[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Giving dogs Carprofen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 3ad747aa44-2 Bashyr stand.jpg (109KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
3ad747aa44-2 Bashyr stand.jpg
109KB, 800x533px
My 17 year-old Collie dog sometimes needs carprofen because he gets constipated and can't stand on his hindlegs without help.

But recently he's stopped wanting to take it, and has caught onto me smearing it with whip cheese. If I try to open his mouth I'm afraid I will overstrain his muscles and damage his jaws (or worse, if he were to suddenly give way somehow). But his front teeth are freaking sharp and strong. He would bite through my fingers if I try to wiggle it open.

tl;dr What can I smear on it for next time? I managed this time by slipping it in with his tongue while he was licking the whip cheese off his lips.
>>
>>2362292
Maybe try wrapping it in some lunch meat or smear it with peanut butter?
Though I'm not sure the peanut butter would really work.
>>
I once came across a thing specifically do make it easier to give pets pills. It was some sort of dough sausage where you would cut of a little bit, and knead it over the pill, and then give the entire thing to your pet. maybe you can look into something like that.
>>
File: toothgap.jpg (122KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
toothgap.jpg
122KB, 1000x750px
My dog has 4 oral medications per day at the moment. He's a big dog with very strong jaws and could wreck me if he wanted. I never force his mouth open or try to shove pills to the back of his throat because he's too strong. He's also a wily bastard and cottoned on to the pills hidden in various food items years ago.

There's a gap in their teeth, just behind the canines.

You peel open the lip on one side, slip the pill behind the tooth gap, and make sure he doesn't spit the medication out. This can be done by gently tipping his head upwards, holding his muzzle closed (without too much pressure, you don't want him to panic!) and scratching his throat. When he licks his nose, it's gone down.

My dog has a verbal cue for swallowing medicine, because he's been taking it for such a long time.
>>
I just shove the pills down my dog's throat. It's the most efficient way and it doesn't hurt him.

But before I stopped being a pussy and learned how to do it, I would put them in mini marshmallows. My dog loves that shit and the vet said she didn't mind because they were so small the sugar in one marshmallow a day was negligible. They're easy to poke pills into.
>>
>>2362396
Pill pockets are what they're called
>>
>>2362292
Crunchy peanut butter.
>>
>17 year-old
>can't stand on his hindlegs without help
>stopped wanting to take it
he's tired of living and wants to die. put him down.
>>
>>2362467
Cool! Thanks, I'm gonna try that. Never knew about that secret spot.
>>
>>2362594
He eats like a horse and loves sun tans. He can't be tired of living just yet.
>>
>>2362595
I learned of it through trial and error.

Only works on medium and large dogs. The gap is too small to make a difference on little dogs.
>>
>>2362467
I give my dog pills this way, too. It's a bit less gross than shoving them down his throat

I do occasionally give him this supplement that he refuses to chew, and it's too big to just push down his throat so I put a dollop of whipped cream on it..I know it's not the healthiest option but it's very little (hopefully doesn't really have any impact) and makes things easier on both of us
>>
>>2362599
Maybe he wants to die while he's still happy and can enjoy things?
>>
>>2362766
He sounds like the kind of 70 y/o man that lives life to its fullest but would be ok if he were to suddenly die
>>
>>2362292
my dog eats his kibble so fast he doesnt even chew so i just put the pill on top of the kibble and he vacuums it down with the rest without even noticing
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.