[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Synapsid thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

All non-mammal synapsids are welcome.
Discuss fur in non-mammal synapsids or just post your personal favs.
>>
So where's the cutoff point between "reptile" and mammal?
>>
>>2361667
Probably some dumb lizard that wasn't even that different from the pelycosaurs.
See Dimetrodon for example, or the varanopidae family, which is pretty much the same as the lizards we have today.
>>
>>2361702
>lol it same shape as lizard so must be lizard
>>
File: 1492683031794.png (363KB, 747x476px) Image search: [Google]
1492683031794.png
363KB, 747x476px
>>2361731
It was though.
>>
>>2361853
pelycosaurs, dimetrodons, and varnopids were not reptiles let alone lizards
>>
>>2361853
to clarify, they did not have overlapping scales which is necessary to be a lizard. I bet you think a salamander is a lizard too
>>
>>2361904
>pelycosaurs, dimetrodons, and varnopids were not reptiles let alone lizards
traditionally they were known as mammal-like reptiles.

tossing tradition out the window is an excellent idea, but it means all of /an/'s "knowledge" about dog and human evolution is now trash too.
>>
>>2361905
You don't need to go semantics on me like an autist, fucking hell. I know modern day lizards evolved from the animal that separated from synapsids million years ago, I forgot the name (Archosauruses?).

They looked like lizards still, because lizards didn't evolve much differently from our ancestors like mammals and birds did.
>>
>>2361927
>dimetrodon are pretty much modern lizards
>no they aren't
>wow you're such an autist for being right
>>2361910
what do dogs have to do with anything? those are all reptile-like mammals. do you honestly think dimetrodon is a reptile?
>>
>>2362010
You're still being autistical. amazing.

Way to ruin the thread
>>
>>2362010
>what do dogs have to do with anything?
If we agree that "Reptilia" as traditionally defined under evolutionary systematis is paraphyletic then we also have to agree that dogs are wolves and humans are chimps and monkeys.

generally /an/ accepts one premise while discarding the others. This doesn't work.

> do you honestly think dimetrodon is a reptile?
>cold blooded
>lays eggs
>has scales
check
>>
>>2361904
Just because its not a traditional diapsid reptile doesn't mean it wasn't reptilian in its features and behavior.
>>
>>2362224
synapsids are not reptiles you fucking retard. it didn't have scales either
>>
>>2362218
ruin the thread by correcting your misinformation? I saved the thread

>>2362224
>""""""cold-blooded"""" presumably
obviously, the """"warm-blooded"""" mammals didn't just appear out of nowhere. and there are/were """warm-blooded""" reptiles too. what's your point? not to mention you even think those words should be used at all.
>lays eggs
so do monotremes
>has scales
no they didn't
>>
>>2361667
ear bones
>>
>>2363183
Actually the openings of the skull behind the eyes its the cutoff point: one opening for synapsids and 2 or more for the sauropsids.
>>
File: IMG_3846.jpg (370KB, 2944x1055px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3846.jpg
370KB, 2944x1055px
They're built like the jerk ghosts from Casper
>>
>>2364823
>where the fuck do you work out bro
>at your momma's fat pussy
>>
File: jet_jaguar_1973_02.jpg (12KB, 667x268px) Image search: [Google]
jet_jaguar_1973_02.jpg
12KB, 667x268px
>>2363149
>Birds are dinosaurs
>synapsids are not reptiles
>>
File: Varan.gif (116KB, 573x333px) Image search: [Google]
Varan.gif
116KB, 573x333px
>>2365396
>Marsupials are mammals
>But synapsids are not reptiles
>>
File: big boi.jpg (84KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
big boi.jpg
84KB, 1920x1080px
>>2365405
>Stingray are fish
>But synapsids are not reptiles
>>
>>2365396
Synapsids aren't reptiles in the same way that birds are reptiles.

Synapsids are distinct from, but originated from, reptiles and are the ancestors to mammals.
>>
>>2365412
birds are *dinosaurs

fuck, it's late
>>
>>2365412
I see no difference between reptiles -> mammals and dinosaurs -> birds
Consider the following:
Aves = Saurians but Saurians =/= Aves
mammals = synapsids but synapsids =/= mammals

but this argument is pointless given that even if I'm wrong I'd still be right by pure bullshit technicality
>>
>>2364728
yeah but ear bones seperate mammals from other synapids
>>
File: man-drinking.jpg (15KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
man-drinking.jpg
15KB, 600x400px
You know what? Fuck the animal kingdoms! Just.... FUCK EM
There's no real distinction anyway! Every kingdom just blends into the other anyway! Fish are fucking mammal, birds are insects... Justffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck it
>>
File: images (18).jpg (17KB, 454x324px) Image search: [Google]
images (18).jpg
17KB, 454x324px
Castorocauda
>>
>>2365412
Birds are under reptilia now, 'reptile' basically means nothing.

>>2364823
I think they got the heads swapped out on a couple of those.
>>
>>2367252
you're too caught up in names. it has been decided to keep calling sauropsida "reptiles" because that's what people are used to.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.