[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Overcrowded?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170429_185355.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170429_185355.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 bettas, 2 dwarf honey gouramis, 2 bristlenose plecos, 2 ghost shrimp, 4 corydoras and 2 Java loaches. Is it overcrowded? 20 gallons is a decent size and it's a planted tank with places to hide.
>>
it does not look overcrowded
>>
>>2369035
Thanks my dude.
>>
>>2369031
Tank is okay size. Bioload is what you should worry about. Just because you can shove more fish in doesn't mean you should. Just do some weekly testing and even with plants you're coming out with high nitrates or even a trace of ammonia the load is too high.
>>
Yes your tank is overcrowded. The two bristlenose plecos can grow to 6 inches each, and the anabantoids (bettas (assuming female) and gouramis) will fight since they're not all the same species. I would stick to either the two bettas and maybe get one more or keep the two honey gouramis. Female bettas do better in odd numbers and so that's why I'm suggesting 3. I have a 20 Tall with a pearl gourami, 7 black neon tetras and two amano shrimp. General rule of thumb for aquarium beginners: take the amount of fish you think you can have and divide it in half.
>>
>>2369031
The plecos are really your big concern as even the bristlenose can get xbox hueg.

If you are looking for algae control, consider nerite snails instead. Cool shells, undemanding, won't get xbox hueg, and won't explode in population (their eggs hatch only in brackish water).

I'm not entirely convinced that the two honey gourami and female bettas will fight but it tends to be a wait and see thing. Sometimes fish get along, sometimes they don't.

Have an escape plan. Always have a way to re-home fish that can't get along in the community. My #1 rule of a community tank. It also gives you a constant excuse to get one more tank.
>>
>>2369928
nerite snails only do well in an aquarium that already has a good amount of algea on it or a really established tank with a good biofilm. If this is a relatively new tank as I'm assuming, the nerites will starve and they don't understand what algae pellets are. Amano shrimp are my go to for a tank of this size where plecos aren't an option because they clean up all types of algae including diatoms (which aren't really algea but a bacteria bloom) as well as dead plant matter and fish feces. Amanos will basically eat anything and are especially hearty and worth the price of around 5$ a shrimp. My two in my tank are falling behind in their work so I'll probably throw two more in there. They also produce less waste than the plecos you currently have.
>>
>>2369031

That is a really nice tank, OP. But I can tell you from experience that it is overcrowded.

You are absolutely on the right track with the planting, the hiding spaces. It is a nice set up. But the bioload is too much.

You probably won't see any problems right away, but eventually there's just going to be too much waste product buildup. The plants will provide a buffer for awhile, but they won't able to keep up indefinitely.

Also, seconding what other anons have said, the plecos will get huge.

I'd start planning to build a bigger tank (or a second tank) now, if you can. Plant and cycle it, so you can start moving fish over in a few months.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.