[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY neutering rats.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: fightingrats.jpg (10KB, 260x175px) Image search: [Google]
fightingrats.jpg
10KB, 260x175px
One of my male rats has become WAY too aggressive. I originally had him in a vivarium (since he was young) with male and female rats, he constantly attacked different rats, he hoarded most of the food and became extremely overweight because of this. I decided to move him to a smaller cage with a few male rats. He didn't do well either. I'm considering neutering him because the thought of leaving a rat alone for the rest of it's life bothers me. The thing is, I'm broke as heck, I've done a bit of research and I've found a few people who neutered (chemical neutering) their own rats at home with no problems and little to no experience.
I probably sound stupid, however I do have a bit of veterinary experience, I've shadowed an equine and rodent veterinarian for 2 years and I have basic medical training.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010782405003021
This is what I'll be using.
Anyways, why post about it on 4chan?
I want to know if it's ethical and I want to know if it's legal in the state of Florida. All of the results I've come up with aren't reliable as far as legality.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/01/16/home-neutering.aspx
>>
>>2374147
Honestly, you probably know more than the average /an/ user does at this point. You realize most of us just google shit and act like we know things, right?
>>
It doesn't hurt to ask I suppose, but hey, thanks.
>>
Seems like a lot of work just to not have to house him alone. it's uncommon but some rats NEED to be alone

It'd probably be easier for you to put him in his own cage next to your other ones so he can see them but doesnt have to worry about them
>>
It's all going to be based off of whether you end up harming your rat. If it suffers, you could be liable. If he is not in pain, there is not much a case against you. It's not like it's illegal to manipulate your own property. But in the case of animals it just needs to be done humanely. If you are confident it can be done humanely, there's not an issue at least on the animal welfare side.

I do want to point out that is a single study, and though the conclusion mentions that the rats were infertile, keep in mind they even noted that it is not conclusive yet (they say telling words like 'might' and 'may'). They also not the doses are pretty specific, too. It's a lot of work for something that may not work.
>>
>>2374179
Well no, there are no cruelty laws regarding mice and rats, he can do everything from blowing it up to dressing it up in doll clothes.
Not that I recommend these things.
>>
File: 14602076256024.png (88KB, 568x548px) Image search: [Google]
14602076256024.png
88KB, 568x548px
>>
>>2374147
>I want to know if it's ethical
Does it matter? It's /your/ rat.

>I want to know if it's legal
Everything's legal if you don't get caught.

I would recommend going ahead with the procedure. The least you could lose is the rat, and to be frank they aren't exactly expensive pets.
>>
>>2374185
That's arguable. Had someone near me get charged for cruelty over rat/mice hoarding. In the end it only depends on if you're caught doing it.
>>
I don't fancy breaking the law, putting him in a cage next to the others is an idea, but rats are very social animals. I'll try that first and see how he does.
>>
>>2374147
It's illegal under federal law, unless you happen to be a registered vet. You'll of course have to get caught for any consequences to happen. Call around and see if you can find a reasonable price from a vet. My vet only charges 45$ for neutering and 55$ for spaying. But I understand rodent vet's are hard to come by.
>>
>>2374292
>Spending 45 dollars to castrate a 2 dollar rat
>>
"ᴸᴼᴸ ᴺᴵᴳᴳᴬ ᴵᴹ ᴾᴼᴼᴿ"
>>
>>2374298
>spending 250$ on a cage for a 2$ rat
>spending 200$ in food yearly for a 2$ rat
>spending 240$ a year on bedding for a 2$ rat.
>spending 75$ minimum for cage accessories on a 2$ rat.
>>
File: 1491128155048.png (180KB, 665x800px) Image search: [Google]
1491128155048.png
180KB, 665x800px
why not just keep his sexual tension down by giving him some rat jobs
>>
>>2374347
This. Also keeping him alone isnt bad i know its hard not to project your human emotions onto animals but the truth is They just dont have the same ones as us. Just seperate him, it'll be fine bb
>>
What rat cage cost $250??? If you spend $250 on a rat cage I feel sorry for you.
>>
>>2374147

OP, feed him to the cat to set an example for those who would dare to challenge your authority.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.