[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on Bison ranching? Is it economical?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: bison ranch.jpg (292KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bison ranch.jpg
292KB, 1024x768px
Redpill me on Bison ranching? Is it economical?
>>
>>2356026
Very. Time to get in has passed tho, theyve skyrocketed in value
>>
>>2356057
When was the hayday/best time to get into it? What's the start up cost? What sort of acreage would you need? How many animals (and social structure) do you need starting?
>>
>>2356062
>When was the hayday/best time to get into it?
About 10 years ago
What's the start up cost?
An obscene amount to make money. Id say 200k min
What sort of acreage would you need?
Lots. You dont feed bison hay. You sow perrenial hardy grasses and let them graze year round and you also need bigger fences than with cows
>how many animals (and social structure) do you need starting?
20 cows one bull would be a good starting min.
>>
>>2356078
Thanks for the seriously reply. Is it possible to get investors in on em? What sort of margins are you talking about at first? Would it take a good 5-10 years to start to get out of the red/black? Are there services out there that help you track the genetics of your herd(s) so you
>maximize genetic diversity
>don't end up mixing in too much bovid dna
?
>>
>>2356103
You can get investors for pretty much anything but with agriculture dont neglect to consider gubment subsidies and grants

Impossible to determine. Too many factors.

No idea but researching a reputable seller and maintaining contacts within the industry will help with finding and maintaining good genetics, as well as learning to recognize good phenotypes at a glance
>>
>>2356106
Are there people that raise woodland (or whatever) Bison or just plains Bison?
>>
>>2356109
Unless youre talking conservation and not beef, (or youre some homesteader in Saskatchewan and want a pet buffalo) sounds very impractical
>>
>>2356201
What's the difference?
>>
>>2356217
Woodland are less common, wont graze pure pasture as well, and there are efforts to prevent them breeding with their fellow species (woodland are a subspecies), so what you are suggesting isnt very practical unless you live in an area specially for their environmental adaptation to pick more like elk. Why the interest in woodland? You live in their neck of the woods or just want to raise their numbers?
>>
>>2356227
The latter. Plus the idea of having woods on my property full of Bison on top of deer and other fauna would be nice.
>>
>>2356026
I know a dude who used to cow tip in the '70s when one of his buddies got the idea to try bison tipping at a bison ranch.

Protip, do not bison tip. He basically ran and drop kicked it, only to crumple against it's side. It went full "RRRRRRRROOOOAAAAA" and they needed to help him limp away from it and climb over the fence while it chased them.
>>
>tfw large, wild herds of bison will never exist again
>>
>>2356346

Bison are very dangerous. They're aggressive and will fuck your shit up.
>>
>>2356233
you can have prairie bison and woods, you just need a lot of prairie. i have cows and i have woods. only downside is every few years or so a cow decides she wants to eat a bunch of acorns and dies. no idea why some occasionally take a liking to acorns.
>>
>>2356575
>only downside is every few years or so a cow decides she wants to eat a bunch of acorns and dies. no idea why some occasionally take a liking to acorns.
Lel. Reminds me of the suicide penguins.
>>
>>2356451
They will when Yellowstone blows its cap and America is turned into an ash-covered wasteland. The volcanic ash and depopulation will convert the Great Plains back to its original turf-covered state. Bison, albeit polluted with cattle genes, shall roam again.
>>
>>2357254
Not to mention
>plunges the entire world into a decade long winter followed by a millennium of an ice age
>>
>>2356451
If all the humans died maybe?
>>
>>2357370
Nah, we just need far fewer
>>
>>2356026
always be skeptical of advice given to you when asking about the economical viability of anything. do research, and be skeptical. the people giving you advice might be competitors, in which case they might purposely lie to you to protect their own investments. This personally happened to me when I got into raising deer. Online forums were filled with people claiming that there was no profit in raising deer, yet doing my own research proved that the opposite was true. These people were lying because they had a market with minimal competition. I went against their advice and things turned out great.
>>
>>2358531
Especially on 4chan, the competitive bison hair blanket weaving forum
>>
File: 1491933642567.jpg (97KB, 878x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1491933642567.jpg
97KB, 878x1024px
>>2356346
>He basically ran and drop kicked it

Haha holy shit
Thanks anon, had a laugh
>>
i'd put my money on beefalo if i were you
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.