[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't you adopt a greyhound anon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

File: dexulesnogglamainpic1.jpg (59KB, 530x470px) Image search: [Google]
dexulesnogglamainpic1.jpg
59KB, 530x470px
>plenty of retired racers who need good homes
>don't bark
>affectionate
>chill most of the day
>VERY fast with incredibly hihg speed
>great health, bred for performance
>friendly with kids, strangers and other dogs
>get cold easy so need to wear cute jackets
>>
>>2373622
They aren't a common thing in my country. Street dogs and pariahs are more available.
>>
Soon my friend, soon.
>>
>>2373622
We have a greyhound park near me so I know many people who do this. Greyhounds so just so big, i live in an apartment so it's easier to have a small dog.
>>
>>2373622
>VERY fast with incredibly hihg speed
I can't be assed to run this vespa on legs around the neighborhood
>>
>>2373629
You would be surprised but greyhounds actually make for great apartment dogs, they love sitting on sofa arms and other high up places just like cats

They are fast sprinters but they only need to expel their energy once or a twice a day and they don't have much of it.
>>
Is it easy to adopt a retired racing hound in the US? I love these dogs. I'm not in a position to own a dog at this time but when the time comes I'd love to have one.
>>
File: gh.jpg (37KB, 600x412px) Image search: [Google]
gh.jpg
37KB, 600x412px
>>2373622
I've wanted one for years but my cats absolutely despise dogs to no end
Just 7 more years until I can get one
>>
>>2373636
Pretty sure, you just have to not be a shit person or not shitty long enough for house visit to go through but let's assume you're a good dude.
>>
cute!
>>
>>2373655
Do they generally dislike being in coats?
>>
File: Polar_Fleece_Ult_4ec12556e4476.jpg (42KB, 506x362px) Image search: [Google]
Polar_Fleece_Ult_4ec12556e4476.jpg
42KB, 506x362px
>>2373656
I live in a cold country and the only greyhounds I see are all in jackets, I assume they are thankful for it.

That's overkill though, something like this is much more common
>>
File: 818NGKO4+ML._SL1500_.jpg (157KB, 1500x1248px) Image search: [Google]
818NGKO4+ML._SL1500_.jpg
157KB, 1500x1248px
>>
I have two middle aged/ older dogs now. Once they pass I'm not going to have any more pets until my son starts begging for a puppy and at that point a retired greyhound will be at the top of my list
>>
>>2373635
neck self
>>
>>2373622
>prone to hip problems or twisting their fucking stick legs

t. owner of an old lurcher
>>
>>2373622
Not too good with cats I heard, otherwise they would be perfect. But I am thinking of Italian greyhounds
>>
>>2373622
my neighbor's half blind greyhound once collided with me at full speed while I was carrying groceries.

that day I learned my neighbor doesn't have a very strong grip, and that the old dog fucking loves smoked turkey legs.
>>
I used to work at a kennel/dog day care in college and we had two retired greyhounds that came in regularly. They were the most chill and affectionate dogs ever.
>>
File: IMG_20170327_125840.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170327_125840.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
B-but I already have two of them, anon
>>
>>2373656

In my experience they dislike it the first time or two, then like them when they realize the coats keep them warm
>>
>>2374698
I bet they'd learn to like it better if you
>Tool them outside without a coat for a few minutes and they get a bit chilly
>Put coat on once they get chilly so they realize it gets them warm immediately
>>
>>2374171
But anon is right. They are bred to be in a box all day with short times of heavy running. Greyhounds make great apartment dogs. We had a track in our city and tons of retired dogs get placed in apartments and do amazing.
>>
But I already own three whippets and an afghan hound. I'm full up atm. I do love greys however, some day I'll own one.

>>2374175

Italian greyhounds are very different from greyhounds temperament-wise. Very demanding and high-energy, very frail and vulnerable (iggies breaking a leg after jumping off the couch is not uncommon) and most are a pain to housebreak, some never will. If you want something more akin to a grey but smaller then a whippet is more for you, although they are more playful than retired greyhounds.
>>
>>2374174

