[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Litter Training Older Cat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1465058363236.jpg (2MB, 3543x2480px) Image search: [Google]
1465058363236.jpg
2MB, 3543x2480px
Over the years my cat seems to have unlearned how to use the litter box, and refuses to use it unless locked in a small room with it. This wasn't a problem in the past, as he would just go in our back yard, but a few years ago he was traumatized and refuses to go outside anymore. I've tried putting him in the box after naps, playtime, or meals, but that doesn't work. I lock him in a small room for a week (with food and frequent visits, of course) with just the litter box to go in, and slowly open up the house for him room by room after each successful week, but that doesn't stick either.

I'm at a loss at what to do, I'm starting to think that maybe rehabilitating him to go outdoors would be the best option, but I'm worried it'll traumatize him more or he'll get himself hurt.
>>
>>2362012
Is the litter box actually cleaned every day?

It seems like you are the cause of his problems.
>>
>>2362024
Yes.
>>
Maybe talk to a vet. Seems like a pretty obnoxious problem and people here are just going to reeee at you for having an outdoor cat.
>>
>>2362035
When we have talked to a vet during his checkups they basically shrug. The thing is, the locking him in a room trick worked last time we tried it, he was good about using the litter box for months. Unfortunately, he relapsed, and now nothing seems to work, the moment we start adding more rooms for him to roam around in he immediately pees anywhere but the litter box.

I'm pretty sure he has a checkup coming up, so I'll make sure to talk to the vet again.
>>
>>2362012
Try fully submerging the cat for a period of no less than 15 minutes.
>>
>>2362012
my cat shits in the bathtub for 5 years now. he didn't want to use the litterbox, and i couldn't make him. stopped trying to solve this """""problem""""" a while ago.
>>
https://youtu.be/PASjCf46y-w
>>
>>2362263
That seemed to calm him down, but he seems sort of listless now. Like, he's not moving or breathing. Should I be worried?
>>
>>2362268
Fill the bathtub with litter. Problem solved.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.