[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

JUST

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: C_PzlETXgAArBdU.jpg (53KB, 735x527px) Image search: [Google]
C_PzlETXgAArBdU.jpg
53KB, 735x527px
JUST
>>
he looks so proud, what a good boy
>>
Hands up, don't bite!
>>
>be cop
>assigned officer barkswell, the mandatory 4 legged diversity hire
>while on patrol see random 21 year old child of colour politely taking money out of the cash register while brandishing a firearm of peace
>decide to move in to and use my 9mm "please stop what you are doing" device, preferably in the head
>officer barkswell jumps the gun and mauls the poor child to death
This dog is the embodiment of police brutality
>>
>>2375809
I'm generally against the use of attack dogs by the police (or anyone honestly)
But he looks like a proud boy. I'm happy for him.
>>
>>2375809
Like Obama for niggers this is the good boy of pitbulls.
>>
These don't seem like they'd have the sort of handler response/attentiveness that you'd want for a dog doing such precise and demanding work. Herding breeds are used for this type of work for a reason--they are bred to be very very attuned to human commands.
Pits are bred from terriers and bulldogs, neither of which are bred to take much direction. The terriers are essentially just bred to pursue game with an extreme prey drive bred into them, and the bulldogs are bred just defend territory with an extreme resource guarding trait bred into them.
Neither of these are that useful for a hands-on working dog.
>>
>>2375819
Most police agencies use .40SW not 9mm. At least in the US
>>
>>2375809
nice to see new york being progressive as usual :) #notthebreed
>>
He's a pretty color. I'm not sure what to think of police dogs though, at least the ones trained to take people down. They seem so uncontrollable and don't seem to respond well even when their handlers call them off. This is judging from over a decade of watching Cops.
>>
>>2375849
>>2375854
APBTs are very people orientated and actually take direction very well, often without the need for reward. They are very easy to train and do much better in a kennel than GSDs and Mals; they don't go kennel crazy nearly as easily. Police also seem to have an easier time handling APBTs when they aren't pissing their pants over them. APBTs are also more tenacious, can handle more and do more work than other breeds I've seen used in police work. The one thing I would be worried about in APBT breed is the dog aggression. If it's a mix breed or mutt, theres a chance it may not be prone to dog aggression at all, but you don't know what it is prone to. That's why the dog has to be thoroughly trained when doing any kind of work; you don't just brush over something like resource guarding or prey drive because it doesn't seem necessary. You cover your bases.

t. dog trainer
>>
>>2375931
With all the negative press you'd think this would a bad idea. Especially given that police are currently stereotyped as being way too overzealous when it comes to apprehending suspects
>>
>>2375949
I read through a few different articles and they mention the dog specifically being a narcotics detection dog, not an attack dog.
>>
>>2375852
No. Most use 9mm Parabellum because .40 S&W is a stupid bullshit compromise cartridge that even the FBI now admits is pointless and they're dumping it.
>>
>>2375953
Interesting. Not sure why they made that decision but I guess even the police can be cautious about these things
>>
the other side of the collar says CUSTODY
>>
>>2375956
Also here's some sources that mention her being a detection dog before someone asks:

https://www.policeone.com/K-9/articles/241610006-NY-welcomes-first-official-pit-bull-K-9/
http://www.wkbw.com/news/nys-first-pit-bull-police-dog-receives-award
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julie-leroy/new-yorks-first-k9-pit-bu_b_9157774.html
>>
>>2375964
>“They’re just good, good dogs. The Achilles heel is the stigma,” Croft said. “She’s so friendly, she wouldn’t hurt a fly.”
Not to be mean, but I couldn't help but giggle.
>>
>>2375956

When it comes to detection, breed doesn't matter at all (in fact, mutts aren't unusual). To be considered, among other things, a dog needs good nose, work ethic, and trainability. The most important thing is the temperament, in particular the want for an intelligent and driven dog who's an eternal puppy.

Detection dogs are taught that their job is a searching game, and the more eager they are to get what they're looking for the better. It's pretty standard for these guys to be very bouncy because they want to play so much, which obviously is the exact opposite thing you want in an enforcement dog.

So probably this girl's a big goof who was obsessed with finding her tennis ball. The training agency thought she might be good at detection, and evidently they were right because she's now doing a great job.

Here's another detection pitt, this time a military dog.
>>
>>2375954
I myself? a .22 for me

I have very delicate wrists
>>
>>2375931
>>2375953
Interesting. I have a ABPT mix myself, I like pits. As for mals and GS being attack dogs Ive been told they are a 'bite and release' dogs unlike bully breeds which hold on(hence the 'locking jaws' myth).
>>2375985
As for being a sniffer, surely there are breeds better than others. Like I would assume hounds are better. I've also really that golden jackal x dog hybrids have been used for sniffing.
I work for UPS and we occasionally get sniffer dogs going around our trucks. They're all GS or mixes.
>>
>>2376002

Yes some breeds have better noses than others, but there's a reason hounds are standards for tracking and only the eager-to-please beagle is common in detection.

Hounds tend to have major motivation issues, in that they'll work incredibly hard when they want to but not much when they don't. An actual hunt, which a drug search is not, is generally what it takes to get them moving.

Like I said temperament is one of, if not the, most important traits for detection candidates. The highly trainable and tenacious pitt is a pretty good fit.
>>
>>2376002
It's not like you need the nose of God to smell weed or Coke.
>>
I might be mistaken but hasn't that photo been floating around the Internet for years?
>>
>>2375931
I didn't say they can't take direction well.
But just as they're bred to be dog aggressive, herding breeds are bred to be extremely handler-focused.
They can "do" the job but it's sort of like choosing a tool specifically meant for the job, because this one does actually get it done, so it's good enough.
>>
>>2376034
It's like using pliers and a hammer instead of a wrench
It's a shit solution and it probably wont end well.
>>
>>2375949
I think this is good for the breed. The problem with pit bulls is too many casual/incompetent owners keeping them. They are a demanding breed that takes dedicated training. When raised correctly they are as good a doggo as any.
>>
>>2375809
what a good dog, i'm proud of him
>>
>>2375809
I can already hear the drums of war.

>he was a good boy, he dindu nuffing
>>
>>2376034
And APBTs are not? They are easier to handle and more people orientated, whereas GSDs and Mals are wary of strangers. IMO they can do the job better, as they are stronger and more resilient. But all this dog is fucking doing is sniffing shit, something a retarded bulldog could do. In fact they often train random mix breeds for shit like this.
>>
>>2376570
As explained, they are literally not bred to. Stating "mals are wary of strangers" doesn't mean much.
They're bred to be shepherds--taking precise direction from a handler to do a job.
The other breed groups are not bred for this level of "human input".

Sniffing is entirely different, though. I had assumed this was a dog they'd trained for IPO/french ring type work, which just doesn't suit the breed group's specialized and refined instincts.

A sniffer dog is just fine. They're nice to most people/friendly, fairly laid back and easy to handle.
>>
>>2375954
/k/ pls, .40 works just fine.
>>
WE POLICE NOW
>>
>>2377075
Muh 10mm short
>>
>>2375809
Stay proud pupper
>>
>>2377075
Yea, but 9mm works just as well for less, and 10mm works much betterer.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.