This is true, racing bred greyhounds are very prone to injuries on their legs, muscles and sinews. I blame the breeding for a mister universe on stick legs. I actually race my sighthounds for a hobby (gambling is prohibited over here which is good and should stay that way) and nine times out of ten if a dog injures itself during a run it's a greyhound.
>>
Don't think dog racing is a thing here.
>>
>take greyhound out to the local dog park
>he sees a bunch of different dogs all running around playing together
>runs over to join them
>bouncing around trying to get dogs to chase him
>every time one of them does greyhound dashes off at lightspeed
>other dogs cant keep up and give up within a few seconds and go chase the slower dogs instead
>greyhound speeds back and repeats process of trying to get them to play with him
I feel bad for my dog. Too fast for friends, not fast enough to outrun the loneliness brought about from his speed.
>>
File: sanic.jpg (28KB, 600x752px) Image search: [Google]
sanic.jpg
28KB, 600x752px
>>2376078
>not fast enough to outrun the loneliness brought about from his speed.
>>
>>2373622

I did.
Great doggos - completely chill bros.
>>
>>2374490
very cute anon
>>
Are Whippets good too?
>>
>>2376078

Very similar to my dog.

Not a greyhound, but a terrier breed. He just runs all the time. It's like he drank a can of Menergy, did a line of coke, and then injected himself with kenyan DNA. Taking him to a dog park to play and chase other dogs is useless because he catches up in no time, and no dogs want to chase him because he's too quick for them.
>>
>>2373629
>I have an apartment so it's easier to have a small dog

>It's easier to get a small dog so I can have the illusion that I don't have to walk it as often or do as much training with it
>>
>>2373622
>>VERY fast with incredibly hihg speed
can somebody post the meme please, i forgot to save the image
>>
I really want one, they seem to fit my lifestyles pretty well. Anybody know of any greyhound adoptions in the SF/Bay Area?
>>
File: 20170402_183107-01.jpg (3MB, 2341x4632px) Image search: [Google]
20170402_183107-01.jpg
3MB, 2341x4632px
I don't have a greyhound, but I do have this spastic terrier mix who likes to pretend she's a greyhound and gets cold as soon as it hits 60 degrees. Do they make greyhound-type coats this small? I've looked all over and can only find them for anklebiters and bigger dogs like sighthounds.
>>
>>2377679
Italian greyhounds and whippets are pretty small so I'd assume there'd have to be coats out there in the right size.
>>
>>2376078
My greyhound's an ex-racing champ. Whenever she can convince other dogs to chase her she accelerates at a lightning speed then slows down to keep the next past dog exactly 1 body length behind her. No matter what speed. Always one body length behind.
>>
>>2376078
Aw he needs another greyhound to play with
>>
>>2375417
>>2373622
What are those fat little shits that Jenna Marbles owns? I don't want whatever those are.
>>
>>2376664
one google search away friendo
>>
>>2377737
Italian Greyhounds

they are like normal greyhounds but smaller and with tons of excess skin
>>
>>2373622
They eat cats and babies
>>
>>2377555
Just Google greyhound rescue, there are tons of them especially on the southern east coast. Even if there are none bear you you could probably see if one will meet half way, or if you're super lazy you can find one that will drive to you for a home visit.
>>
>>2373622
They aren't bred to live a long life and will begin to suffer from health problems after a few years as
>>2374174
pointed out.
It's best for them to be put to sleep after they are retired from racing to spare them the pain.
>>
>>2377777

chekt
>>
File: greyt_weekend.jpg (144KB, 463x599px) Image search: [Google]
greyt_weekend.jpg
144KB, 463x599px
>>2377956
>It's best for them to be put to sleep after they are retired from racing to spare them the pain.

Congrats Anon you supergiant faggot, that is one of the most stunningly retarded things I've ever read on this North Korean Macrame Site!

I help rehome ex-racing greyhounds, most live between 12 and 16 years and aside from the usual health problems all dogs have, they are pretty healthy doggos.

An exception might be any that come from kennels with very low standards, where the dogs have been mistreated, malnourished and drugged for performance, but that's rare here.
>>
>>2377956
Jesus Christ anon I wasn't saying they should be put down. My dog's just getting up there in years and his stick legs just mean you can't let him get too excited to the point he trips and twists his foot. He's got a little sister who'll run when I let them out at top speed and it causes him to run aswell, then he trips over his chicken legs. I just need to watch him when he goes out and make sure my girl isn't running when she gets outside. There's absolutely no need to put an otherwise healthy dog down. I was just warning people that they need to be extra attentive of their hounds as they get up in years and the problems they're prone to getting
>>
>>2373665
>lol le epic star wars reference xD
>>
>>2378436
>hahahaha I'm a bitter faggot and you should be too
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.