[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about the land crocodiles. Why did they dissapeared.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

File: land crocodile.jpg (71KB, 600x340px) Image search: [Google]
land crocodile.jpg
71KB, 600x340px
Tell me about the land crocodiles. Why did they dissapeared.
>>
>>2357730
superior mammals fucking their shit up, so now they have to dwell in dirty puddles and ambush like pussies
>>
>>2357735
uh? Why were they the apex predator in Australia then? And that was only 40k years ago
>>
>>2357730
Because you touch yourself at night
Now fuck off and do your research like a grown up instead of asking for people to spoonfeed you
>>
>>2357737
uh why are they extinct if they're apex predators lol
>>
>>2357730
because it's way more favorable to be a water crocodile
>>
>>2357793
/a/ plz go
>>
>>2357797
He was referring to salties that time you mong. The only thing crazy enough to tango with a fully grown salty is man.
>>
Could we find usable DNA of these things?
>>
Aboriginals killed the last
>>
>>2357903
But the reason they are gone is because other predators outcompeted them
>>
>>2357886
No, but we might be able to genetically engineer a modern crocodile to have certain ancient traits.
>>
>>2357730
They got outcompeted by Synapsid predators and the archosaurs taking over the world during the early Triassic fucked them over for good.
>>
>>2357903
Megalania is Squamata its genetic connection to crocs goes all the way back to the late Carboniferous.
>>
>>2357962
>they got outcompeted by Synapsid predators
This isn't can't be right. Land croco locos were very successful in the Triassic, way after the downfall of the Synapsids.
There was a species that even walked in two legs.
>>
Man reading about this shit just made me realize the huge bottleneck in the synapsid evolution. We got really lucky there. Everything got wiped the fuck out of the map 250mya.
>>
File: Komodo Dragons.jpg (2MB, 1924x2156px) Image search: [Google]
Komodo Dragons.jpg
2MB, 1924x2156px
>>2357730
Did they?
>>
>>2358066
Good thing these guys made it to our days.

Also, not crocodiles.
>>
>>2358066
>top left frame
>"This is the taste of a liar"
>>
>>2358056
>croco locos
kek
>There was a species that even walked in two legs.
What? Which one, this sounds nice.
>>
>>2358066
That goat is having a bad day
>>
File: carolina-butcher-crocodile.jpg (44KB, 810x540px) Image search: [Google]
carolina-butcher-crocodile.jpg
44KB, 810x540px
>>2358114
Carnufex, among other crocodylomorphs

They evolved to the crocodiles that exist to day.
>>
>>2357943
Is this said in reference to that chicken scientists were able to make without a beak but with a reptilian snout
>>
>>2358066
thats a varanid not a crocodillian
>>
Man, I dunno about you guys but

crocodile ancestors were WEIRD
>>
>>2357730
not enough waters
>>
>>2357943
>we could just genetically engineer a crododile
or two.
or 300
and release them into the wild freshwaters and ocean bays.........
>ensue panic
>Crocodile's compete for dominance
>>
>>2358300
>300
nice get mad scientist
>>
>>2357964
Quinkana idiot
>>
Freshwater crocodiles have those terrestrial traits still.
>>
File: carnufex-size.jpg (93KB, 578x366px) Image search: [Google]
carnufex-size.jpg
93KB, 578x366px
>>2358175
The picture makes them seem bigger, maybe it's some kind of dinosaur bias.
>>
File: Barinasuchus.jpg (253KB, 900x695px) Image search: [Google]
Barinasuchus.jpg
253KB, 900x695px
>>2357735
>implying the Pleistocene extinction event didnt fuck over mammalian predators just as hard

Terrestrial Crocodiles evolved independently on at least 5 different occasions, The Sebecosuchians where the apex preadtors of South America for a good 20 million years despite living along side moderately sized mammals same with Australia's Quinkana which could grow over 6 meters Crocs have been usurping land predators since the dinosaurs and even before.
>>
>>2358630
well yeah, makes sense being that size in the early mezosoic because everything was still too small. The gigantism only started to kick in in the Jurassic.
>>
>>2358622
Cubans can gallop too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O78CxqRl7NE
>>
>>2357737
>>2357821

Wait, I thought that was a giant lizard related to these guys.
>>2358066
>>
>>2357730
We they have been around for a long time, disappear then reappear throughout different eras
they've existed in the late Permian and Triassic, cretaceous, and the Pleistocene as far as I know.
>>
what if a croco locco evolved to become herbobiver again?
>>
>>2361395
Looks like you steer this sucker lying down.
>>
>>2358686
>The Sebecosuchians
Knew about quinkana but never heard of these guys, thanks
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.