[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Send Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_5348.jpg (2MB, 3021x3258px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5348.jpg
2MB, 3021x3258px
Ok /an/, /k/ommando here, I was raking a big compost pile when I suddenly heard screeching like that of a trapped rabbit. I looked down and found one of these little buggers, along with two more, I looked at all of them and they appear uninjured but their nest is rekt. I'm like 98% sure they're rabbits.

What do? I don't want to hurt them but have my raifu because I didn't know if any got hurt while raking.
>>
File: IMG_5347.jpg (3MB, 2418x3624px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5347.jpg
3MB, 2418x3624px
Pic related is what's left of their nest.
>>
>>2361814
If you can smoosh the nest back together and keep predators from eating them, the mom will probably come back this evening to move them somewhere else. She only checks on them a couple times a day, tops.
Otherwise, you can drop them off at a wildlife rehab if you don't feel up to bottlefeeding the babies.
>>
>>2361822
The nest and the nest location have all been raked into oblivion, so what kind of equipment will be needed to care for the things?
>>
>>2361825
Rabbit nests are just a shallow hole with fur and leaves. Just dig a little and out shit back in it.
Otherwise get some kitten milk replacement from Petco or whatever and feed them every few hours and keep them warm near a heat source of heat up a covered bag of rice/water bottle.

Rabbit kits are easy to care for and they grow fast. Release them when they're old enough to run away fast.
>>
>>2361825
Gather up all of the mothers fur, dig a ditch and stick them in there with her fur covering the sides and top, then lay some grasses on top as well. Keep them in the shade. She'll come back to the same spot she left them, and probably notice her scent in the ditch not to far away.

You don't want to raise wild rabbits, but if she doesn't come back bring them to a rehab center. If they aren't open make a mix of goat milk and (I think) whipping cream? You should be able to find out online. Don't keep them though, it'll be a giant hassle and you'll need to rabbit proof your home 10x as much as usual, keep them in a room with no carpet, and train all of them to use a litter box, keep them entertained so they don't destroy everything and get them their shots.
>>
>>2361838
Also you will need to stimulate them to urinate since they usually don't on their own when they're babies. Once their eyes open they usually start to do it themselves.
>>
>>2361840
How the hell does that work?
>>
>>2361843
Rubbing the urethra area with a warm paper towel. Same effect as the mother licking. Squirrels, newborn kittens and puppies need this too if the mother is absent
>>
>>2361838
Don't listen to this idiot. He doesn't know what he is talking about at all.
Do not use whipping cream or any cow milk. KMR/kitten milk can be found in any petstore and possibly a grocery store. You can use goat milk but that's if you can't get something else and even then it's better to get it unpasteurized.

You won't have to rabbit proof anything because wild rabbits are not domestic rabbits. They don't act like them. They're not cuddly or chill. They will most likely never be litter trained. As they get old enough to be on their own they will increasingly become more stressed and flighty to the point stress can kill them.

>>2361843
You rub their genitals softly with a warm wet qtip or warm wet towel.
>>
>>2361869
As I said, I didn't remember which combination of liquids to use, which is why I said to find it online.

I'm only in charge of handling them, not feeding them. And yes, if you're trying to keep a wild rabbit you would need to rabbit proof a room. No cords, no carpet, no wood or plastic edges low enough to chew on, hiding areas and running areas - this is the shit we set up when making new rooms for rehabilitating rabbits/holding them until they're ready for release. You're right in that they do not act similar / aren't chill, but that's exactly why you need to take such measures, in order to secure a safe area for one to stay in until it's able to live in the wild.

Our older rabbits who may be hurt and may not be able to return to the wild sometimes take litter training cues, but it takes a lot more effort. It just depends. (You're making it seem like it wouldn't be a hard job to care for one, stobbit, im trying to scare OP out of trying to make them pets, because they are not and never will be.) the work involved with KEEPING a wild animal is challenging, and if he tries to keep them he'll face that reality very soon. Rabbit adolescence is scary enough in domestics.
>>
File: found baby mammal.jpg (90KB, 564x716px) Image search: [Google]
found baby mammal.jpg
90KB, 564x716px
Fucking sticky when
>>
>>2361878
OP still doesn't need to rabbit proof anything but what he will keep them in because by the time they do need room to move freely - they're ready to go. The kits in OP's pic are about 8ish days old and will open they're eyes in a few days old.
Around two weeks they will explore a little but even in the wild they will not go far at all. OP should handle them as little as possible aside from feeding and cleaning whatever they're in.
Three weeks and they should start becoming stressed and afraid of you, and they're ready to gtfo. For the extra cautious they can hawk/raccoon proof a little enclosure outside for a while longer.

OP hasn't implied he wants to turn them into pets. His intelligence might be questioned since he apparently kept raking after he found them and now wonders what to do, or that throwing a bunch of leaves in a pile in the same spot is rocket science.
Obviously turning them into a rehab place would be the best if he truly cannot figure out how to pile leaves but lets be real here because since when was the last time anyone coming to /an/ actually bothered with that?
>>
>>2361897
Spent the last few hours looking for rehab center, non close that are open and I don't want them over night.

Putting them back now.
>>
File: IMG_5356.jpg (4MB, 3024x3022px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5356.jpg
4MB, 3024x3022px
Rate my nest m80s.
>>
File: IMG_5358.jpg (4MB, 3024x3022px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5358.jpg
4MB, 3024x3022px
>>2361920
Finished nest.
>>
no danger of it collapsing?
>>
>>2361897
I'm just putting the overwhelming info out there because he sounded apprehensive to putting them back, and we just had a retard on this board make a pet out of a 3ish week old baby bun. I didn't wanna risk it.

>>2361920
Should work, good job, keep an eye out for movement in the area to make sure she's come back. Maybe put a little sand near entrance to see if there's prints? Not close enough to tickle in though.
>>
File: 1492058973099.jpg (111KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1492058973099.jpg
111KB, 800x600px
>>2361920
So this is how it ends...
>>
File: IMG_5408.jpg (2MB, 2519x2740px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5408.jpg
2MB, 2519x2740px
UPDATE:

Two confirmed dead, one MIA, the best looked like it was torn through by rat/coyote.

Gave the two that were found unceremonious funeral in the woods.
>>
>>2362363
Didn't you deploy anti-coyote countermeasures?
>>
>>2362363
You did your best anon.
>>
>>2361881
Hopefully right now.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.