[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Time Puppy Owner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 20170422_153526.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170422_153526.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Hello /an/

My wife and I just got our first puppy today, and beautiful female German shepard. I'm looking for any and all advice you can give. She is approximately 9 weeks old.

Best way to kennel and potty train her?

Pic related, her name is sam.
>>
File: 20170422_153652.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170422_153652.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>
>>2363262
>needs to ask about these things
I shall pray for her hips.
>>
>>2363269
I'm well aware of possible hip issues, and plan on getting her started on vitamins asap while she grows.

Guess this isnt the place to ask for advice considering your condescending tone, fuck boy.
>>
>>2363262
Buy a proper vacuum made for animal hair.

Socialize her with other animals and make it a regular thing.

Not to worry you, but get her checked out for hip displaysia. There's also a saliva or blood test they can do now for degenerative myelopathy.
>>
>>2363287
We have a cat, and he is getting used to being around dogs again. Sam doesn't seem to care about having a cat around. I'm taking her to the vet probably tomorrow. The breeder gave me the lIstanbul of shots and mess the dog has already received.
>>
>>2363272
Vitamins aren't going to stop hip displacia anon.

I'm not the one you replied to, I am just saying. Vitamins are only trace minerals that your body needs and gets plenty if you have a good diet.

If it's in her genetics, then you are just rolling the dice and hoping they don't land on snake eyes.

The best you can do is to start saving money. About 2 to 5 grand to start on operations.

Also, your dog is older than 9 weeks. Probably closer to 3/4 months old.
>>
>>2363306
Not OP, but I agree with you. Her ears are already standing up.
>>
>>2363306
Yeah I was wrong, she is just shy of 3 months, so closer to 12 weeks. She was born January 28th. Neither of her parents have had any hip issues. Like I said, I'll be taking her in to get looked over asap.
>>
>>2363331
Have 'em do a hip test while your there, and if it's in her gentics at all (like any chance of her getting it) just save extra money.

It's good to have an emergency fund anyway.
>>
For kenneling make sure you associate the kennel with whatever toys she likes and make it comfy. If the kennel is associated with any sort of punishment she will refuse to go in it.

As for potty training just make sure you take her outside to potty every two hours or so so that she understands that's where she uses the bathroom.
And don't use puppy pads ever because it will only encourage her going inside the house

Very cute dog op! I love German Shepards
>>
>>2363334
Yeah I planned on having them test her. Im gonna do my best to cover all the bases. Just want the dog to be happy and healthy.
>>
>>2363336
Yeah I'm taking her out every hour on the hour. Trying to get her used to a leash as well.
>>
>>2363262
>kennel
what exactly do you mean by that?
>>
>>2363339
At a minimum you need to take her out once an hour for however many months she is old. So at 3 months, every 3 hours, up to 8 hours. This means you need to set up alarms to get up at night to take her out while she's a puppy
>>
>>2363269
My dude. I'll probably be on here at the end of the year asking the exact same questions about what the hell I should do with a GSD puppy.

That doesn't mean I haven't been in touch with my selected breeder for the past 5 years, keeping an eye on the dogs their kennel is putting out and investigating the hip and elbow and every other score their breeding dogs have ever had.

Like... you can forget how to do puppies. It's so easy to forget how to do puppies when your current dogs are 9 and 5 years old and you haven't done any training towards house breaking or preventing the destruction of the house in 4 years.

>>2363334
Unless the dog as already developed advanced arthritis in puppyhood, you can't tell for sure how a dog's hips are going to turn out until the growth plates close. So they can pull on the dog's legs and hum and haw but xrays at 2 years will tell the real truth.
>>
>>2363272

Don't supplement her with vitamins, you're just asking for over-supplementation which can cause more harm than good. Just feed her a good solid puppy food.

Before/after you get your puppy by Ian Dunbar (free PDF online), and Kikopup (youtube channel) should be your bible.

Please at least say you got her from a breeder that hip and elbow scores.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.