[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My friend and I are having an argument, hoping maybe someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: naruto.png (13KB, 809x85px) Image search: [Google]
naruto.png
13KB, 809x85px
My friend and I are having an argument, hoping maybe someone can help us settle it.

If a man had to fight a bear to the death, and all he had was a sledgehammer, do you think he'd have any chance at survival? My friend is arguing that a sledgehammer swung by a 6'1 190lb male wouldn't be able to generate enough force to even harm a bear.
>>
no dude i think youd have a slight chance to beat it with a big ass sledgehammer
>>
>>2377496
If you manage to strike the bear in the head on the first blow, maybe. body shots to a bear with a sledgehammer is totally useless though.
>>
>>2377496
Grizzles can survive gunshot so I think a slow ass hammer blow might not be enough.
Though a clear blow to the head like >>2377507
said might work, but if it decides to stand to attack you will not be able to reach it. They're about 3 m tall standing on average and 1.5 m on all fours
>>
>>2377507
This.

I had to use a 40lbs sledgehammer last year and while I'm not a big guy to begin with, those things are tough to work with. I'm assuming OP means a 10-20lbs one though. Still, you better be ready and not miss.
>>
Think about it. how much do you think a grizzly arm weighs? 100 lbs? and they swing those meat cleavers like nothing. Im sure bears occasionally fight eachother too, so their somewhat used to being hit my 100lb solid masses, let alone theres have claws.

A single, first strike blow to the head with a decently heavy, blunt sledgehammer COULD work. Or just piss it off more.
>>
No way man. You'll have one chance to hit it in an eye AND dodge the retaliating swipe so you have a chance to escape. A hit in the head just doesn't work. Also, hitting a 9 feet tall bipedal bear right in the eye is a bitch.
>>
>>2377528
>A hit in the head just doesn't work

I bet it could. Not a guarentee, but it could. I reckon if, for some strange reason, a bear bent stood there and let me whack in the head, just once, i could probably kill it.
>>
File: revenant-bear-scene.gif (2MB, 618x355px) Image search: [Google]
revenant-bear-scene.gif
2MB, 618x355px
IF the man hit the bear right in the middle of the head, or the temple.

That is the only way.
>>
>>2377507
agreeing with this, you'd have to disable the animal in one swing because if you didn't, you'd be within reach of it

the only other thing i could think of besides the head would be maybe the spine from the side or behind, and i think you could only do that if it was a downward swing (e.g. bear down on all fours)

also think it'd depend on the bear species
>>
>>2377528
A plain old hit in the eye won't work more than a blow to the head. You might blind the bear in one eye but it'll still be pissed off and ready to fight to the death since you injured it. It has to be a hit to the head, a one-hit extremely lucky strike to instantly down it, or you have no chance at all.
>>
Depends on the type of bear. A black bear is going to be a hell of a lot easier to take down than a Kodiak
>>
“This bear was taken by World Famous Hunter and Hunting Guide C. Dale Peterson of Jackson Hole, Wy. It is one of only two Grizzlies know to have been killed ‘without’ the use of modern weaponry.

Verified by Game Biologists, My. Peterson killed this bear with his hands, and oddly enough, his teeth. It is known that this bear had been aggravated by a group of backpackers, shortly after Peterson, unaware of the previous happenings, came upon the bear. A fight-to-the-death ensued. Peterson, having his right hand and arm wedged in the bear’s throat, actually used his own teeth and jaws to pinch off the bear’s jugular vein. When the bear passed out from lack of blood flow to the brain, Peterson beat the bear upon the head with a stick.”
>>
>>2377619
Tactical fisting
>>
>>2377496
>fight a bear to the death
You lose this probably everytime. But if you encounter a bear one strike with your sledge hammer will likely be enough to scare the bear off they are pretty risk averse
>>
>>2377496

ITT: Bear fags acting like they're invincible.

A 20lb sledge with a 3ft handle on top of a 3ft arm, swung over an arc is an incredible amount of force connecting at a very small area. If you hit it in the head or at a joint, it will kill/injure the animal.

That said, the idea that you'd be able to swing it at full speed and hit what you're aiming at is unlikely. It's going to be rearing up and moving toward you, not just sitting there waiting for you to maneuver.
>>
File: 960.gif (2MB, 680x321px) Image search: [Google]
960.gif
2MB, 680x321px
>>2377619
Holy shit!
>>
>>2377496
depends on age of bear
>>
>>2377496
>6'1 190 lbs
you're not swinging shit, skeleton
>>
Even a weak guy can generate about 8500 ft/lbs of energy with a hammer that size. 3x the muzzle energy of a .500 SW cartridge.

You can absolutely kill a bear with a sledge. No, it's not going to just shrug if off if you hit it. It would kill you before you swung it, though.
>>
>>2377496
Bear skulls are really thick, it takes high-caliber firearms to reliably penetrate them. That being said, if you got a solid, arcing swing on the top of its head, in a lucky spot, you could stun or kill it.
Definitely not great odds of even getting that opportunity, though. Wouldn't take that fight for (vast sum of money).
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.