[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tick/Flea/Other Parasite Removal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: red tick.jpg (29KB, 700x660px) Image search: [Google]
red tick.jpg
29KB, 700x660px
Hey /an/, I don't browse here much, but what is the best way to get rid of ticks?
I've recently been finding a lot of ticks on my German Shepherd and I know its making him and me very uncomfortable. The year before that he got a lot of fleas. I tried some of the regular store medicine, but it only worked for a week or two. Should I get a exterminator to come by or something?
>>
Topical flea/tick medicines work by killing the parasite after it bites. The best method to stopping ticks before they bite is environmental control. Your dog is picking them up outside, either in your yard or on walks. Ticks climb up grass and other veg stalks then just wait for an animal to brush by them. If he's getting them in your yard, mow that shit. If he's getting them on walks, stick to paths and do a "tick-check" immediately after so you can get them before they bite- it takes them a while to get through the skin to the fur.
>>
I suggest putting him in honey
>>
>>2369193
?? /??? ?
>>
what was mother nature smoking when invented ticks
>>
seresto collars are really effective

make sure he gets a lyme test as well
>>
>>2369153
The midwest/Great Lakes are going to be slammed this year.

I have had luck with a multipart strategy of

>Bravecto.
It requires the tick to bite, but it kills them within a couple hours, so any you miss can't infest the house. Does the same for fleas and some other obscure parasites. Fleas are gonna suck this year too.

>Topical cedar oil. Repels ticks and fleas, and mosquitos. Totally safe. Works on humans too. Smells good.

>Diatomaceous earth. Sprinkle around the garden, house, and occasionally where the dog sleeps. You can eat this stuff. No poisons involved. It abraids the exoskeleton off of bugs so they blow out like a rotting whale carcass.

>RAKE YOUR LEAVES. Ticks breed in leaf litter. Rake your neighbors leaves. DAY OF THE RAKE.

Note, too: You pictures an American dog tick, or wood tick. They do /not/ carry Lyme. Lyme is only carried by the deer tick, or black-legged tick, which is smaller, about the size of a sesame seed. Dog ticks carry Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, which sucks, but is more rare than Lyme. Don't forget to check his ears, especially inside.
>>
>>2369153

I don't know how it is where you live, but around here the vets have medications for this. Mine last 1month per dose. We do a flea/tick/mite med and a worm med. I just go into the vet, they weigh the dog to make sure the dosage is correct, then sell me the meds.
>>
File: 1492999176315.jpg (43KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1492999176315.jpg
43KB, 500x375px
>>2369153
Get three opossums and let them live with you. The tick problem should go away.
>>
OP here Thanks for the
>>2369174
>If he's getting them in your yard, mow that shit.
That may explain it. I haven't been able to mow due to it raining for the pass week and a half. Today seems to a pretty dry day though.
>>2370731
Yeah. Also a midwesterner. The year before it was fleas, and now a shit ton of ticks. I will need to give your method a try.
>>2370747
I was trying to make it to where I didn't visit the vet and just prevent ticks from living on my property.
>>2370894
? I could not though, as he kills possums on sight for some reason.
>>
>>2369153
introduce red imported fire ants to your yard.
They are an invasive species but they will kill all the ticks.
>>
Clean your room lolol
>>
>>2370731
I almost failed my summer class from Rocky mountain spotted fever, but I watched the Yu Yu Hakusho all the way through in two weeks at least.
>>
>>2369919
Any other details about these?
>>2370731
>topical cedar oil
(If this anon isn't still here) could someone tell me more about this? How much should I put on a dog with long hair?
>Bravecto
When we took our dog to the vet this winter she said to think about using multiple products but she was just talking about 2 different medecines that you put on the dogs back since it's a big dog with log hair, he goes for hikes every day and it's supposed to be a bad season.
Are there any bad interactions known between Bravecto and Frontline? Money's not really an issue but if it's bad for the dog it's a reason not to do it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.