[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/ - Aquarium General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 350
Thread images: 58

File: IMG_0970.jpg (35KB, 799x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0970.jpg
35KB, 799x480px
Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
-parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.petsolutions.com/
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
Database for aquatic plants and their parameters
>http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>>
>>2352547
I have a betta that was fine when I put some ghost shrimp in the tank. He just looked at them, pecked a few times and stopped. After the ghost shrimp I put and amano shrimp in there to look nice and see his cool ass crawl around and eating shit, but then my betta has been hounding his ass almost non stop. Is my betta racist? If the shrimp lives long enough will the betta get used to it being around and stop fucking with him?

Also does anyone have any luck with cherry shrimp in a planted tank with no filter? I have a 10 gallon with a big java fern and two guppies that I may put some shrimp in.
>>
>>2352559
You'll need a lot of plants. Java fern doesn't take in as much as other plants do. You'll also need at least a air pump. At that point might as well get a cheap sponge filter. Just my thoughts.
>>
Can Bettas live with lyretail swordfish? Or are they too flashy? What other species go well with a Betta?

Also is salvinia minima a good or bad idea?
>>
>>2352635
meant swordtail not swordfish
>>
>>2352469

I know it looks kind of weird, but he's acting really active and hunting/looking for food more than I ever have seen before. He patrols each 'level', scoping out the plants and sticking his mouth into any holes in the rocks. When he gets tired, he lays next to one of the plants on the sand, or on the bottom sand inside the rock cave. He hasn't been surfacing for air as much either, which is making me think the plants have started taking off and growing.

I'm leaving the filter and bubbler on a bit higher at night while the plants aren't going to be making any oxygen. The last two nights he has done fine though, and every time I got up to check on him through out the first night, he was sleeping in some cozy spot, but would get up and swim to me.

I honestly felt bad for waking him up so much.
>>
>>2352559
It could be that the ghost shrimp don't have as much color and are harder to see.
>>
>>2352674
It did see them though. It pecked at them and followed them around for a little while. It aggressively goes after the amano whenever he sees it.
>>
>>2352501
A betta should be able to adjust to those parameters without much issue. If you want something better adapted to harder water, you can do livebearers, bumblebee gobies, or shell-dwelling cichlids (Neolamprologus multifasciatus).
>>
>>2352691
Not sure then. Are the amano smaller than the ghost shrimp?
>>
>>2352559
>If the shrimp lives long enough will the betta get used to it being around and stop fucking with him?
Only time will tell. Some bettas are just weird.

Get some guppy grass or hornwort and some floating plants for the shrimp tank.

>>2352635
The lyretails might be too big and flowy for the betta to resist. A male swordtail might also go after the betta's fins.
A female betta might be more likely to work out.

Salvinia grows like wildfire, but the leaves are big enough that it's very easy to control. I like it a lot.
>>
Anyone keep buce? Looking for a place to get them.
>>
File: whatisthiscolourschemecalled.jpg (16KB, 234x205px) Image search: [Google]
whatisthiscolourschemecalled.jpg
16KB, 234x205px
>>2352694

Hello again, I asked in the last thread if its doable for an betta splendens (not an wild one) to live in the water parameters of my watertap and what other fish could live in these parameters

(However I also forgot a few extra details which im going to put here)

Tank:
15 gallon
(60cm length, 30cm wide, 35cm height)

Water quality:
GH 14
pH 7,77
KH 11,9

Also im a bit of a sucker for plants so fish from lake Malawi/Tanganyika or Victoria might be out of the question
>>
>>2352778
Sounds like my water and bettas do fine
>>
>>2352547
Hi folks. /k/ visiting.

I used to keep fish but haven't for some years. I really miss having them. Due to personal circumstances I would really like a small tank with even one or two fish (something I can move myself without too much hassle).

My experience is normally with big tanks but I just want a little micro tank for the office.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>2352804
Keep a betta, very easy to care for just don't put it in a cold unfiltered vase and you should be fine
>>
Namefagging so my idiocy can be kept in one place.

>>2352806
Thanks anon. What I was thinking was something like a little 10 litre (2.2 gallon in American) tank with 5 or so white clouds + plants. I'm just looking for something dinky and fish for company.

Like I say I'm used to much bigger tanks (50L +) and know they're a lot more forigiving. I figured with the smaller system it's a good idea to get as much advice as possible for such a small environment.

