[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old Dogs Hiking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (11KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 275x183px
My dog is now 12 years old and on gabapentin, loxicom and tramadol for back and mild joint pain. The cause is unknown but likely due to old age so probably a disc in her back and/or nerve damage. She is too old to be operated on so we've opted for pain relief.

She can still run around and chase sticks and has good mobility. In large part to the medicine as without it she's too stiff or sore to do much.

But lately we've started hillwalking every weekend with a group of friends. Naturally we've brought the dog and all our (dogless) friends are keen for her to keep coming so they get some 'dog time'. She's managed to keep up with us the entire time and seems to really enjoy the hikes.

Our vet has given mixed reactions though. Half the time they say she shouldn't be excessively active and the other half say to keep doing it until she physically can't manage anymore.

I feel like we need to stop taking her on the hikes to avoid causing further 'damage'. If she relying on pain meds to get through day to day life I'm worried a 5 hour hike every weekend over a long period is putting her through unnecessary pain.

So my question is, what would you guys suggest I do? My girlfriend changes her mind every time the topic is brought up.

So I'm looking for an outside opinion.
>>
>>2364809
It's better for her to stay mobile as long as she can. So long as she isn't overexerting herself, keep hiking. Swim if you can. Once you start cutting down activity, there's no recovering from that. It's why an extended hospital stay is pretty much a death sentence for the elderly.
Besides, she's twelve, she's not going to live much longer anyway.
>>
File: saddoggo.jpg (34KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
saddoggo.jpg
34KB, 500x500px
>>2364809
If the joint pain/stiffness is the main health issue, and she doesn't seem to mind, I would keep doing it. You could think of it as a quality of life thing, if she really enjoys joining her family for their weekend hikes, it may sadden her to miss out on them.
>>
>>2364809
I know it sounds weird, but see if there are any animal chiropractors in your area? I work as a receptionist for one, and I see patients making incredible improvements after just a few appointments
>>
We had been recommended acupuncture but it's not logistically possible. Having to go 4 times a week and a 120 mile round trip journey isn't something we can do.

I am genuinely appreciative of the comments supporting her continued involvement in the hill walks. As an owner I've been torn on if it was the right thing to do or not.

I think we will continue doing them with her.
>>
>>2364919
I think acupuncture is largely regarded as placebo, and as such would do little or nothing to the dog's benefit. Same with chiropractic treatment in that any relief would be very temporary.

Physical therapy (ie: to retain the hiking ritual) until your dog seems unhappy is probably the best decision, as first couple posters have said.

If you get to the "unhappy point" with your dog and would like to try a method of relief then I'd opt for dry needling and not acu.

Best wishes, enjoy your hiking while you still can!
>>
Put her down. Shes had her good life no need to worsen it with medication and pain. The only reason to not do it is because you cant handle it. Do it yourself if you want her to be comfortable if your vet will let you and do it at home
>>
>>2365100
>any animal experiencing even mild chronic pain should be immediately killed

literally worse than hitler.
>>
>>2365100
I do get the point you're making. Which is why I made this thread as it's a hard thing to separate your own needs as an owner and what the animal needs as well. Quite often I feel we are being selfish taking her hiking knowing she has underlying pain.

But as other people seem to agree, so long as the dog still enjoys it then I guess it's okay?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.