[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Caught this pidger with PMV yesterday. Got any names for him?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: 20170418_195355[1].jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
20170418_195355[1].jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
Caught this pidger with PMV yesterday. Got any names for him?
>>
Bakura
>>
Jim Davis
>>
>>2360807
Rock Luncheon
>>
Birdo
>>
>>2360807
Maximillian
>>
Munch
>>
>>2360807
I named mine pancake, cuz it smelled like pancakes and syrup - name it what it smells like. They like their chests to be nuzzled.

Don't forget to get that gravely pebble ash shit, it's required for their diet.
>>
>>2360807
Bateman
>>
>>2360807
put it back. and i mean name it "put it back"
>>
>>2360807
Yugi
>>
>>2361538
>gravely pebble ash
Germanbro here, I have no idea what you mean by that. I'm already mixing glucose into his water and brew yeast as vitamine b supplements into his food.
>>
>>2361587
I think they need to consume certain kinds of pebbles to digest food. The pebbles work basically like teeth
>>
M. Pidgasus
>>
>>2360813
This
>>
>>2361587
petco/pet smart sells 'gravel paper' for finches that i think would work for pigeons
>>
>>2361587
they have to eat pebbles, as in tiny rocks, to help them digest food
>>
Give it something slightly bigger to be in. Put a brick or something in there so it can perch itself. Clean that horrendously disgusting water, and give it a food bowl. Just make sure it's warm, has clean water, and a clean environment.
>>
>>2361965
Yeah they will bags of it in the bird isle usually. It's like a really fine gravel that mushes up the food in their tummies.
>>
>>2362017
>brick to perch on

wtf, give it a normal fucking stick. a brick will tear up its feet
>>
>>2361587
grit. pigeons need small rocks in their gullet. you only want a little in their diet, feral pigeons rarely peck at gravel. calcium and vitamin D3 is more important if they're indoors. there are many different pigeon specific grits and they're all pretty much the same idea of red clay mixed with trace nutrients, sometimes oyster shells, sometimes silex stones and charcoal or all of the above. most of this shit is for the racing pigeon community and probably aint necessary for a home pigeon with PMV that is liable to be indoors for the rest of its life. trace nutrients should also be supplemented with fresh food every day (though pigeons are quite obligate in their granivory in my experience and will only rarely pick at the veg/fruit. you can offer insects or lean meat as feral pigeons will occasionally go for either). quality seed mixes particularly higher in peas will have better trace mineral and protein profiles. as i said in the beginning calcium and D3 are the two most important ones, especially if it turns out to be a hen and starts egg laying

pelleted diets don't need grit.
>>
>>2362017
I'm cleaning the water every few hours, don't worry. Also I'm mixing the water with glucose.
>>
>>2360807
>PMV
What is this?
>>
File: 1485255023965.jpg (63KB, 539x530px) Image search: [Google]
1485255023965.jpg
63KB, 539x530px
>>2360841
this
>>
>tfw no qt pigeon to save
Why live?

>>2363007
http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/pigeonparamyxovirus.htm
>PIGEON PARAMYXOVIRUS is a viral disease that does not affect man or other animals [...].
The incubation period can vary from a few days to several weeks. The most common symptoms seen by the rescuer, though only a few will be seen at the same time are : Pigeon turning in circles, difficulty picking up seed, pecking and missing, tossing seed backwards, staggering, extremely watery poops, thin broken solid droppings in a pool of liquid, fine tremor of eyes or head somersaulting in flight, crash landing, twisting neck, head upside down (torticollis, star gazing) , spiraling in flight, flying backwards , having fits, walking backwards.
>>
>>2363055
I hate when people use acronyms online that are for extremely specific shit.
>>
>>2363057
Could have just googled "Pigeon PMV" m8
>>
>>2360807
Dinner
>>
>>2360807

Avian influenza
>>
>>2364236
this
>>
>>2360807
>>2360807
enjoy your bird aids faggot
>>
>>2364468
PMV opportunistic infection in humans is so rare some authorities don't even think it can happen. You basically have to

>have AIDS
>never wear gloves
>eat your bird's shit
>>
Why are people on /an/ so willing to handle these flying rats?
>>
>>2365342
because they make great housepets and they're legal for murricans to kidnap from the wild no questions asked, in fact it's doing a service to the local ecology
>>
>>2365342
because you can actually have a pet that will fly and follow you without a leash
>>
>>2360807
Nice man.
I've had a pigeon suffering from pmv for about a year now. You need any help taking care of him? I'd say Sammy or some other unisex name until you figure out what gender it is. Oh yeah. Don't rub your eyes right after holding it.
>>
>>2360807
Oh shit. You know you're going to have to hand feed him until he gets better right? I'd assume you'd know because you said specifically pmv so I'd guess you can tell the difference between paramyxovirus and paratyphoid, but seeing the seeds all over the place in what looks like a desperate attempt to get it to eat got me a little worried... If you're not absolutely sure its pmv I'd take it to an avian vet. They'll give you antibiotics for paratyphoid and if its caught early enough it should be completely fine. Oh and if it has pmv and isn't permanently damaged by it, I'd let it go. He could have a wife and family man. You can adopt or buy a young fancy pigeon easily. :/
>>
File: 20170426_175856.jpg (226KB, 1700x956px) Image search: [Google]
20170426_175856.jpg
226KB, 1700x956px
Hey /an/ didn't want to make a new thread, a this one seems suitable

I've found wounded pigeon in my yard, took it to the vet and it turns out it was shot with an air gun (don't know how you call it in English, it shoots little lead bullets)

pigeon is alright now, his wound is cleaned, and they gave mi some pain killers and antibiotics to give him every morning

do you have any advice how to feed him/keep him while his wing heals
>>
>>2366382
Just tet it some pigeon food and some grits. If you're really concerned about giving the little guy a boost while he's sick id recommend vitamin drops in his water. Or if he's not eating and you can grab onto his Brest bone (indicator he's underweight) then I'd suggest parrot formula and a syringe.
>>
>>2363055
It sounds like nature wants them to die
>>
>>2366250
>letting an pigeon with PMV go so it can spread PMV to its wife and family and they can spread PMV to the local hawk

do you people even think before you post

NO you can't let a diseased invasive animal back into the wild.
>>
File: 1489803619721.jpg (36KB, 528x444px) Image search: [Google]
1489803619721.jpg
36KB, 528x444px
>>2360807
>>2360841
sbirdo sbärde :-DDDDDD
>>
>>2365212
There goes my lifestyle
>>
>>2366725
>not knowing pmv sheds in poop and cannot be spread after a few months

Hahahahaha
>>
>>2363055
>Flying backwards

I'd like to see that shit
>>
>>2366851
There's actually a blind rescued pigeon that has started doing that over the years to avoid hurting his beak.

Just thought you might like to know.
>>
>>2366250
I'm currently giving him budgie food and he does very well. He eats most of the smaller corns very well. But anything the size of a wheat corn is too much.
Also, I didn't catch him to make friends, I caught him so he wouldn't starve to death and infect other local pidgers. But reading all the concerned people here is very nice.
>>
>>2366248
My gf and I have already caught and helped many pidgeons, and the most aggressive one we've ever had was called Sammy for the Unisex reason. But this is the first I'm taking care of all by myself, so any PMV advice is more than welcome.
Also eye-rubbing advice noted.
>>
Lunchmeat
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.