[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Corgis?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

File: isthisadog.jpg (16KB, 420x358px) Image search: [Google]
isthisadog.jpg
16KB, 420x358px
How does /an/ feel about Corgis? Are they good for an apartment? Between Cardigans and Pembrokes, which is better? Are there any good mixes?
>>
>>2364156
corgicare.com has everything you need to know about the little dudes
Basically, they're small herding dogs, so they need lots of activity or they can become destructive. They're ok to have in apartments as long as you give them plenty of activity outside. I wouldn't know which doggo is best for you
>>
>>2364167
Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out. My roomates and I are moving to a new apartment in a few years, and I'm trying to find out if there are any good apartment dogs. I heard Corgi's are good companion dogs online, so I've been looking into them.
>>
>>2364156
Pembrokes are slightly smaller than Cardigans, the main differences other than that mostly dealing with coat and tail standards.

They are humungous assholes especially to other dogs when they are younger, mellowing out greatly sometime after being fully grown.
>>
File: corgishibminmax.jpg (62KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
corgishibminmax.jpg
62KB, 960x720px
>>2364301
By assholes, do you mean that they are very aggressive when young, or just dominant? Also, are Cardigans more mellow than Pembrokes, or are they the same?
>>
>>2364315
> breed generalization
each dog is different
>>
>>2364315
the magical combination of playful, aggressive and being a lot stronger than they think they are.
>>
File: inject6marjuans.jpg (58KB, 500x361px) Image search: [Google]
inject6marjuans.jpg
58KB, 500x361px
>>2364323
Ok. Thank you.
>>2364387
How do they compare with Beagles? I'll be able to walk/exercise with them either way, but I might be out for long periods of time working. Do Corgis (on average) get anxiety, or would the little loaf be chill?
>>
>>2364184
>in a few years
Lmao at fantasizing about meme pets several years in advance
>>
>>2364734
Please no bully. Besides, depending on circumstances, it could be next year/ 2 years away.
Also:
>meme
>bad
why?
>>
>>2364156

not good for apartments. corgis need large yards
>>
>>2364156

Stupid animal with midget legs.
>>
>>2364740
because meme pets cause a huge surplus of badly bred animals and people who dont actually know how to take care of them.

best example is the shiba inu which is a notoriously active and difficult breed to train- but guess what your 14 year old daughter doesnt care and just wants a qt gode doge xd

these pets (that are probably already a stew of genetic problems from fast and bad breeding) are then abandoned or kept in non-optimal conditions because they wont stop shredding up the furniture

dont be a piece of shit and get a mutt from a shelter. if you want a corgi because its a cute meme you need to reconsider your life choices
>>
>>2365049
Fair point. I have no problem with getting a mutt, I was just interested in getting a Corgi because they are fairly common around here, and they seemed like a good choice online. Ultimately, I'm fine with whatever would work best in an apartment, and I would be near a dog park, so I could get them out to exercise. Thanks.
>>
>>2364783
this
>>
>>2364719
>out for long periods of time working
rescue an older or senior dog. otherwise get a cat, any breed puppy left alone like that is going to turn in to a neurotic unhappy little shit, regardless of "crate training".
>>
File: 1488478149540.jpg (77KB, 640x632px) Image search: [Google]
1488478149540.jpg
77KB, 640x632px
>>
Don't mean to highjack your thread. But what are some good apartment dogs?

I'm mainly a fan of average sized dogs and would like him to be active or sporty.

I'm looking at Shiba inus at the moment. I feel like their smaller than average size would be good for a apartment. The apartment I'm moving into in a few weeks has a dog park too.

I've also been a big husky fan, but they might be too big. Unless i get something like a pomsky.

I've also considered a french bulldog. But I'm unsure if I'd like how unsporty he might be. But given the apartment I might like that too
>>
They are fantastic dogs. Lots of personality, very smart, and generally healthy.

They're fine in apartments since they're small, but remember they are herding dogs. You'll need to let him play and get exercise for an hour or two every day. Corgis love to have a "job" to do too, so you should also teach him tricks as well. If you don't do that they'll get bored and start getting destructive.
>>
>>2364184
Chihuahua.
>>
>>2365717

You're going to have to do a lot more research to figure out exactly what you want, because it'd be hard to think of 3 breeds farther apart in basically every aspect.

Huskies are absolutely not apartment dogs. Way too loud, destructive, and energetic to handle a small living space, and with notoriously bad recall don't count on a dog park to mitigate that.

Frenchies would be fine but they're small and not active dogs. Shibas also work but tend towards dog aggression so the dog park would be out.

If you aren't gone too much (and can get ahold of one) a Tibetan Terrier is a pretty great medium apartment dog. If you're looking to go larger, a greyhound is one of the absolute best apartment breeds. Whippets are also pretty good for a jogging/apartment buddy.
>>
>>2365765
Awesome, thanks for the post. I'll keep looking into it.
>>
File: 1491353120811.png (129KB, 357x443px) Image search: [Google]
1491353120811.png
129KB, 357x443px
>>2364156

I always wanted one because they seemed like great dogs, then I did some more research and the thought of them suffocating because they couldn't get a chip bag off their heads fucking killed it for me.