I guess what I'm asking is how would you stock this in as fish and moron friendly way as possible? If this is totally impractical I'd consider something bigger too.

https://www.pond-planet.co.uk/aquarium-c4/fish-tanks-decor-c80/fish-tanks-aquariums-c20/marina-360-aquarium-10l-p302/s653?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=marina-360-aquarium-10l-12851&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=Cj0KEQjwt6fHBRDtm9O8xPPHq4gBEiQAdxotvA2t4R-GdMEduApNKQ-qDkRM0UJjF5wwvzJf988kn68aAp338P8HAQ

[not that that's the tank I was going to go for - though I do rather like it]
>>
File: molt.png (415KB, 700x352px) Image search: [Google]
molt.png
415KB, 700x352px
Mystery crayfish owner here. She has just molted. Here's what she looks like.

I can try to get a better pic when she moves away from the wall.
>>
10L/2.5 gal is too small for anything in my opinion. Yes you could probably fit a neon tetra or 2 in there but, like most tiny fish, they are schooling and do better with 5+.

I'd say 10gal minimum for anything but I know most people don't. 5gal can get you some endlers. Google some nano-tank guides and they can help more.
>>
>>2352868
Thank you anon. I hope I'm not imposing much but is there a good guide you or anyone else might recommend please?
>>
>>2352868
>a neon tetra or 2
You clearly don't know what you're talking about, why are you giving advice?
>>
>>2352878
I have a female betta and a frog in a heated 2.5. I once tried putting 5 guppies in it. They survived, but I felt bad because there was not enough room for them to live comfortably. You really can't put much in a 2.5... or you can, but it's not optimal for the fish's happiness.
>>
>>2352892
I reckon a single betta if I can heat it is what I'm looking for or a small shoal of neons.
>>
File: School-Of-Neons.jpg (74KB, 735x393px) Image search: [Google]
School-Of-Neons.jpg
74KB, 735x393px
>>2352897
Neon tetras don't "shoal." Shoaling and schooling are different. Shoaling is what guppies, mollies and platies do-- they group together but do their own thing. They don't require a group to survive in the wild and do not feel stress if they aren't in a large group.

Neon tetras, and most tetras in general, school. Schooling is a defense mechanism. The more fish in a school, the safer the school is. These fish's brains are wired to blend into a crowd and move as one. Putting 5 tetras together is a recipe for stress and premature death due to that stress. It's not fair to the fish. Please give them more space, at least a 10 gallon. Even if you don't believe fish can experience stress, the behavior difference in a group of 5 tetras vs a group of 10+ is astounding. They act like completely different fish, becoming much bolder and more active.
>>
>>2352897
You can try looking for microfish as well for a 10, Neons can still push 1" in length. Pretty much microrasboras and the smaller tetras like Ruby and ember are good which stay under an inch. Also Celestial Pearl Danios and Endlers livebearers are a popular pick too. Otherwise I'd just stick with the Betta, but I'd give him a full 10g of swimming room.
>>
>>2352844
Betta is the only thing that can fit in something that small because they aren't strong swimmers, but even then, anything under a 2.5 is goimg to be hard to keep stable. Honestly, a 3 gallon kit (which has the filter, heater, lights included) is only like 50bucks at walmart.
>>
File: 36.jpg (475KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
36.jpg
475KB, 800x533px
>>2352903
Endler's livebearers are (if you're me) adorable. I rather like the idea of them.

>>2352901
I did not know this, thank you anon.

>>2352920
I'm happy to upgrade to 3 gallon (15L) just curious to see what we can do (if anything) with a 10L tank.
>>
File: IMG_20170408_223040.jpg (3MB, 4208x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170408_223040.jpg
3MB, 4208x3120px
Made this iwagumi style tank earlier this week. Hopefully I get a nice carpet going since I managed to get my plastic bottle co2 generator working
>>
File: new 10G.jpg (535KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
new 10G.jpg
535KB, 1500x1000px
What do you guys think?

This is my first attempt at any sort of planted tank or legitimate aquascape. No fish yet, but I'm planning on throwing in some Rasboras.

Do you fellas think the ferns will be fine? I didn't have any fishing line to anchor them with, so I sort of weighed them down a little with some rocks.

Any other suggestions or tips that I should be aware of?
>>
>>2352958
Plants should go in the background, not the sides
>>
>>2352959
Yeah, I thought about that. The Waterfern on the right is actually more in the back than the front. It's situated behind that front piece of wood, anyways. I put the Java Fern where it was because if I had put it back any farther, it would constantly be in the shadow of the large piece of wood. I know they're low light, but I thought that would be too low.
>>
>>2352958
I like it. Looks peaceful.

