[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homesteading fr

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2495.jpg (588KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2495.jpg
588KB, 1200x1600px
What are some GOOD livestock animals for a self-sufficient farm?
I've heard iffy things about sheep..
>>
Goats.
>Meat
>Milk
>Fur
>Eat anything
>Fast breeders and often twins/triplets

For meat, fur and milk depends on the breed but you can still eat or milk a non-dairy or meat goat. Cashmere/angora goat fur can fetch a nice penny.

Chickens
>Cheap to feed
>Easy to house
>Meat
>Eggs

Cattle require much more in terms of feed and space. Not worth it unless you rather them as pets or have the space and market for commerical farming.
>>
File: 2012-07-23-15.10.39.jpg (127KB, 800x714px) Image search: [Google]
2012-07-23-15.10.39.jpg
127KB, 800x714px
>>2383232

Throw in rabbits and you have the best bang-for-your-buck/acreage animals, though I'd suggest looking at ducks over chickens.

Ducks:
>More weather tolerant
>More disease-resistant
>Less aggressive and broody
>Good pest control while being easier on a lawn
>Generally quieter
>Produce good meat and eggs
>Are adorable

Just be very sure about containment. Goats are notorious for testing the limits of their pens, rabbits obviously jump and burrow, and basically every local predator will come after your poultry in one way or another.
>>
>>2383242
Yeah, rabbits are good too. Breed fast, cheap to house and feed. Rabbit meat isn't good for you unless you're supplementing it with other food too due to how lean it is but rex or angora rabbit fur can fetch a nice price too. Especially angora but you actually have to brush and maintain their coats.
>>
>>2383242
Duck eggs are absolute hell to clean off a skillet. Never fry duck eggs.
>>
>>2383242
>>Produce good meat and eggs
>>Are adorable
I foresee a problem here.
>>
>>2383242
none of those things are true about ducks.

Our cities aren't even legally allowed to relocate the ducks elsewhere because they're contaminated with Duck Virus Enteritis.

The naturally occurring virus has been confirmed from coast to coast and from Mexico to Canada in at least 22 states since first being diagnosed in New York in 1967.

According to the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, the mortality rate of DVE can be as high as 60% of all infected birds. Of those who survive the infection, many become carriers of the virus with no outward signs of illness. These carriers will shed the virus periodically, but are not identifiable as a “sick” bird.

Also you're massively wrong on every other count on your list as well.
>>
>>2383333
Quads do not lie. I got a duckling from Tractor supply who ended up looking like this. Cutest little bugger and he's so noisy. Now he is a pet and my dream of Turduckin is suspended.
>>
>>2383768
lol they sell ducklings at tractor supply? I thought they just sold Carhartt jackets and obnoxious mugs
>>
Goats. Absolutely fucking goats.

>>2383773
They sell chicks and ducklings. Generally they make you buy a minimum amount(like two or three) to discourage idiots from getting them as pets and then abandoning them when they turn out to be more work than they wanted.
>>
>>2383776
Yeah it's two for ducklings and like four for chicks. I meant to get them as a food source but I'm too attached to eat them now.
>>
>>2383776
I stole a chick from one when I was 13 and trying to pretend I was vegetarian. Raised it in my closet but I'd let it out to run around. Turned out to be a rooster but I had it almost a year before with ratted me out.

Parents were not mad but impressed I could hide it so well despite they were the kind of parents to go through your room all the time. Still made me give him up though if not only because they wanted him outside and our neighbors would get us in trouble for having farm animals.

I miss you, Calico Cock.
>>
File: pjj.jpg (3MB, 4272x2848px) Image search: [Google]
pjj.jpg
3MB, 4272x2848px
>>2383229
goats
easy as fuck to take care of make sure you have a good plot of land with grass bushes and trees with low branches. Used to raise them.
>>
>>2383232
I mean he could just get a miniature cow. They need about as much space as a goat.
>>
>>2383854
miniature cows are incredibly defect prone
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.