[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

herbivores forcefed meat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: 1490505608533.png (211KB, 950x839px) Image search: [Google]
1490505608533.png
211KB, 950x839px
If a pure herbivore is at that early onset of starvation where they're very weak and disorientated, let's say one were to give them a raw beef cut.
Would they get absolutely zero nutritional value from it?
Or would their starvation symptoms improve?
I know most animals would vomit it back up.
But let's say it was a horse. They're physically incapable of vomiting and would be forced to digest it. So what then?

There are lots of articles about herbivores eating meat on the internet, and all of them just drop buzzwords about enzymes and crap.
I know the horse would be malnourished. These samey articles made that very clear.

What they didn't answer is as I said: absolute zero nutrition? Or some but not enough?
>>
They would benefit from it, yes. Meat and plants provide some of the same benefits. Really depends on the herbivore for how much it would benefit. Their symptoms would not improve much as you might think but it may tide them over just a bit.

How long they could survive on only meat, I have no idea.
>>
my rabbit basically just eats dog food and books
>>
File: cow_eating_a_rabbit.jpg (91KB, 432x554px) Image search: [Google]
cow_eating_a_rabbit.jpg
91KB, 432x554px
>>2380038
there's no such thing as a "pure herbivore."
>>
>>2380057
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnYNmGMsU18
>>
>>2380055
My goat eats books too.
>>
If herbivores will eat meat,
will they eat each other during times of hardship?

If two horses were being starved in a gated area, would they attempt to kick each other to death for survival?
>>
>>2380066
i think one would just die first and the other one would eat it
>>
>>2380066
Sometimes yes, usually no. There are hundreds of cases of neglected horses that have not attempted to eat other horses.
>>
>>2380066
Chickens and cows will cannibalize if they have to.

Horses and sheep generally won't. Almost all grazers get some amount of animal protein through insects that get caught up in the grass.
>>
Herbivores are pretty able to digest meat.
Carnivores cant digest most forms of plant matter though.
>>
>>2380057
there's no such thing as a "pure carnivore" either in that case
>>
>>2380301
Yes there is.
>Any snake
>Any raptor
>Dolphins
>Cats
>Weasels
Look up obligate carnivores. There's no such thing as an obligate herbivorous vertebrate though.
>>
>>2380301
Truth!

even obligate carnivores tend to eat the vegetable matter in the stomachs of their prey. How much nutrition they get from a grass-filled stomach is questionable, but the fact that they eat it indicates some.

Plenty of carnivores will eat grass and leaves too. Don't tell /an/ though, this pisses them right off because nature doesn't fit into neat binary categories. Autistic children hate that.
>>
>>2380308
They eat that stuff just to bind up their stool to make it easier to pass.
Obligate carnivores have next to no ability to process carbs or plant matter. They get no nutrition from it.

>How much nutrition they get from a grass-filled stomach
Except it's not grass filled. It's filled with the fermented aftermath of eating grass that's able to be digested. Obligate carnivores don't have the flora to do that fermentation or a gut that's long enough for it to happen.
>>
>>2380312
>They get no nutrition from it.
except B12 and presumably a host of other micronutrients.
>They eat that stuff just to bind up their stool to make it easier to pass
because feathers and fur just don't seem to do the trick?
>>
>>2380315
>except B12 and presumably a host of other micronutrients.
Arent from the grass, it's from the gut flora in the prey thats digested the grass.

>>2380315
>because feathers and fur just don't seem to do the trick?
Not always. Calm your observation bias down.
>>
>>2380316
>Arent from the grass, it's from the gut flora in the prey thats digested the grass
a neat dichotomy you have there, but as you said they're the same thing at that point.
>Not always.
I was having some fun with you is all. I don't need an answer to a question that doesn't exist.

the reasons obligate carnivores consume plants are varied, but stool quality isn't likely to be one of them. If anything eating indigestible materials makes stools harder to pass. As my little jest implied. Not that that's a problem in the wild- an animal that can shit out a pound of fur a day doesn't need to consume twigs and branches to firm up its turds.
>>
>>2380320
Fur gets digested pretty quickly when eaten.
The only obligate carnivore you've seen eat grass is a housecat. Housecats live off of a very unnatural diet and are often dehydrated to some degree so they have trouble with passing stool. Thats why they eat grass sometimes. Indigestible things function as a laxative in short digestive tracts.

