[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a business idea I wanted to run by you guys. I collect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

File: seagulls and crickets.jpg (268KB, 1000x760px) Image search: [Google]
seagulls and crickets.jpg
268KB, 1000x760px
I have a business idea I wanted to run by you guys.

I collect and pin insects, but I'm still pretty new at it.

I live in Utah, and the Mormons celebrate a thing called The Coming of the Gulls, which is when seagulls came and ate up a plague of locusts. It's a big deal to them and part of Utah history, and proof that god loves the Mormons.

I was thinking I could mount and frame Mormon crickets (actually a shieldback katydid) with maybe maps of Utah behind it, or a picture of the temple or whatever. Then sell it to Mormons to put next to their picture of Jesus.

But where the hell do I get a supply of shieldback katydids?
>>
>>
>>
Mormon cricket. Surprising range in color phases.
>>
>>2361445

This has got to be one of my favorite /an/ posts of all time.

Aaaaaaand the answer is you don't. They've been extinct since the 1960s. There are only a couple of specimens in museums and private collections.

Why are you looking for shieldback katydids, anyway? Why not actual locusts?
>>
>>2361459

Meant to add, Mormon crickets (Anabrus simplex) are actually pretty cool...just head out to sagebrush country and scoop them up with a net.

I'm not sure what time of year they are most active, but they do swarm during breeding season, so if you should be able to collects hundreds at a time.
>>
>>2361459
The California cousin species is, the Mormon cricket's still kickin' around.

>>2361466
I guess I gotta catch'em.
>>
File: betty and the seagulls.jpg (44KB, 555x526px) Image search: [Google]
betty and the seagulls.jpg
44KB, 555x526px
>>
File: cimg0620.jpg (3MB, 2598x3371px) Image search: [Google]
cimg0620.jpg
3MB, 2598x3371px
>>
Here are some articles, anon, that talk about the swarm migrations. Maybe you can pinpoitn some of the locations mentioned, and go there during the swarming season.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/06/14/mormon.crickets.reut/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1449662/
>>
>>2361500

It would be like that movie Twister, but instead of cool tornadoes, I get covered in swarming locusts.
>>
>>2361445
You should do the world a favor and pin a bunch of gulls
>>
I need context for these paintings.
>>
>>2361552

Seagulls are the Utah state bird. That would be a felony.
>>
>>2361556

>Mormon settlers head out west to Utah to farm, grossly unprepared and near starving
> their crops are beset by a swarm of locusts
> gulls come and do what birds always do when locusts swarm - they follow the swarm and gorge themselves on locusts for days
> the Mormons decide that this is the greatest miracle ever wrought and that god sent the gulls to save them from the locusts

If god had really been watching out for the Mormons, he would have shown up and explained that locusts are a damn good source of protein, as are gulls
>>
>>2361556

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_gulls
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.