[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

storytime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

>see a raven eating something in the grass outside of my window
>figure it's a mouse or something, but don't want to take my camera and zoom in on it to spoil my appetite
>raven flies away with the prey in its mouth, some guts apparently spilling out

>come downstairs
>raven flies by and into a tree
>my mother notes that there's been a lot of activity in that tree today, and wonders what might be going on there
>raven flies away with something big and round in its beak
>speculate that some other birds have their nest there and it's plundering it

>raven comes back and hops around in the dense ivies growing on the tree
>two blackbirds are in the tree too and start chirping loudly and wildly as the raven rummages through the ivy
>flies away, again with a big round something in its beak

>happens once more
>blackbirds can't fend it off, but this time both of them chase after it as it flies away again with another chick in its mouth
>I was counting and figure that's at least four of them now

>my mother gets pissed at the raven and chases it away when it returns afterwards, since we're done with lunch ourselves
>probably no chicks left anyway, the blackbirds also calmed down
>mother sad, tell her that's nature

RIP blackbird couple's offspring, though.

I wish I had taken some photos of the raven in flight and of the blackbirds trying in vain to chase it off, but I was having lunch myself, but here's one of one of the blackbird mother after it was already over.
>>
File: black manta as a bird.jpg (1MB, 2376x1584px) Image search: [Google]
black manta as a bird.jpg
1MB, 2376x1584px
>>2372802
>post this thread
>turn off PC
>hear some fervent chirping again
>blackbirds chirping angrily at the raven as it casually hops through the tree

It probably just came back because it often hangs out in the tree anyway.

We don't have a lot of blackbirds here; is there anything I can do to make sure they have better luck next time? Put up a nest box for them?
>>
>>2372810
Looks like there was another chick left. There was more chirping outside and the raven was eating another chick in the grass before flying off with it.
RIP ;_;7

Do blackbirds eat suet cakes?
>>
>>2372832
yes I have some blackbirds you visit mine
>>
I saw a baby raven on the ground right in front of my property. Parents ravens were like crazy flying around any people that came nearby and doing their scary chants. It was a uncomfortable atmosphere like a scene from a Hitchcock movie. That latest for a few days then the parent ravens gave up on the fallen son and ate him, then flew away and I haven't seen them since then.

I believe that baby raven broke a few bones from the fall and after a few days the parents noticed that it was beyond helping.
>>
>>2372810
>Anything you can do?
No, not really. Ravens have to eat too. There's a good chance the raven was flying the blackbird chicks back to its nest as food for its chicks.

>Nest box
Blackbirds and other thrushes won't put a nest in a box. They have what's called an "open cup" nest, which is what most people think of when they think of bird nests. Birds that use boxes are birds that naturally nest in tree holes and other cramped places.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.