>a neat dichotomy you have there, but as you said they're the same thing at that point.
But it's not. If a cat eats a leaf it cant digest it. If it eats the fermented leaf paste in a rabbits guts thats not the same thing. Thats the product of the leaf being digested by bacteria.
>>
File: Scat5518d.jpg (362KB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
Scat5518d.jpg
362KB, 1440x960px
>>2380325
>Fur gets digested pretty quickly when eaten.
free biology lessons from someone that never goes outside.

thanks.
>>
>>2380329
For most carnivores it does.
You found one exception. How often do you see snakes cough up hair?
He was saying hair helps bind stool which it obviously doesnt.
It never enters the intestine when owls eat it.
>>
>>2380038
Most animals are not obligated herbivores/carnivores and can opportunistically prey on things outside of their typical diet such as deer scavenging other dead animals during dry seasons or winter.
>>
>>2380331
>You found one exception.
if you think that's the only one you really never get outside.
>>
>>2380308
You managed to trigger an autist right after warning someone about triggering an autist
>>
>>2380338
Then why dont you have any proof?
>>
>>2380303
obligate carnivores just mean that they need to eat meat - not that they don't eat plant matter at all.

also, if you're going to pull a single odd photo of a cow holding a dead rabbit in its mouth as 'proof' then a picture of a cat with grass in its mouth is also 'proof'
>>
>>2380341
>Then why dont you have any proof?
because anyone not retarded can google "scat with hair in it" and find 30 or 40 different species in less than 1 second.

and anyone too stupid to do that isn't worth arguing with.
>>
>>2380342
That wasnt me though.
Obligate carnivore means it can't subsist on anything other than meat and animal matter.
Dogs are carnivores but arent obligate carnivores.
Snakes are obligate carnivores. Dolphins are obligate. Felines are obligate.
Obligate carnivores are a thing. Obligate herbivores arent.

>>2380347
>scat with hair in it
Are the obligate carnivores? I've never seen a snake pass hair.
>>
File: 1296338238675.jpg (33KB, 300x296px) Image search: [Google]
1296338238675.jpg
33KB, 300x296px
>>2380352
>Are the obligate carnivores?
That would be an interesting thing to learn, wouldn't it?
>>
>28 posts/10 posters
no reason to read the thread with OP this retarded

I just come to say "pure herbivores" are not a thing on this planet.
>>
>>2380352
>Obligate carnivore means it can't subsist on anything other than meat and animal matter.

Wrong. It means all the nutritional requirements of the animal have to come from animal parts. Carnivory is a spectrum, even cats will have 10-15% plant matter in their diet due to grass and eating the intestines of prey animals. It's not about what you eat, it's about what nutrients you need to live. Most animals will eat a variety of sources simply out of sheer desperation. Because supplement makers figured out how to derive these animal-only nutrients into pills and powder, retards and vegans think this overrides the carnivory of their dog. Biology doesn't work like that.
>>
>>2380057
>>2380058
>>2380303
Oh boy here we go fucking go. Everything is a carnivore including herbivores because of 1 case in a fucking million. But carnivores are pure carnivores! Snakes eat vegetation all the time. So do cats.

I can't wait until all males are dead. They only push this shit because they're braindead edgy retards. This is the continuing cost of encouraging science to go mainstream. It doesn't lift plebs up. It just brings science down to the most plebeian level.
>>
>>2381942
you know they only dumb down science to encourage women to become scientists right?
>>
>>2380058
GOTTA FOLLOW THE LAWS OF THE WILD
>>
>>2380055
Me too anon, mine has a special taste for sketch books and textbooks.

He has probably eaten my hair before as well. I've woken up to strange haircuts.
>>
>>2381942
>femanon vegan triggered because cows eat mice and this damages her bizarre and deranged narrative that all domestic sp. should be extinct because it's LE SLAVERY MEME OMG)MGOGMOGMOGMLEGMOEGOMEOGMOEGOO otherwise
>>
File: index.jpg (13KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
13KB, 225x225px
>>2381942
i hope you're just pretending
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.