[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Horseshoe crabs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: Limulus_polyphemus.jpg (260KB, 1200x899px) Image search: [Google]
Limulus_polyphemus.jpg
260KB, 1200x899px
Why horseshoe crabs didn't change in shape over the last 400 millions of years?
>>
Idk lol
>>
So they wouldn't have to change their name.
>>
Evolution is fake that's why.
>>
You don't fix what's not broken.
>>
>>2362743
this

Also, they didn't remain COMPLETELY unchanged; there are noticeable differences. But for the most part, yeah, they've changed very little in their long time on earth
>>
>>2362694
Scorpions are the most ancient land creatures and their base design is still the same as it was 400 million years ago.
>>
>>2362694
They are already perfect and I love them
>>
>>2362694
For the same reason your mom didn't change her fat shape, even though she existed before the Earth.
>>
>>2362828
No.
In the ancient times there were lots of Horseshoe crabs species but only a few remains now.
They've just been on the way of being very slowly exterminated.
>>
File: horrible.jpg (107KB, 570x347px) Image search: [Google]
horrible.jpg
107KB, 570x347px
>>>2362828
cause we killed them for fertilizer
pic related
>>
>>2362850
meant for
>>2362843
>>
>>2362851
I meant "many KINDS of Horseshoe crabs" by "lots of horseshoe crabs species".
not its overall number.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_xiphosuran_genera
>>
>>2362694
they don't need to retard
>>
>>2362868
Those genre of horseshoe crabs were extremely successful and outcompeted the other horseshoe crab genre so they went extinct
Now only the successful horseshoe crab genre exist
They used to flourish before humans, but as >>2362850
said, we mass killed them for fertilizer
>>
>>2363424
pretty sure they went extinct before humans. all the ones in that pic are the kind that are still around
>>
if a genre is really successful, it would provide a lot of subspecies, because the genes are what are made to naturally increase its diversity.
The examples of being successful and continuing for a long time are the animals such as rats, mites and bats that have thousands of living species respectively, while horseshoe crabs, just 4 of them survive.
It suggests that horseshoe crabs are almost checkmated for its viability. They themselves are barely surviving and some hopeful mutations have always been offset by the external pressures.
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 398x500px
RANDOM FUN FACT ABOUT HORSESHOE CRABS; unlike us, their blood is copper based which makes it turn blue on contact with air (ours is iron based)
>>
>>2363668
What does copper kreb taste like
>>
File: spike.png (303KB, 688x296px) Image search: [Google]
spike.png
303KB, 688x296px
>>2363646
Surprisingly there is a lot of extant subspecies of horseshoe crabs, so different each other that seems that they are actually "new" species. In Georgia, a variant of Limulus polyphemus has developed dorsal spines in their shells, while the populations of Yucatan are genetically differentiated from the populations in U.S.A.
>>
>>2363668
Want to see something disturbing?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a26038/the-blood-of-the-crab/
>>
>>2362694
They did, but only very slightly. There just wasn't much evolutionary pressure on them, they were more or less perfectly adapted to their environment.
>>
>>2364375
scary
>>
>>2362798
Weren't millipedes the earliest land animals?
>>
>>2365518
I heard
scorpions(not sea scorpions) got born in the sea first,
millipedes got born in the land next,
and scorpions moved to land to prey on millipedes finally.
I don't know it's even a plausible theory because the source I found long ago was lost.
Anyway, predatory animals like scorpions to come first is a bit unreasonable as you say, since they'd find nothing to eat then.
>>
>>2362829
>it's a "yo momma so fat" and "yo momma so old" in one convenient package
Nice
>>
>>2365518
Just imagine going on earth 380 million years ago and seeing just arachnids and insects on the land absolutely no shitty backbone faggot.
>>
>>2365648
I would kill myself if in exchange i get to see an awesome prototaxite swamp before i die
>>
>>2362694
Because they're already cute.
>>
File: IMG_0440.jpg (55KB, 620x381px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0440.jpg
55KB, 620x381px
>>2362828
Me too, they're very cute.
>>
File: IMG_0449.jpg (83KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0449.jpg
83KB, 700x525px
>>2365648
I don't know..
>>
one year they ended up on my shores breeding by the hundreds in a giant crab orgy, and it was a complete bloodbath

I was down there with other kids killing so many of them, just for the sake of being destructive. Smashing the with rocks, impaling them with sticks, watching them explode when they were thrown against the wall.

I don't have a good reason for my actions other than pure sadism, it was entertaining to hit one with a rock and see bits of shell and goo go flying everywhere. I didn't realized they were an threatened species and I feel guilt for my actions every time I see one now

how can I pay my penance for this?
>>
>>2367309
wow
what a fucking sad story
>>
>>2367309
Kill yourself before you beat and kill anybody else, sadism as a child doesn't go away it's just repressed until you get triggered as an adult
>>
>>2367309

Dont feel bad. I did horrible things too as a kid and still puzzle over how I could've been so devoid of empathy.

Now I feel bad when I have to kill a fly, and any pest I can catch that doesnt overwhelm gets deported, but not hurt. I live in the country, so I have to deport a spider about every three days in the summer. I know animals dont empathize with me any more than I did as a boy and would never give me mercy if they had it to give. But I feel a responsibility now, knowing how precious even common life is, to treat it with respect first.
>>
>>2367419
I'm hoping I can focus it into righteous anger. There is a lot of gang violence around here, maybe I can stop them
>>
File: dexter.jpg (62KB, 500x655px) Image search: [Google]
dexter.jpg
62KB, 500x655px
>>2367565

And so it begins.
>>
Low competition on their environment, less evolutionary pressure
Even Darwin theorized it in his time, he was well aware of cases like the horseshoe crab
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.