[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many chinchillas would I need to start a small time herd?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: chinchilla2.jpg (95KB, 622x599px) Image search: [Google]
chinchilla2.jpg
95KB, 622x599px
How many chinchillas would I need to start a small time herd? I have a finished basement with a lot of room, ventilation, doesn't get too hot or too cold and either way I can adjust the temp.

I'm thinking of having some as pets and others for some small time fur/taxidermy. It'd be small enough that my state won't feel the need to register me as a real fur farmer but either way I can provide more than the minimum housing. I know I'm not going to be able to make more money than I spend especially if I'm buying from a fur farmer for my initial stock. I get while rexes and angoras but I just can't find anyone who sells whole chin carcasses or will process them with feet, tails and head attached.

Also how can I humanely dispatch them aside from snapping their necks? Are they too big for a gas chamber? Electrocution is also out of the question.
Can I eat them? I've eaten squirrel and guinea pig.

pls no bully.
>>
I have no answer for you but am interested in your plan
>>
>>2377268
What is the aversion to neck snapping? It is by far more humane than a gas chamber and it shouldn't fuck up the skin or coat if done correctly.
>>
>>2377278
We're you thinking of something similar?
The chinchilla fur industry was thriving extremely well in the 60s. Not much now but China produces most of the world's fur products. From chinchillas, foxes, rabbits, etc. China and I believe Poland leads with fox fur.

With people being more concerned about treatment of fur baring animals, fir has picked you a bit in the USA. I know three fox breeders that lead in the online taxidermy community because they produce rarer colors, you can get a complete pelt(they won't tan them though) and one of them also sells foxes as pets.

Ive only seen a few chinchillas go by online as frozen carcasses and incomplete, damaged pelts I see pop up for a minimum of $60. I was lucky to buy up 20 of mosiac pelts for $12 a pop a few years back and I resold those for $60-80.
Not sure if the taxidermy community is just not interested, might be difficult to work with or what but I'd like to mount up some chins if not make a few cuffs here and there.

I heard of a chinchilla farmer getting found of animal cruelty for electrocution as his way of dispatching them. I don't like that idea myself but I find that odd since that's what fox farmers usually do.
>>
>>2377294
I can do it and have done it with rabbits and chickens. It makes me a little queasy(yet skinning and gutting doesn't) and despite I've never fucked it up before, I shake like a chihuahua in fear I will fuck it up. Chinchillas don't appear to have as much neck as a chicken or a rabbit, so I'm assuming it will be harder to get a good hold especially if it's not cooperating.
>>
>>2377307
That on top of their skin is so thin and delicate, I might tear the fur/skin pretty bad if not rip it's entire head off. You can sew up a bullet hole easy but sewing back on a head is tough to pull off even with a long haired animal to help hide the seams.
>>
File: 639229858_267204c8ff-300x274.jpg (36KB, 300x275px) Image search: [Google]
639229858_267204c8ff-300x274.jpg
36KB, 300x275px
>>2377294
because neck snapping isn't done with a device or a utensil, you're literally grabbing a creature and directly ending it's life with your bare hands

it's horrifying and reminds people that what they are conducting is inhumane
>>
>>2377315
There are devices that you can use to neck snap. You put their head in a groove and yank.

It's not that killing upsets me, it's just I don't want to fuck that up to the point it would be inhumane. You could say they're going to die anyway so who cares but I want to do it as quick and painless as possible along with not ruining the fur.

It's not just for fur either, I'm going to eat them and sell their bones for chump change. I'm also not just getting someone's pet.
>>
Nitrogen asphyxiation should be the most painless way and leave the fur intact.
>>
>>2377302
>live for 20 years
>owner is cool as shit
>feeds me and gives me house
>even collects my poops
>3rd birthday
>get killed
>skinned
>sold for $60
>>
>>2377353
They won't know what hit them. $60 is also nothing, that's just what I see C grade pelts going for. I'll be losing more money than I would ever make with them since it's more of a hobby.
>>
>>2377629
I know at petco they run for 100 for a regular and 150 for a fancy. Never heard of someone selling them for less than 100. Maybe you could get in good with a supplier or breeder or something and get a reduced cost but if you're planning on giving them good living conditions when you have no name brand behind you, you'll be just be losing money. I'd say give up on it.
>>
>>2377647
I was talking about pelts, not the live ones. As I said, I'm not going to be able to make back what I put into them. The people who do make money and more of of them have over 500+ chinchillas.

I'm looking to keep some as pets and have some babies for taxidermy and my own fur purposes when they're old enough.
>>
Feel like you would make more cash selling em as pets. Specially if you hand tame them. You can sell them younger and need less resources to feed them.
>>
File: 14602076256024.png (88KB, 568x548px) Image search: [Google]
14602076256024.png
88KB, 568x548px
>>
>>2377846
I'm not looking to make money via selling them dead or alive.

I have three people looking to get rid of chinchillas. If I get two of those I guess I'll just wait until they die since they're pets and I'm not going to kill anyones pet. I'll see you guys when I'm 46, then.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.