The high energy herding doesn't bother me, but just to have that possibility looming is fucking awful.
>>
>>2365779
God, that sounds awful. Is that a common thing that happens?
>>
>>2365747
Thanks! Would being around other dogs help keep him occupied? My roommates are bringing both of their dogs (Schnauzer and a Black-and-Tan Coonhound) to the new apartment, so he will have plenty of company.
>>
>>2365790

Have you discussed this with your new landlord? Leases generally won't allow more than 2 pets to begin with, and the two that are already there will be pushing if not exceeding even generous weight limits.

Even if they're okay with it, with those three you're talking ~125 lbs of active dogs (if it's a giant rather than a standard or miniature schnauzer, add in another ~50lbs). Combined with 3 fully grown humans, you'll really be pressed for space.
>>
File: Awoo.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
Awoo.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>2365812
This is all a little while in advance: currently we are still looking for the apartment, haven't found one yet. The agreement between the 3 of us was that we wouldn't choose a place unless it could have both us and the dogs, so it's a work in progress. That's why I am asking for dog advice ahead of time- I probably won't get the dog for a year or more. Most of this is hypothetical. That said, I'll keep that in mind. Best case (but least likely) scenario, with all of us working we might be able to afford a house, in which case it wouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>2365717
def not shiba because they are difficult to train, shed like crazy, and easily aggressive and/or destructive in general
an old husky might work if you have a decent sized apartment and adopt a nice one from the shelter. old dogs are much more mellowed but being a husky; are still athletically capable.
frenchies are alright, easy, fun, spunky dogs but because of the shitty flat face you cant exercise them too hard

poodles are awesome dogs because they're well-behaved, smart, friendly, and sporty when you want them to be.
as the other anon said, greyhounds and whippets are a great option.
a standard schnauzer and other medium sized terriers (ASTs, border terriers, irish, fox, welsh) are also great, but with all terriers, they are very independent and high-energy so you HAVE to train them young

and whatever you decide to go with, please adopt!
>>
>>2365826
What about a Schnauzer/Poodle mix?
>>
>>2365083
If you live in California you could probably find a corgi in a shelter. Don't let them ruin your dreams man. I got a Siberian husky and a Carolina dog from the pound.
>>
>>2365049
>using meme in this context
Get outside more, Anon. You're exhibiting symptoms of being on this site for too long at a time. You can tell from your smug, sanctimonious shitposting.
>>
>>2365790
Yes, he should get along with them just fine. Maybe beforehand you'd want to get him used to the two.
>>
>>2365870
Thanks mate, don't live in California but I'll do my best to look.
>>2365900
Cool, I'll probably have some time before moving him in to get him acquainted. There's also a dog near where we're looking, so he might get some good interaction with other dogs as well.
>>
>>2364156
Mine (pembroke) was super destructive with separation anxiety for the first year, then just got over it all of a sudden. Don't let those little legs fool you, they're not hyper, but they have a lot of energy. Take mine on 6ish mile hikes about once every other week and she does great, but I worked her up to it - that's also about her limit. I think the best thing is they love to be couch potatoes but are ready to go when you are. Lots of barking
>>
>>2364301
Only dogs I've seen that are "actual" assholes are the ones that don't get properly socialized when young or have been abused.
>>
BARK BARK BARK BARK
BARK BARK BARK
BARK

BARK

BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK
BARK BARK BARK

BARK BARK

BARK BARK BARK
>>
>>2365827
idk how common that specific mix is going to be, but there are plenty of terrier-mixes in the pound because they are sex machines. poodles are also really common because its a teddy bear meme dog so people get them and abandon them p often. i know in my shelter poodle-terrier mixes are pretty common but im not sure about that specific mix.
>>
File: s4M9ZZ1.jpg (667KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
s4M9ZZ1.jpg
667KB, 2448x3264px
>>2364156
dumber looking version of master race pomeranians
>>
>>2366170
think you got those doggos flipped there friendo.
>>
>>2366157
Main reason I'm asking is b/c roommates Schnauzer is a cross between those two. Not the "toy" poodle, but one of those big ones.
>>
I think corgi is pretty cool guy. Eh runs fast, can't tip over, and doesn't afraid of anything.
>>
Corgis in an apartment setting fair as well as a German Shepherd in an apartment setting. If you're always out being /fit/ then the dogs can manage coming home to an apartment. If you're not active getting a dog isn't going to magically make you active, and in this setting it's pretty shitty for a corgi. So many people get certain breeds with the thought of "I'll do everything I'm supposed to do, the dog will FORCE me to do it" only to find they still sit online all day posting memes.
>>
>>2365343
THICC
>>
>>2364156
I have a family member with a corgi and it is literally perfect. I wish my little shithead of a dog was as based as theirs.
He's hilarious, small, full of energy but doesn't go crazy or get destructive if he's inside all day, so perfect for apartments. And he's a fucking cutie.

11/10 doggos
>>
File: IMG_1052.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1052.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2365343
>>
>>2365787

Not sure how common the deaths are, but they do very often run into the problem of not being able to get stuff off their heads.

It's cute until you're at work when it happens and you come home to a dead dog.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.