[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oldest living species

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 15

File: cancriformis-triops.jpg (46KB, 800x416px) Image search: [Google]
cancriformis-triops.jpg
46KB, 800x416px
Post old species. Not things as "Horseshoe crab" (Order Xiphosura) because Xiphosura is not a species.
I'll start with Triops cancriformis (Middle Triassic)
>>
File: ginkgo-biloba.jpg (295KB, 446x615px)
ginkgo-biloba.jpg
295KB, 446x615px
Ginkgo biloba, from middle Jurasic
>>
File: HorseshoeCrab-Main.jpg (551KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HorseshoeCrab-Main.jpg
551KB, 1920x1080px
The whole family of stingray beetle species
>>
File: Your_mom.jpg (106KB, 807x1076px)
Your_mom.jpg
106KB, 807x1076px
>>
Neoceratodus forsteri, middle Cretaceous
>>
File: images (2).jpg (5KB, 228x144px)
images (2).jpg
5KB, 228x144px
Coelacanth
>early Devonian
>400 million years ago.
>>
Nautilus
>Cambrian
>500 million years ago
>>
>>2370374
Is that the actually same specis though?

I don't think so.
>>
>>2370380
I'm not sure about the pic, there are like two species, but Coelacanth as a whole is considered a living fossil because it has changed so remarkably little in 400 million years. How it happen is that 400 million years ago this dorky fish found a niche environment with virtually no predidation. And it just stayed there with no real need to evolve relative to everything around it.
>>
Are there any known species of jellyfish that haven't undergone any sort of evolution since the Pre-Cambrian?
>>
>>2370393
Actually, there's no evidence of the current species of coelacanth (Latimeria chalumnae) being earlier than late Pleistocene
>>
>>2370379
Nautilus pompilius is actually pretty ancient (late Eocene), but not the same species as the Cambrian one
>>
File: kek.jpg (7KB, 176x155px)
kek.jpg
7KB, 176x155px
>>2369983
>>
>>2370532
No there isn't. Sadly, jellyfishes aren't common in the fosil record because no hard tissues.
>>
>>2370379
what

the

fuck
>>
>>2370578
Meh, google told me 400mil years ago. Enlighten me if you care to.
>>
>>2370776
Coelacanths as an order appeared 400 mya. Early species include Miguashaia bureai, Allenypterus montanus and Rhabdoderma elegans.
Modern coelacanths (genus Latimeria) appeared very recently in the fossil record.
>>
File: cycad-grove.jpg (116KB, 900x600px)
cycad-grove.jpg
116KB, 900x600px
Does anyone else have this weird feeling when looking at these ancient species? They feel out-of-place to the current time, when in fact they're the original inhabitants of our planet and we're the newcomers.

Anyway, here's some cycads. A species of tree that survived the Great Flood of Noah that wiped out the dinosaurs.
>>
>>2369916
Really? There was a ginko tree near my house in the south when I was a kid. I wonder if it's still there
>>
THE ANT FROM MARS!
>>
File: stromatolites.jpg (71KB, 620x465px)
stromatolites.jpg
71KB, 620x465px
Unchanged for 3.5 Billion years. These fuckers are older than the moon.

/thread
>>
>>2370840
>species of tree
that triggered me
>>
>>2370978
Early Eocene, it's actually pretty old.
>>2370980
Nice try, but the genus Gunflintia went extinct in the Cambrian.
>>
>>2370965
Near your house?
Are you Chinese?
>>
>>2371032
I hope that was a bait post
>>
>>2371041
they are really common as ornamental trees, I have one in my garden too
>>
>>2369916
That tree is actually Handroanthus chrysanthus
>>
File: lingula_6.jpg (143KB, 960x640px)
lingula_6.jpg
143KB, 960x640px
Lingula Reevii is a brachiopod from the early Ordovician, possibly Cambrian. Only recorded in a few isolated pockets of reef.

https://www.waikikiaquarium.org/conservation/projects/current-research/
>>
>>2371154
Ahh, the original living fossil. Also, the basalmost species within the genus Lingula. I wonder how old the species L. reevii actually is, with a little luck, someone may be able to find this guy on Palaeozoic strata.
>>
>>2368894
I had these niggers in a kit as a kid and they swam around in a tray for a few weeks after coming from dried eggs
>>
>>2371315
That's what made then so successful. Their eggs stay alive under very harsh conditions for quite awhile.

>I had these qts too.
>>
I highly doubt any living specimen from today would be able to successfully reproduce with one of the supposed same "species" from hundreds of millions of years ago.
>>
>>2371385
Of course, DNA changes even when appearance does not. When people refer to an old species or a "living fossil" they are talking about a lack of macro changes. The organism stayed in pretty much the same shape, structure, and niche over hundreds of millions of years.
>>
File: feels good chan.jpg (45KB, 821x577px)
feels good chan.jpg
45KB, 821x577px
>>2370379
I was obsessed with fossils as a lad and had all kinds of ammonites and trilobites
I was so fucking hype when I found out about nautili, after years of longing to see a snail squid in the flesh
>>
File: silverfish.jpg (16KB, 526x255px)
silverfish.jpg
16KB, 526x255px
I present the Silverfish
>>
File: triopsfront.jpg (24KB, 600x357px)
triopsfront.jpg
24KB, 600x357px
>>2371358
>>2371315
Can't we genetically engineer them to live for like a year or two? They'd be the ideal low-maintenance aquarium pet if they didn't die after a week.
>>
>>2370980
can you put them in a bun and eat them?
>>
>>2373536
Cool, according to the insect encyclopaedia, this guy dates from late Cretaceous
>>
>>2370980
Would it be possible to keep one as a pet in an aquarium? It's like a pet rock but actually alive.
>>
>>2373569
Mine lived about 50 days.
>>
>>2373928
No. It takes hundreds of thousands to millions of years to culture a stromatolite, in the wild environment with waves and weather pressure creating plenty of opportunity for sediment to aggregate over time. If you want "living rock" I'd look toward culturing endoliths instead.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.