[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the hell is this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: 20170503_182118.jpg (3MB, 2167x2006px) Image search: [Google]
20170503_182118.jpg
3MB, 2167x2006px
Is it edible? Do I kill it?
>>
Refer to >>2366072 for why you should not eat anything you have no ID on
>>
I think it's one of the species from this genus, but I'm not sure which one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morchella

Also, listen to the other anon. Don't go eating mushrooms if you're not absolutely certain which species it is.
>>
>it just keeps going
>>
>>2372265
>>2372268
>>2372270
I should probably have said I'm visiting from /k/ and don't really know what I'm doing so I'm grateful anons. I wasn't planning on munching it after the first reply but the concern is appreciated
>>
It's a morchella. Yes, it's edible. No, you shouldn't take my word for it.
>>
Why do you lucky fucks have morels growing right next to your fucking house but I have to go trekking in the fucking middle of nowhere to get them.

It's not fair.
>>
>>2372303
Looks like a black morel to me. All morels are edible as long as they're cooked, but yeah OP should probably ask an expert.
>>
OP, slice it in half vertically and show us a cross section.
>>
>>2372308
Do I wear gloves to do this?
>>
>>2372317
No need. Mycotoxins generally dont transfer through skin as a rule.
>>
File: 20170503_201737.jpg (3MB, 1865x2159px) Image search: [Google]
20170503_201737.jpg
3MB, 1865x2159px
>>2372318
>>
>>2372322
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morchella_elata

Congratulations, you have easy access to black morels. Look for them around April. They're delicious.
>>
>>2372325
Is there a way to encourage more of them? This is the only big one and has it already spores?
>>
File: snailed.png (3MB, 1252x1268px)
snailed.png
3MB, 1252x1268px
>>2372322
I think that is a snail inside the mushroom
>>
>>2372332
Slug
>>
>>2372332
It's a pill bug or slater. I've already sent him on his merry way.
>>
>>2372332
>>2372335
Oh.
>that
Yeah that's a slug.
>>
>>2372328

It's an ascomycete, specifically a cup fungus. The fertile region is those little pits covering the cap. They're a bit picky with their growing habits, but I guess just maintain the conditions you found them in if you want more. Based on the cross section and you finding it in what looks like an urban environment with a pile of mulch, what you most likely have is morchella importuna. If you want to know more, here's a link.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/morchella_importuna.html
>>
>>2372337
>Neat.
Thanks anon. Yes that's a semi urban environment (we are out in the country) but that's a shady, wet spot by a fence behind a flowerbed covered in bark.
>>
>>2372340
Nice. If there's no trees in the vicinity, that means it's growing as a saprobe (as opposed to being mycorrhizal, meaning that it forms a symbiotic relationship with trees). There was another mycology anon posting a little while back who was doing research into cultivating them. He'd know more. I mostly do agarics and boletes.

I wonder how a mushroom and fungus general would do on this board. Seeing a lot of mushroom related threads lately.
>>
>>2372341
Time of year for it i guess anon.

There used to be trees in that area but not for a couple years. There were rhodendrons about three or four feet away which had been there for maybe 20 years but they got genocided Monday.
Other side of fence is concrete.

I'll just keep the area moist and see what it does next year. I am as you may have guessed retarded about shrooms but would love to encourage them.
>>
>>2372341
>>2372344
Actually seeing as we will likely get some shroomfags in here off the OP and as OP is a fag and also me, I would like to learn more about shrooms. Do please share mycology and that sort of thing.

Isn't there some kind of giant tree eating fungus colony in America the size of a town? (Yes I could Google this but I want to hear anons explain it)
>>
File: Armillaria07.jpg (60KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
Armillaria07.jpg
60KB, 480x320px
>>2372345
It sounds like you're referring to armillaria mushrooms. They're parasitic mushrooms that fuck up trees pretty badly and spread like crazy. There's one colony (i think in oregon) that covered almost four square miles. I live in the Appalachian mountains, so we get shittons of Armillaria mellea in late summer/early fall. It's a good thing they're edible, because they're fucking everywhere.

If you've ever seen these thick black vein-looking structures on trees... that's Armillaria feeding off of it.
>>
File: Armillaria mellea.jpg (66KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
Armillaria mellea.jpg
66KB, 700x525px
>>2372345
>>2372347
They're cute looking mushrooms to be honest. Shame they're so destructive.
>>
>>2372255
>Do I kill it?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHA
>>
>>2372305
you could get a kit on amazon for converting your yard into morel fields
>>
>>2372347
>>2372350
Mushrooms are absolutely terrifying and fascinating in a really slow way.

The idea that there's this biological war being fought in the back garden that's been going on for millions of years. It's really quite cool.

>>2372360
Nice of you to visit Reddit.

>>2372361
I am kind if tempted to see if I can farm them in the back garden. Mostly for personal use although they're $70 a kilo or something, a kilo is a lot of mushies.
>>
>>2372363
My back yard is quickly running out of lawn as I allocate more and more space to raised beds for herbs/crops. Frankly I like it better this way - lawns are a waste.

I was eyeing a morel kit myself, but it's been a tad busy lately for me to set it up.
>>
File: 1489998359535.png (314KB, 717x436px) Image search: [Google]
1489998359535.png
314KB, 717x436px
>>2372268
>Morchella species contain small amounts of hydrazine
mfw these wild mushrooms contain rocket fuel
>>
>>2372415
yeah, but hydrazine boils off at the drop of a hat. It's why you should keep a fan around when cooking them and not breath the initial fumes in.
>>
>>2372272
Post feminine benis if you really are from /k/
>>
>>2372363
>Reddit
What that has to do with anything?

OP is a retard because his second thought was to kill and a double retard for thinking he can kill it.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.