[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

bringing the outside dog in?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 980x.jpg (186KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
980x.jpg
186KB, 500x334px
tl;dr:
1. How to housebreak a ten year old dog that's never lived inside.
2. How to make a very smelly dog not stink so goddamn much (normal baths with dog shampoo don't seem to go far on her? it might just be because she has to go right back outside.)
3. How to make all this appealing to inattentive and anal retentive owners?
I know there's a lot of information about this online and I'm going over my sources, but any personal experiences with this would make me feel better and more confident desu

(everything below this line is mostly me ranting)

my parents had two big dogs who have lived in an outdoor kennel for the past decade. recently we lost one (she was put down last week, cancer), and it's left her sister in a sad state. my parents didn't want to allow them inside in the beginning because they don't know how to housebreak dogs and just honestly they're lazy and neglectful to pets.
i came home with my own dog, who's house broken and well trained and they love having him inside where they can play with and pet him whenever. it's definitely changed their view of dogs.
my dog gets along really well with their dog, but she's old, overweight and arthritic. I feel terrible about her being out in the kennel all alone (she still howls for her sister, it's heartbreaking), and I want to try to transition her in to an inside dog.
[cont 1/2]
>>
>>2364810
my mom's very high strung in regards to pets in the house. the list of conditions to my dog living inside is a long one; he needs regular baths (which is the only thing i contest on the list because he has dry skin, but we're working on that), isn't allowed on the furniture ever, no chewing on things he shouldn't, etc (reasonable stuff for a well trained animal and an attentive owner). she can't STAND dog smell, and doesn't even visit with the outside dog because she's very smelly.
I want to bring the outside dog in so she can enjoy whatever time she has left comfortable, warm and part of the family. she's a mild and friendly old girl and I want to be able to keep a closer eye on her (I'll be living at home for at least the next two or three years). the biggest obstacle is going to be convincing my parents that it's doable.
>>
>>2364810
1) just as you would any other dog; praise for peeing and pooping outside, ignore and do not reinforce for accidents inside. Make sure to take him out a lot so he understands what he should do, and it is extremely important to get the dog on a feeding and walking schedule since your mom is so anal, That way his bladder will work more like clockwork, so you know for example by 8am he needs to go potty.
>http://dogtime.com/dog-health/general/360-housetraining-for-adults
I tell people to use an extra room like a bathroom or laundry room for a crate when needed, but follow the same crate guidlines if you're using a room.

2) Make sure your dog isn't matted, and if it has wrinkles, disinfect under all the flaps of skin. Disinfect under the elbows and under the base of the tail. Make sure he has no poop dingleberries on his butt. If he is really matted, he will probably need to be shaved. I'd advise a groomer for the first time; you're not going to be able to clean away years of neglect yourself, you will need a professional. They are definitely used to dealing with related cases. Then after that you will have to keep up maintenance on the dog and the house with mopping, vacuuming, etc. They also make dog safe scented wipes and perfumes. If it's hi breath that smells, unfortunately he would need to see a vet that can do dental work, and then after you need to regularly brush his teeth. If it's the ears, he needs to see a vet to get treated for ear infection.

3)Depends, most people of adult age don't change their minds. People are too stubborn. If the owners don't want it done, then that's that. If the dog has a case of mange or yeast infection you could probably get the cops involved for neglect.
>>
File: IMG_3988.jpg (55KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3988.jpg
55KB, 650x650px
>>2364810
>How to housebreak a ten year old dog that's never lived inside.
The same way as a very young puppy. It's doable so long as you are attentive and consistent.
>How to make a very smelly dog not stink so goddamn much
Good diet. Launder her bedding every week. Scub down her kennel and spray her pen down with some sort of cleaner to get rid of a decade of funk. The one in my pic works ok. There is probably better/cheaper stuff out there, but it's the only one I have personal experience with.
Remember, the dog is only going to smell as good as it's environment.
Also take her to a groomer for a bath and drying, the drying part is important. A towel is not good enough for a shaggy-haired dog. The groomer might have tips to keep the smell away.
>How to make all this appealing to inattentive and anal retentive owners?
You can't. Sorry.
>>
In regards to #3, appeal to their humanity. This dog is their loyal pet and friend, now in his sunset years. He deserves to be taken care of properly and comfortably after being such a faithful pet to them for so long. If your parents weren't going to treat the dog with a bit of compassion, then they should not have gotten a dog.
>>
>>2364939
Edit to this post: Let them know that how well they treat their dog now is going to reflect how you treat them when they are old and gray and need your help or a nursing home.
>>
>>2364810
Thats a nice dog
>>
>>2364855
Where do you buy that stuff? Are there other products like it (what are the active ingredients?) Thanks in advance
>>2364939
>>2364943
My parents never properly had a dog, they think that food and shelter are enough for them and while their dogs were never hungry or stuck out in the rain, they never enjoyed an "inside" life or half the affection they deserved. I agree they shouldn't have gotten them, and i tried to get them to give them to a rescue some time ago but i think my dad has always been embarrassed to admit he can't take care of them (mentally and physically he's been in a downward spiral since he retired). ten years ago everyone was excited for puppies!!!! I guess the expectation was that they'd be good for the kids (i always wanted a dog, by then I was 17). unfortunately i moved away when they were just a couple years old, and my siblings never so much as scooped a pile of shit. I know they won't get another big dog after this one passes, thankfully. my dad's torn up about the death of the other one, so I think I'm going to start working on him with something like the spiel you wrote up. my mom's definitely harder to convince, and beats me every time on the emotional manipulation front.
(sorry I'm ranting, I'm honestly still upset about the death of the dog's sister, and mad at them for not trying something besides euthanasia.)
>>2364953
it's not mine, just a google image. luckily the one I'm referring to is a short hair or she'd have died in a mass of mats years ago.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.