>>2352959
You can do whatever you want with plants. But I do agree that it might look slightly better to either move the plants more toward the bg, or add some bg plants for balance. Less space that can't really be seen.
>>
>>2352942
Not a whole lot. Shrimp and snails and pretty plants basically.
>>
>>2352958
That looks really nice anon.
>>
File: IMG_3175.jpg (929KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3175.jpg
929KB, 3264x2448px
>>2352855
Better pic
>>
>>2353005
It looks like a little alien.

But a cute alien.
>>
Who's in south east Michigan? Gonna give my aquarium stuff away before I kill myself.
>>
File: FWEF.png (2MB, 1220x1007px) Image search: [Google]
FWEF.png
2MB, 1220x1007px
Posted several weeks ago.. Here's an update.
>>
File: 1433218030292.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1433218030292.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>2353132
>>
>>2353130
Use the aquarium stuff to kill yourself.

Electrocution.
>>
>>2353136
If I don't give it away they'll flush the fish and shrimp.
>>
>>2353143
Just leave detailed instructions on how to care for the fish, or a local shop to drop them off at.

Do this in lieu of a suicide note for maximum keks.
>>
Petco is apparently handing out ten dollar coupons on thirty dollars or more with any purchase.

You can use it with the dollar per gallon sale after the 18th
>>
Anyone have experience keeping wild shiners in aquarium? I'm wondering what to feed them.

Internet reading says they mostly eat detritus, which is vague as fuck, but also insects off the water surface.

My tank has plenty of algaes, some cyanobacteria, loads of copapods and other microorganisms. Only macro life is the six new shiners, three types of plants, grass shrimps, two wild freshwater clams caught in their same creek and limpets all over.
>>
>>2352949
That looks great so far.
>>
Any way to get fish tanks for cheap? Craiglist, Offerup, and Letgo are not drawing positive results. I'm wanting to do a 75g Oscar tank.
>>
>>2353195
My local PetCo is having a $1 per gallon sale right now.

And they also have a 50% off promo for 55G and up tanks.

I'd look into a PetCo near you.
>>
>>2353196
I'm in Phoenix and I've checked my store online but no ads are registered. Lazy fucks. Hopefully they have the sale going here, thanks Anon.
>>
>>2353132
Looks great
>>
>>2352949

Want to give me a guide on how to make a plastic bottle co2 generator?
>>
Can high quality shrimp pellets be used to give plants a bit of a boost? I'm experimenting with it right now and put about three and buried them almost to the bottom under the sand.

However, my plants also get direct sunlight for a good chunk of the day, so I'm not sure which one will feed them better.
>>
>>2353209
>Get plastic bottle
>Drill hole the size of air tubing
>Put air tubing into hole, silicone it
>Buy yeast, put yeast + sugar + water into bottle
>screw lid on, shake sideways so you don't get yeastjuice up into tube... or do this part first I guess
>screw lid on, now you have co2 running through a tube

Now the question becomes: how do you best diffuse the co2 in the water? A friend is using a cigarette filter (cotton) stuffed into the 'exit' end of the tube to great effect. Then he just stuffed the tube into some gravel to hold it in place.
>>
>>2353189
They'll do fine on flake once they figure out it's food. In the wild I think they mostly eat insects and aquatic inverts.
>>
>>2353216
So you get to have a c02 pump and drink it once it quits brewing? That's fucking cool.
May as well do it in a gallon jug with a long ass tube going to the tank.
>>
>>2353216

Should add a fair bit of caution this can and will mold quickly and smell like shit. It smells something fucking awful when it begins to sit so they need to be changed daily if not bi daily but is an okay supplement for plants here and there. It's cheaper to just go get a tank filled at a restaurant supply chain (tanks usually require deposit, but it's waived once you return and refill). Costs like $10-$30 from anything 5-20lbs + deposit on the fist go. But it's going to last you a lot longer. Only downside is the regulators and heads which run up a bit more. However over all it's better quality ensuring you're getting 99% co2. Opt for food grade also.
>>
>>2353231
What? I've seen them go for over a month with no noticeable smell. You just need to ensure the yeast is outcompeting anything else in the bottle (hence sealing it with silicone and a one-way valve)

But your method would be good for a more thorough and "professional" approach. I was giving him the cheap ass wal-mart method.
>>
>>2353231
Thanks dawg
>>
>>2353216
Danke
>>
>>2353135
>>2353204
thanks senpaitachi
>>
File: spit laugh.gif (2MB, 1200x680px) Image search: [Google]
spit laugh.gif
2MB, 1200x680px
Dude, Sinbad is such a little cowardly shit.

I put about four cherry shrimp in his tank.

