[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sheep shearing thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

File: half-shorn-sheep.jpg (10KB, 236x183px) Image search: [Google]
half-shorn-sheep.jpg
10KB, 236x183px
Hello /an/. I'm what we could call a "city-slicker" and while I do have an interest in animals, I have little to no knowledge about other animals than cats (I've had severals, since they can live in a regular flat). But I've always been interested in sheep, wool and evidently, sheep shearing, and I wanted to know a thing or two, maybe you can help.

Is shearing hurting the sheep? I've heard that it sends the sheep into an euphoric state, but Im doubting that heavily. Why did it became almost vital for a sheep to be sheared? How does a wild sheep survives without it?
[spoiler]Also, why is it so hot?[/spoiler]
>>
Shearing hurts as much as shaving as buzzing your head. Which does hurt a little when its being done fast and sloppy, which gets done on sheep. But at that same time you want to get it done as fast as possible since in general it's stressful to the sheep.

Wild sheep do not have coats like this and they she'd their winter coats. Out sheep were bred to not lose their costs, and it just keeps growing to the point where we have to cut off their long tails(plenty of domestic sheep actually have long tails) and they can get infested with maggots if not sheared. That's very common in some Aussie breed that was bred to have extra folds for more wool.
>>
>>2361943
Do you live in the northeast? There's a fiber animal and herding dog festival in Cummington MA on the last weekend of May.
>>
>>2361955
Op here, no I live in a big city in Europe. I actually lived part of my adolescence in a rural mountain town, with plenty of sheep, but I wasn't interested in husbandry at that time.
>>
>>2361955
Lurking masshole here. Thanks, I may recommend this to a friend.
>>
File: ... 6.gif (715KB, 245x258px) Image search: [Google]
... 6.gif
715KB, 245x258px
>>2361943
>wild sheep
>>
Shearing doesn't hurt them, and it absolutely -needs- to be done.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pa_cJp_JaU
>>
>>2361966
Wild sheep exists, and they shear themselves.
>>
>>2361966
the fuck do you think a bighorn sheep is, a goat?
>>
>>2361966
They still exist, and they are sheep.
>>
>>2361974
>>2361994

Who shears them?
>>
>>2361996
Trees.
>>
File: download (4).jpg (9KB, 276x182px) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
9KB, 276x182px
>>2361972
Yep.
When You don't sheer them, you get shrek the sheep
>>
>>2361996
I do.
Every single one.
I'm shaving a sheep right now
>>
File: shrek-the-sheep-36.jpg (171KB, 880x673px) Image search: [Google]
shrek-the-sheep-36.jpg
171KB, 880x673px
>>2361943
>>2363607
https://www.littlethings.com/shrek-the-sheep/
shrek is awesome.
>>2361943
my understanding is most sheep shed naturally
>>
Chris the sheep, saved from wooly death, could barely walk
>>
>>2361972

We have bred sheep overtime to not drop their wool, any 'wild' breeds left (of which there are very few) either don't grow very much fleece (and as of such only need to be bought in once a year to be shorn/ don't need to be shorn) or can still drop their fleece.

>>2363703

Incorrect, in fact very few sheep shed naturally anymore. We've bred them not to, Bighorn sheep will- however most domestic sheep can't, in fact it's a trait we're trying to bring back in for real easycare flocks as wool (in the UK) is now often worth less than it costs to shear the darn things, they're called exlana if you're interested.

If you want to put it in perspective, thousands of pounds was put into creating this new breed- that's of how much interest a naturally shedding sheep with good meat carcass is worth.

Shearing does not hurt the sheep, please ignore the PETA meme (attached).

Also OP, shearing is great fun. As a city-goer, sheep is likely one of the only things really easy to get involved with. Find someone lambing and ask to go help out! There's lambing data bases out there and all sorts- often farmers are shearing at similar times.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.