[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ISOPODS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7

File: DSCN0456a.jpg (417KB, 2720x972px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0456a.jpg
417KB, 2720x972px
I think we should breed land isopods to that they are much larger.
>>
File: giant isopod 2.jpg (39KB, 440x280px) Image search: [Google]
giant isopod 2.jpg
39KB, 440x280px
>>2369799
Or you could go to the deep sea
>>
Would they come with a certificate?
>>
>>2369803
Looks like an enlarged wood louse
>>
File: giant isopod.jpg (52KB, 450x475px) Image search: [Google]
giant isopod.jpg
52KB, 450x475px
>>2369810
Pretty much is, it's a giant isopod, lives on the sea floor.
https://youtu.be/RRAxPbldlKo
>>
>>2369799
Oniscus asellus are really common can reach a decent size if they aren't crowded.
>>
>>2369810
woodlice look like minimized giant isopods
>>
File: DSCN9266a.jpg (251KB, 1786x878px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9266a.jpg
251KB, 1786x878px
Fresh isopod OC for this thread. Took the pic only 30mins ago.

>>2369803
>>2369812
>land isopods

How well do sea isopods do on land?

>>2369813
Let's set a minimum size limit. Say, 4"/10cm long.
>>
File: images-71.jpg (15KB, 438x335px) Image search: [Google]
images-71.jpg
15KB, 438x335px
>>2369799
Just get a pill millipede. If you didn't know any better you'd think it's a giant isopod, plus they're more colourful than isopods and just as adorable when they roll up.
>>
>>2369825
They have gills of sorts so I doubt they would last long on land. But you would get an aquarium 'and occasionally take it out and play with it. I doubt large land ones will exist any time soon, giant isopods are only big due to deep sea gigantism . Ancient invertebrates got big because of how oxygen rich the environment was, so unless that changes it isn't happening.
>>
File: DSCN9276a.jpg (310KB, 2385x886px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9276a.jpg
310KB, 2385x886px
>>2369883
I don't think oxygen their problem. I think there were other evolutionary pressures that keep them small. After all, there are many terrestrial arthropods that grow to 4"/10cm or larger. I know there has to be an upper limit.

>They have gills of sorts so I doubt they would last long on land.

I was joking, fyi. I said "land" in the OP knowing about the sea ones and not wanting to talk about sea ones.

>>2369876
I was thinking more along the lines of selective breeding until a larger line of isopod was developed.
>>
>>2369941
they are pretty easy to keep - I kept a colony in a mason jar as a kid for months -which started from like 4 individuals before my mother found out and dumped them outside.

the babies are so tiny and so white
>>
>>2369941
They're a bit of a pain to selectively breed. Mainly because the females store sperm. That means you have to separate them while they're still young, before they can mate. That's going to make it hard for you to identify which individuals are larger than others, since they won't be fully developed yet.

If you really want to try it, I'd recommend capturing about ten, preferably the largest ones you can find, and then put them in a container with amble room and food. Once you see any babies roaming, move the adults out. Let the babies develop for a bit then remove the smallest ones. Your original specimens will probably have produced a few more batches of babies by this point. Do the same with them. Repeat this and occasionally mix the babies from your most successful batches together. Over time it should yield some results, although I wouldn't expect anything crazy.
>>
File: 390-891272_MED.jpg (22KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
390-891272_MED.jpg
22KB, 350x350px
Isopods are love. Amphipods are equally as love.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.