[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sheep Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: gulf coast native sheep.jpg (348KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
gulf coast native sheep.jpg
348KB, 1200x900px
When I have some land, I want to get sheep. Mostly for milk but also meat. I'm reading books and other sites too, but has anyone on /a/ had a flock of sheep? Any advice for me?
>>
>>2379654
Read the bible.
>>
they're dumber than a bag of hammers
>>
>>2379669
I've heard the they're stupid so you need to make sure there's no way for them to injure themselves in their field, but they're also less likely to try and escape than a goat is.
>>
File: IMG_4792.png (87KB, 400x280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4792.png
87KB, 400x280px
We have a similar plan but I'll be spinning and dyeing their wool, very cute animals. Will be monitoring this thread,

How many sheep are you planning on having?
>>
>>2379655
This, make sure you sacrifice some to YHVH
>>
Get some books. Storey's Guides are good. Find some BBs. Homesteading Today. Find a vet BEFORE you bring the sheep home that will treat livestock as livestock and not as pets. For instance, on-farm castration, tail docking, and shots for the cost of a farm call (price depends on distance) and then a small amount per animal (not sure what a vet might charge, as I do my own) as opposed to demanding that you bring the animals in so they can be done in the clinic, under sedation. That's pet mentality.
>>
>>2379689
If they get on their back sometimes they just stay on their back until they die because they're too stupid/lazy to roll back over.
>>
>>2379838
How many times a day should you check on your sheep? They will have a livestock guardian dog but I dont think a dog could flip a sheep. I have a book about dog breeds that are specific to guarding livestock.

>>2379818
Thank you anon. I have only been to pet vets so I'll have to find a farm vet for the sheep. I dont plan on having sheep for another 5 or so years, so I have lots of time to educate myself.

>>2379731
I'm not sure how many sheep I will start out with.
>>
>>2379654
>advice
Don't fuck the sheep.
>>
>>2379838
That's not quite accurate. Sheep can get "cast" and die but so can many other animals, including horses. It usually involves the animal getting caught with its legs uphill and its back against a barrier such as a fence, rock, or mound of dirt.
>>
File: images-116.jpg (38KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
images-116.jpg
38KB, 512x288px
>>2379689
>>2379838
https://youtu.be/RuzLXxbGc4c
>sheep just stands there calmly waiting for death to arrive

It's like they don't value their lives whatsoever. There's something very creepy about it if you ask me.
>>
>>2380022
No difference to the liberal Europeans then.
>>
>>2379901
>don't
Ha.
>>
Have you thought of what breed of sheep you want OP?
>>
>>2380604
I'm not sure yet. My parents are looking at land in North Florida, Tennessee, or North Carolina. Florida has a native breed of sheep that is resistant to the heat.
>>
I'm looking into getting some sheep but they're a bit pricier than I am willing to spend just this moment. They would be for meat and wool. In theory I could give them up to 2 acres of land but honestly I'd probably give them a third of an acre at best. Not sure how this would impact them. I'm in North Carolina, relocated here last year and started homesteading.
>>
File: 1494024841232.png (755KB, 716x655px) Image search: [Google]
1494024841232.png
755KB, 716x655px
>>
>>2381533
It all makes sense now.
>>
>>2379689
They escape just as much as goats.

Truly though, sheep are fucking awful animals to be cursed with.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.