[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Husky help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

My friend gave me his Husky because his wife was allergic. He's a bit over a year old, crate trained. Real nice overall, except he keeps me up at night by howling. He likely misses his owner, but only really howls at night. Any advice on dealing with this?
>>
>>2376872
Get him so tired before bed that he passes out, or at least won't have the energy to howl.
>>
Well it's a full moon currently so he's probably howling at that. Remember, huskies are basically wolves

Hope this helps :)
>>
Are huskies normally aggressive? I know they're usually very playful, but a friend of mine had an incident where a husky killed her aunt's dog.
>>
>>2377092
they have a high prey drive, was your aunt's dog small?
>>
>>2376872

Anon, you could try teaching your dog the speak command and then teach him the quiet command as a paired cue.
>>
walk him at night
>>
File: IMAG1248.jpg (913KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1248.jpg
913KB, 2560x1440px
Do you have a nice open space nearby even a big garden ? Buy a cheap soccer ball and on his last walk immediately before you want him to sleep, punt the ball for fetch don't give him a break a soon as he drops it punt it again until he is panting and gassed. As you get him in the crate lay by door, keep it open , and stroke him until he gets comfy and lays down all snoozey. Stay by the door for another five or ten mins but now give him no attention (shitpost on phone or something). Once your think hes sleeping quietly close the door and creep to bed, if he wakes and sees you get to bed he will probably howl again I imagine, so calmly repeat the process but with minimal eye contact and speech. I got this from various YouTube videos all talking along the same lines.

This has worked so far for me with my border collie, he's only 12 weeks but if he sees me close the door he starts to howl. I'm guessing after some time he will accept this as his bed and start to get in there himself without being coaxed with treats.

Also crate training/problems general ?
>>
File: MiikaandBailey.jpg (111KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
MiikaandBailey.jpg
111KB, 960x960px
>>2376872

Hey m8.
Husky owner here.
I'm going to hit you with a wall of text.

First off. Huskies are no more related to a wolf than a Chihuahua. Never believe a person (or sadly trainer) who will try to tell you different.

Huskies are as dog as dog gets. But they're also an incredibly rewarding breed to own.

Their biggest con is their relentless energy drive. This is the reason most huskies end up in shelters quickly labelled as untrainable, aggressive, and hyper dogs. You need to remember these dogs were built to pull heavy sleds through rough conditions over 25-250miles. They we're bred to be energetic. When they're kept in incompatible environments you will start to notice the 'nuisance' behavior, such as digging, fence jumping, running off, furniture destruction and the nonstop singing. It's quite possible the husky you have is experiencing separation anxiety. These dogs bond quite well with their owners, so it's pretty devastating for them when they just get dumped like that. But, it too could be pent up energy. You can not own a husky without being an active person. It's not a good mix. So, if you're not a walker now, you better go buy a nice pair of shoes.

I highly highly recommend taking a husky for a run daily, if that doesn't suite you, a one hour bike ride with the dog at your side is a good way for him to burn energy. I personally like to do the first ten minutes walking, next ten at a light jog, half hour at a nice sprint, and take the next ten or fifteen minutes back down to a walk. Another good option is a large fenced in park or yard. Throwing a ball around, or lunging your dog on lead will help burn off energy! But a run or bike ride is by far the best way to burn off physical energy.

----
>>
>>2377411

My next biggest point with huskies is that they are an incredibly intelligent breed. They need a lot of mental stimulation. Training is one way to help drain this mental energy. Along with training, I REALLY enjoy Kong filler toys. Kong toys are hard rubber toys that you get the option of filling with food and treats. It keeps the dog mentally stimulated while he tries to figure out how to get the food out.

If you keep the dog both physically and mentally stimulated you will see a significant improvement in all around behavior.

In advance: Go hit up the dollarstore and petstore. Buy as many brushes as you can. I recommend a nice slicker, undercoat rake, paddle brush, and bristle brush as a minimum. Shedding rakes, blades, and various other combs are not a necessity but good to have. You will also want to get a variety of toys. Most the huskies I have owned love plushies and ropes. Oh, get a lint brush! You'll figure out that part in a few weeks! Good luck!
>>
File: 14936143745253.jpg (336KB, 1054x837px) Image search: [Google]
14936143745253.jpg
336KB, 1054x837px
>>2377058
>huskies are basically wolves

Why are huskiefags such fucking wolfboos.

Huskies don't even really look like wolves.
>>
>>2377414
OP here. I think I gassed him out a little bit earlier with a jog and then more play time. I didn't wake up to howls this time, but I also work at nights so I'll have to ask my wife if she heard anything.

I do have one of those tumbling Kong feeders, but he hasn't warmed up to it. His previous owner fed him in a bowl. Teaching him the feeder might be a weekend project for me. But in the meantime he has warmed up to fetching a tennis ball, so I guess that's progress. He really is a great dog, and once he is Crate trained I think he will be perfect. Thanks for all the info.
>>
>>2377435
are you triggered
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.