[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moth spotting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

Hello /an/, It's beginning to get close to the time when Luna moths start breeding around where I live.

I've never seen one of these moths before IRL even though they're one of my favourite insects.

I want to try and see a few in the woods in late may or early june when they're at their prime. I heard that they like birch trees to sit on best.
Is there anything else I can do to ensure a better chance at spotting one of these moths besides maybe getting a light near a birch tree to attract them?
>>
File: DSCN2807.jpg (3MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN2807.jpg
3MB, 3648x2736px
I worked at a nature reserve in the Appalachians for a couple of years, and the only times I ever saw them were when they came up to the porch lights on my cabin. I never went out at night to look for them, but it was pretty far back in the woods in a little valley and bears went through my trash a little too often for me to want to go out after dark.

No idea what trees they were on there. We didn't have any birches. Lots of hickory and beech, and tulip trees, with hemlock in the ravines on the ridge.

Here's one that landed on the front window one night.
>>
>>2366081
that's cool. I guess I'm just gonna go out and try my luck at spotting some.
I'm in south western ontario, so there's a lot of old-growth forests around here that would be perfect habitat for them.

I also heard that these moths don't have mouths and just breed and then die from hunger.
RIP buggos :(
>>
>>2366097
>I also heard that these moths don't have mouths and just breed and then die from hunger.
that's almost every moth
>>
>>2366115
poor moths
>>
>>2365676
Growing up in east Texas I used to see them frequently on our outhouse at night, near the porch light like the other poster stated
>>
File: 20170428_121340.jpg (966KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170428_121340.jpg
966KB, 2560x1536px
>>2365676
Are moths good for pollonating the flowers?
I found this little bugger resting on my pepper plant and I would like to know if he's hurtful or not.

It has a red dot on its back
>>
File: 20170428_121255.jpg (987KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170428_121255.jpg
987KB, 2560x1536px
>>2368049
Another pic
>>
File: IMG_3886.jpg (26KB, 279x492px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3886.jpg
26KB, 279x492px
>>2366081
>>
I love moths. How/where do I learn more about moths?
>>
>>2368050
>>2368049
I've always wondered what those areas mean, the areas of scraped off scales

Also moth lover reporting in. They're my favorite animals
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.