[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which liquids can fish actually breathe in? It would be hard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

Which liquids can fish actually breathe in?

It would be hard for a fish to see, but could a fish live in Coca Cola, or milk? I know some fish can live in very dark and dirty water, so while soda and milk aren't dirty, they have some similar qualities with dirty water.

So could a fish live in cola or other liquids just the same as water and he would just have a harder time of it?
>>
>>2364570
>can fish survive in stuff that's not water
Technically, yes. So long as the pH isn't caustic, there is oxygen exchange, the gill filaments stay moist and separated, a fish can survive in air. Technically. In reality, no. Not outside of lab conditions.
Cola, no. Too acidic, burns them alive. Too much CO2, not enough oxygen.
Milk, no. The lipids clog up the gill filaments. Could try no-fat milk.
>>
what do you think pal
>>
>>2364585
What if it was diet soda or an organic one, not coke (I know coke is notorious for being acidy)
>>
>>2364588
No. Nothing carbonated.
Of the non-carbonated, nothing that is still heavily acidic.
Of that, nothing that would make the gills stick together.
Of that, nothing that would throw off the osmotic balance (suck all the moisture out of the fish or shove too much moisture into a fish).
That last one is why it is difficult for most fish to be converted to saltwater or vice versa.
>>
>>2364599
Not OP, but since freshwater fish can adapt to salt water and vice versa (think fish that live in estuaries etc) could a fish adapt to live in a different substance over a very long time?
>>
It would be tasty and interesting to eat a fish that lives in grape juice its whole life or something
>>
>go on /an/
>thread about whether fish can live in coke

Guess the joke's on me for forgetting what site I'm on.
>>
>>2364601
Maybe a watered down tea. Nothing with sugar or sweeteners anyway. Anything that could spoil would be impossible to keep live fish in.
>>
>>2364599
What if I throw a fish in some perfluorocarbon? Will it become a superfish?
>>
Would it be against the law if i got a goldfish and put it in a bowl of white grape juice as an experiment
>>
>>2364601
The fish that live in estuaries have awesome kidneys. In freshwater, you're pretty much pissing constantly to keep your body in balance. In saltwater, you're struggling to rid yourself of waste without losing too much water.
>>
>>2364622
It would die you fucking tard. Grape juice is acidic and would literally melt the fish away especially as it goes rancid.

A weak tea is the closest bet.
>>
>>2364627
I honestly just have a hard time believing if i put him into juice he would melt lol. Like i feel like he would def live for at least a while
>>
>>2364627
>weak tea
Congrats, you now have the beginnings of a blackwater biotope.
>>
>>2364570
what about vodka? Can Our fish comrades handle their liquor? Beer?- probably not beer, too carbonated, maybe if it was really flat.

What about Piss, How much Piss can fish handle? they can live in swimming pools and that's just practically all piss
>>
>>2364617
That would be fine, seeing as the water in swamps and a bunch of rivers is basically just tea.
>>
>>2364631
It wouldn't melt the fish, but it would burn it's gills and kill it. It'd be like you huffing the fumes from a bucket of acid or whatever.
>>
>this thread
When I was six or so I thought my step brother's reef fish would like a Coke. One can of Coke is the LD50 for reef fish.
>>
>>2365139
So Budweiser?
>>
this is the stupidest thread i have ever seen on this website
>>
>>2366144
Oh isn't it nice to be young, when the world is fresh and new?
>>
>>2364631
If you were put in a room full of volcanic gases you would live for at least a while, too.
>>
>>2366155

your throat would close up almost instantly. reflex reaction. suffocation would begin.
>>
>>2366293
fish can't just close their gills retard
>>
>>2366342

they do if you put them in a volcano
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.