[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

dog raising questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

I was wondering how difficult it really is for people to teach dogs commands, or how to raise it more effectively.
I know that some dogs are simply dumb or stubborn, which makes it harder to get to them, but besides that... how difficult is it to teach them anything? From sitting to opening doors or so, I would imagine that it should be relatively easy as long as the dog has fun throughout the training and you got enough time as well as patience (while treating it properly). Is there anything else to it?

Also, if a dog is scared of bathing or simply doesn't want to, shouldn't it have been an easy thing to solve by just making it comfortable and / or giving it a treat after a successful bathing session? I know this does not apply to every dog, but as much should be obvious.
>>
>>2370360
It's a lot easier than you might think, people are just lazy. Just think of how stupid people were centuries ago and even they could do it.
>>
It's not easy to raise a completely obedient dog but it's also pretty hard to raise one that is a total disaster as well.
>>
>>2370363
I have the feeling that dogs back then were actually more obedient as people didn't overtreat them as much and there was a lot more farming around.

>>2370365
That's the opposite of what the other anonymous poster is telling, so why do you say that?
>>
>>2370360
Dog training is easy if you apply yourself and work on it regularly.

>>2370382
PFFT. Dogs back then weren't more obedient. It looks like it because all you get is the one story of that guy who trained his dog to walk on its two hind legs or go get his kid from school everyday. But for every dog like that, there were thousands poorly trained dogs because "oh well, it shat in the house, time to beat it up".
>>
>>2370360
It's not that difficult, it takes some prior knowledge before you begin training, and some patience. It gets much harder when you don't actually enjoy training. Most people find it boring, irritating and because they never looked into how to actually do it, they think it's hard and just go by what makes sense to them.

I try to tell people now to train their dog in between commercial breaks, that way it's less boring for the people because they have to wait for the commercials to end anyways, and it breaks up the lessons nicely. Also keeps the dog from losing attention too.

>>2370523
>implying dogs were kept in the house at all
>>
>>2370363
I could be wrong but people know a ton of trivia now, but overall older people were not that much more stupid, even 4k years ago. Well there were assorted custom brain washings and reconceptions but they knew more about actually growing food, could knit and sew and make soap and all that. If someone is studying this, please post some book for me to read.
>>
>>2370683
I suppose the amount of time to train a puppy the most basic tricks would take a month or two? If the dog remains challenged throughout by getting other tricks and games, it would pick up tricks even faster?

>during commercial breaks
That doesn't even seem like a lot at all. I imagine, if I had a dog, I'd train him every day for two hours (of course not straight-up, but more like 20, 30 minute sessions).
>>
>>2370360
>how difficult is it to teach them anything?

It's not. Dogs are easy as fuck.

They start learning the moment they move into the house, and it's just a matter of taking the time to teach them what you expect out of them, and how to communicate that expectation.

Dogs use body language, vocalizations, and personal contact to communicate, just like us, and they watch us all the time. People teach their dog something every day, whether they realize it or not, and they communicate with their dog in ways they aren't even aware of.

All it takes is consistency and clarity, and a dog will learn whatever you want to teach it.
>>
>>2370363
>Just think of how stupid people were centuries ago

Intelligence hasn't really changed much, if any, over time. We've just had more time to experiment with the intelligence we've had.

The successful lunar landing that took place in 1969 used the same math developed by Newton in the early 1700's, who simply built on shit developed by the ancient Babylonians, Greeks, Chinese, and Indians thousands of years before.

If we were actually getting smarter, than doing the geometry and algebra created thousands of years ago would be easy for everyone today, but it's not.
>>
>>2371656
>I suppose the amount of time to train a puppy the most basic tricks would take a month or two?

Not even.

I'd give it 2 weeks, max. A few days to learn the basics, a few to practice under distraction, a few days to do it all with time demands.
>>
>>2371656
20-30 minutes is way too long for puppies, they don't have that kind of attention span yet. Even with older dogs there's not much reason to go beyond 15.
>>
>>2370360
>Also, if a dog is scared of bathing or simply doesn't want to, shouldn't it have been an easy thing to solve by just making it comfortable and / or giving it a treat after a successful bathing session?
Yes, you can countercondition a dog who is scared of baths or otherwise doesn't like them to feel more comfortable, but it will usually take more than just "a treat after a successful bathing session."

Instead, you would need to gradually work the dog up to first being comfortable in the tub, luring it in with treats and feeding it treats while it stands in the tub. Then slowly introduce water, giving lots of treats during the whole thing. The dog should be given treats during the bath too.

So yeah, it's a simple matter of giving the dog treats to make them associate bathing with good stuff, BUT for a dog who truly hates baths, it takes more than a single treat after the bath to actually make them comfortable.
>>
>>2372016
My dog closes her mouth and refuses treats in the bathroom. Send help.
>>
File: DSCF3446.jpg (196KB, 1024x1170px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF3446.jpg
196KB, 1024x1170px
>>2372019
Dogs will do anything for this shit.
>>
>>2372185
I tried actual meat, she resolutely kept her mouth closed and looked away.
And she refuses treats when she comes in the bathroom on her own because somebody's there.
>>
>>2372186
There are waterless shampoos for dogs available.
>>
>>2372208
How good are they?
>>
>>2372186
give her time. my pup freaked out the first time i tried to bathe him, i had to drag him into the bathroom on the leash. he kept getting filthy at the dog park, so i needed to bathe him. after a couple more baths, he now runs to the tub when we get home from the park even if he doesn't need a bath.
>>
>>2372312
She's 2 and had a bunch of baths by now. She just... locks up, looks ahead and stops moving. She tries getting out a few times, but after being told no, she stops trying until you tell her "get down", she'll happily jump out.
>>
Once you can trust your dog and your dog can trust you training will come easy
>>
If you are communicating clearly then you shouldn't be having any problems.
>>
what is a good name for a french bulldog?
>>
>>2374086
Adolf
>>
>>2374086
>>2374116
Adolphe, it's french-ier.
>>
OP here, thanks for all the answers. Very helpful!
What I was wondering as well: I heard that teaching dogs commands such as "attack" is very problematic as they tend to become less social, more attached to the owner, but distrusting of other humans or so...? Is that true? I suppose it's because you teach a dog to "snap" or "hunt" at your will, even though that command is usually for protection which the dog would do either way?
Also, how would one teach a dog that kind of command properly?
>>
>>2370360
>train beagle
>hyperactive because always chasing scents
>learned heel, sit, up (or go here,) down, and roll over.
>half of the time requires treats to 100% execute command
>hold treat long enough and he does all fucking five commands without a single command from me
>>
>>2375803
>needing a treat still so that it will do anything
Tho I guess that's the norm for beagles.
>>
File: bop.jpg (1MB, 2305x2450px) Image search: [Google]
bop.jpg
1MB, 2305x2450px
>>2376258
>go to general area where treats are stored
>does his 5-trick repertoire
>hfw
He is on a calorie-counted diet because at one point he reached 35 pounds. He's 25-27 currently.
>do his tricks around me when I did not ask for it
>no treats
>do the same with other people when I'm not around
>gets treats
>gets fat
>>
>>2376589
Shouldn't that be proof that you can train the dog further, though??
>>
>>2377603
Beagles are extremely intelligent. It's just hard to have them focused. Some individuals more than others.
>>
>>2377611
why get one then

besides looks
>>
>>2379365
When trained well they're bretty good dogs. They're the ultimate pleb filter.
>>
>>2379825
So

>>2376589
is a pleb then?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.