[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be realistic to have one as a pet? And if so would a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0749.jpg (70KB, 530x413px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0749.jpg
70KB, 530x413px
Would it be realistic to have one as a pet? And if so would a pet store in the Pacific Northwest carry them?
>>
>>2367300
These guy are easy to keep as long as

>water is cold
>minimal substrate or decoration because their skin is really sensitive
>>
>>2367302
And they will try to eat rocks if they're small enough and choke on them, from what I read on them.

Do a bit of research OP. People def have them as pets but like the guy above noted, they need cold water and special needs.
>>
>>2367307
Pretty much no heater OP. They will be fine at room temperature and if you worry a small clip on fan will cool the water by a few degrees. Sand is good as if they swallow some it passes easy.
>>
>>2367329
no, sand impactions are not good
>>
>>2367332
I know people who use very fine sand that never caused issues
>>
>>2367332
Maybe if it swallows 2 mouthfuls of sand then maybe.
>>
>>2367307
>And they will try to eat rocks if they're small enough and choke on them, from what I read on them.
From what I've heard you either have to have sand so small it will pass straight through without a problem, or stick to rocks too big to fit in their mouth
>>
Got a friend who's friends with a girl that breeds axolotls and sells them in canada.
>>
I am in Oregon and have a whole bunch of baby axolotls for sale.
>>
File: Axies.jpg (67KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Axies.jpg
67KB, 960x720px
>>2368305
Well, they will be for sale in a few weeks once they are on frozen food. Too small to eat anything but daphnia right now.
Picture is my pair of axolotls, they are not the parents, they are too young. I got the eggs from a friend who had too many.
>>
>>2368307
And, I would say yeah it is very possible for you to keep them.
You need a cycled tank, they are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrates, and they poop a lot. A ten gallon is fine until it gets about 6 inches long, and then it needs a 20 gallon at minimum. They get to be around a foot, sometimes larger.
Make sure your house is temperature controlled, they don't fare well at temperature higher than 75.
Their staple diet is earthworms, which can be bought as bait form a bunch of different stores.
No gravel in their tank, they will swallow it and become impacted. Sand, dirt, or bare-bottom is recommended. Some people use slabs of slate.
>>
I never had a cold water tank and I live where the water could get more than like warm. Is it safe to assume there's 'water coolers' instead of heaters or putting small bags of ice in the tank? I don't recall seeing anything like that in the pet store.
>>
in germany you can buy them in every petstort. ^^
>>
>>2368326
Yeah, they are called chillers. They are extremely expensive though.
>>
>>2368363
you're a rich guy
>>
>>2368397
What?
>>
>>2368397
4u
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.