[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pets for new pet owners

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0434.png (525KB, 640x635px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0434.png
525KB, 640x635px
easyish pets because I haven't had one before and I want one. Preferably birds or lizards.
>>
>>2364739
Do your research no matter what you get.
What do you want in a pet most?
>>
>Birds

Finches, ringneck doves, canary, mynah, starling?

>Lizards

Leopard gecko, beardie, blue-tongued skink, anoles
>>
>>2364741
something that I'll enjoy having but won't be a pain in the ass all the time and that I'll have to spend loads of time/cash preparing just to have
>>
>>2364746
Do you mind noise? Do you desire interaction? Do you want your pet to like spending time with you?
>>
Beardie just get one they make amazing pets and I speak from experience
>>
>>2364747
No yes yes
>>
>>2364752
I'd go for a bird then, my personal favorite is a cockatiel, but once again, do your research.
Lizards aren't so affectionate. A lizard like a bearded dragon or leopard gecko will be chill and can be handled, but they tolerate you at best, not actively want you to hold them.
>>
>>2364739
What are animals?

How is it to live with one?
>>
>>2364775
What are you trying to say
>>
>>2364739
Birds are one of the most high maintenance pets you could possibly get. Reptiles aren't exactly easy either.

Get a hamster to start with.
>>
>>2364864
I've had a cockatiel when I was little. While it may need a lot of attention, it is fine with just sitting on your lap while you watch something or play a game, and it doesn't make much noise when it's not excited. Is that really much more maintenance than other animals? Cockatoos on the other hand are hell.
>>
>>2364867
>cleaning up cryptococcus ridden shit piles every two hours
>feeding fresh prepared food every single day preferably multiple times a day
>paying attention to the thing 12 hr a day
>toys

Yes, it's certainly high maintenance compared to a lizard even the 'easier birds'.
>>
>>2364894
Hyperbole galore.
>fresh food every day
My tiel lived 14 years on bird seed, and she loved it. This is certainly an exaggeration. My cockatoo on the other hand requires veggies and fruit every day.
>12 hr a day
An hour of quality time and a few hours of it just outside its cage, doesn't really matter.
My bird never shat on my bed, so that wasn't really a problem and toys can be like a cardboard roll of toilet paper.
>>
>>2364907
>>2364910
t. I feed my pet on fortified corn kibble every day
t. an hour a day is all a single captive bird needs
t. my cockatiel enjoys being alone by itself for three quarters of the day!

of course /an/ would be filled with the garbage pet owners
>>
>>2364752
If you don't mind a pet that you can't hold, a betta is a surprisingly interactive fish if you give him a good setup. A 5 gallon is small enough that you can fit it almost anywhere, and they are happy/just fine being by themselves and having some interaction from you.

I try to interact with my betta at least three times a day though, because I noticed he gets pretty bored when I don't and starts pacing or sits and around and acts lethargic.

They are smart enough that they do get bored and need some interaction and some different things to look at, and once they get used to you feeding them, they will definitely interact with you.
>>
Birds and lizards are kind of hard if you want to do it properly.

Maybe a couple of rats or some other rodent. Rats are fairly low-maintenance, very cheap to keep and are as smart as dogs. If you want even lower maintenance, get a guinea pig or hamster. Guinea pigs are good if you just want a living stuffed toy that makes cute noises and wants to sit on your lap and be pet.
>>
ive owned a billion pets OP and like an anaon said a betta in a a 5 gallon tank is as easy as it get smll feeding twice a day water change which is like 15 minutes once a week the only problem is fish really aren't interactive many are very shy and easy to kill but alas me and the gf have 13 fish tanks so its pretty interesting my man
>>
>>2365653
>living stuffed toy that makes cute noises and wants to sit on your lap and be pet.
Yup, only pet I've ever had. On number 5 and 6 currently. Not the cheapest pets, but quiet, portable, landlord-friendly, and undemanding things. The smallest pet you can actually pet. Get two, use a big home made pen, and buy horse hay by the bale. Sensitive to heat and wet, but fairly tough overall. Any rodent is much easier to keep healthy than a bird or lizard.
>>
>>2364739
Get a Mantis desu
>>
>>2364739
Goldfish. Hard to kill them.
>>
OP sounds like a gecko would fit you well. small investment. fun. not too much maintenance
>>
>>2364749
This. They live for 10-15 years though and can get cancer so think ahead.
>>
Betta fish are the best low maintenance pet. They live a few years, don't require constant attention, and are hardy enough to survive dirty water if you're a lazy piece of shit. Goldfish are another easy fish so long as you have them in a larger setting (They can easily get a foot in size and make 2x the waste of other fish). If you have space outside you can buy a cheap pond liner online for say $30, dig a hole throw in the liner wiith a $30 pump and you'll have plenty of space for a few. Best part of a pond is you can regularly skip feeding during summertime and they keep the mosquito population down.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.