[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scientists discover wax worms can eat polyethylene: the type

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: waxworm-grade-1-3-728.jpg (104KB, 728x683px) Image search: [Google]
waxworm-grade-1-3-728.jpg
104KB, 728x683px
Scientists discover wax worms can eat polyethylene: the type of plastic in plastic bags.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/04/wax-worms-eat-plastic-polyethylene-trash-pollution-cleanup/

Some enzyme in the worm breaks down the plastic so scientists were making worm mush and smearing them on plastic. This is great and; biodegrading plastic. But is it ethical? Wax worms arw kawaii af.
>>
>>2365490
Who would win?

Humans
or
Waxworms

There'a your answer
>>
>>2365490
I wonder if this means vegans can no longer use plastic products because worms could be used commercially to break it down
>>
>>2365490
This is actually amazing
We've solved the recycling problem! The massive amounts of dead moth we have will be fertilizer/pet food/people food
>>
>>2365506
If we can turn them into an edible protein source perhaps? The article talks about creating the enzyme the worms use on an industrial scale and just spraying landfills
>>
What do you mean "Scientists"? Some crazy guy on youtube made a video about this over a year ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kKizTIStVw
>>
>>2365528
That's not polyethylene, that's polystyrene
>>
>>2365490
>>>/out/
>>
>>2365659
This has everything to do with animals and nature. /out/ would only care if you could pack wax worm eggs in a multi tool to disolve your camping waste
>>
>>2365506
>>2365521
They're common food for reptiles and small pets that eat bugs. I've eaten them before, they're alright. Fun to play with since they're no squishy and soft.

I recall bugs are better for protien sources but I don't know how true that is. Either way I can't see eating bugs being the norm and not just a novelty for us.

Also the article is talking about harnasing the enzymes they produce to break down plastic. It says right there a hundred of them would take a month to dissolve a bag. We would need trillions upon trillions of them to dissolve just one person's average household waste. These are also larva. They turn into moths. Their wings would black out the sun.
>>
>>2365675
Turn the moths into fertilizer
>>
>>2365678
This is what would happen; people aren't gonna eat worms that eat plastic
>>
>>2365675
id imagine that they'd be able to create synthetic versions of the enzymes, that or they're gonna breed super plastic dissolving enzyme waxworms
>>
>>2366168
>super plastic dissolving enzyme waxworms
That grow 10inches long and turn into giant moths
>>
>>2366262
This is Mothra's origin story.
>>
>>2365498
It's not like less plastic use ould be a bad thing
>>
>>2366509
I feel bad for whales who eat plastic instead of delicious krill
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.