>>2383961
>>2383963
do you know anything specifically about reptiles? and not dinosaurs I mean. Mostly stuff like squamates and crocodillians
>>
>>2385659
My interest is usually
mammals
birds
reptiles and everything else
insects

So I don't have much on reptiles.

Animal Camouflage: Mechanisms and Function covers some stuff about reptiles. But, it is a textbook, and they are usually $35+ even used.

>>2385291
I forgot to mention also: Evolution (Oxford Readers) - Mark Ridley. It is also a textbook, but one you can find used on amazon for less than ten dollars used. The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History might also be interesting to you. As well as The Beak of the Finch: A Story of Evolution in Our Time and The Song of the Dodo: Island Biogeography in an Age of Extinction.
>>
>>2385673
>liking mammals
gay
>>
>>2385676
They have more complex behavior/are more likely to have social groups and can be compared to human behavior more.
>>
>>2385678
>They have more complex behavior
that's not true, it's just because everybody assumes that so nobody bothers studying anything else
>>
>>2385724
Please give me reptiles with group/social structures?
>>
>>2385743
skinks are the best example group i can think of. a lot of lizards are snakes have at least some form of social behaviors. and I didn't mean complex behaviors as just social behaviors. here's a cool study on rattlesnakes being social
https://www.snakes.ngo/Amarello_Smith_2012.pdf
>>
>>2385799
>>2385743
oops heres a better article on it
http://www.bio.sdsu.edu/pub/clark/Site/Publications_files/snake_kin.pdf
>>
>>2385743
>>2385799
>>2385804
I'll try to put together some more things I can find

http://www.animalcognition.org/2016/01/12/interview-with-snake-behavior-researcher-melissa-amarello/

http://biology-assets.anu.edu.au/hosted_sites/Scott/2003chapplehm.pdf

http://publications.rzsnsw.org.au/doi/pdf/10.7882/AZ.2002.015?code=rzsw-site

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/amazing-social-life-of-green-iguana/

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003347213005186

http://dinets.info/sociality_in_reptiles.pdf
>>
>>2385814
Neat, thanks. I will read over these at some point.

Do you ever read books on the subject/know of any? Relating to actual BEHAVIOR of reptiles, not just "they survive by doing x mechanism like a robot"?
>>
>>2385893
I found this http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/lizard-social-behavior-stanley-f-fox/1102881874/2675512868554?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Marketplace+Shopping+Books_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP2988&k_clickid=3x2988
Seems promising, but I haven't read it
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.