He finally sees one just now, stalks it for a good full minute, then when he tries to go and nip the thing and it jumps away from him, he freaks out and jumps back like a cat seeing a cucumber and swims all the way to the top of the tank.

He's now sitting as nestled as he can in the top plant leaves and acting like he isn't absolutely visible.
>>
File: 3cb.gif (2MB, 680x366px) Image search: [Google]
3cb.gif
2MB, 680x366px
>>2352559
>Is my betta racist
i shouldn't have to hear this god dammit
>>
File: IMG_20170410_111524.jpg (3MB, 3120x4208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170410_111524.jpg
3MB, 3120x4208px
>>2353209
I used a small bottle because that's all I had. Just make sure its airtight (bottle->tubing->ceramic diffuser). My co2 juice mixture was something like 1 cup sugar, 1 cup warm body temp water, 1/3 teaspoon dry yeast. Its important to not kill the yeast so make sure the water isn't too hot. Once the reactor starts working you can position the ceramic diffuser in the aquarium so the co2 bubbles get max contact time in water. I put it right below the exit pipe of my canister filter, so the bubbles can't escape directly without spinning around in the water for a bit.
>>
>>2353352
I almost forgot, if you want to be extra safe I would put a valve somewhere in the tubing so you don't somehow get water backing up into the bottle. I didn't have one so I left it out
>>
>>2352958
Good picks for wood, if you want some more plants I would cram moss in the crevices in the wood. The can survive lowlight conditions
>>
File: image.jpg (1012KB, 2446x2428px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1012KB, 2446x2428px
I have one of those shitty 10 gallon hermit crab tanks with the black silicone. I know you shouldn't put water in it but I have once before for a couple of days when I put some tetra in for an emergency. You think it would hold up? I got it for free and this tank is gonna be a a cheap dwarf crayfish tank for breeding. My shrimp won't breed and my params are good in the 5 but maybe the presence of the crays are scaring them. They don't attack the shrimp but the females get freaked out sometimes.
>>
File: image.jpg (840KB, 2991x2141px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
840KB, 2991x2141px
ID is creeping Jenny. Found a ton of it in a puddle.
>>
>Hasn't had fish awhile

This thread is making me feel for my now gone female betta fish. Never forget her.
>>
God, working weekends at the store brings out all sorts of stupid. Thankfully we have so many nice regulars and honestly most people that come in are great and know what they're doing (or at least open to advice if they're new). Today I helped a couple that had two mollies, a swordtails, and two plecos in a 10 that was bought earlier last week and came to our store wanting to get more fish. Somehow people always get a bunch of shit from Petco/smart first and come here after they've stocked their tank...
>>
>>2353440
>all sorts of stupid

Is it ok if you could share with us some of your stories about stupid?
>>
>>2353519
Seconding this.

Please and thank you.
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 280x350px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 280x350px
After almost two months finally have a berried cherry shrimp.
>>
>>2353519
>>2353531
not that anon but i work at a petco.

i have to have the "no, you can't put goldfish in a bowl" convo almost daily. the amount of idiocy these people display is astounding.

"why can't i?!"
"because it's too small. they get [this big.] they produce ammonia almost constantly, as well, so they need a powerful filter."
"don't they grow to the size of the tank?!"
"no. they just die early from not having enough room."
"well i had one in a bowl and it lived two years once!"
"their typical lifespan is anywhere from 10 to 20 years."

and these fuckers STILL want to buy a feeder goldfish and throw it in a bowl. i usually just tell them i won't sell it to them. when they ask why i tell them it's against our ethics policy and i can't sell any animal without knowing it will go to a good home.

usually never see the dumbass again, and i don't get in trouble for it either since it IS part of our ethics policy. it's just depressing how often it happens. and when i think about how often other, more careless employees sell these fish to die a slow torturous death. either because they're ignorant too or because they're too much of a wuss to say no.
>>
>>2353610
I visit my petco at least once a week just because I live right next to it and my son likes to look at all the animals. I hear the same shit or hear people talk about which betta they want for the vase and straight up lie to the aquatics women about the tank. Off topic but the girl who runs the aquatic department is a solid 8.
>>
>>2353620
yep. a lot of times the customer will lie between employees. we always tell each other then laugh about how dumb they are once they leave. it's incredible, the lengths someone will go to to try to abuse a fucking fish. which is what i consider putting a goldfish, and really just about any fish in a bowl; abuse.
>>
File: 1473032734884.png (343KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
1473032734884.png
343KB, 600x398px
>>2353592
Sweet!
>>
>>2353712
Thank I cum pant
>>
>read that i can keep neon tetras with bettas
>have a chill male betta in a 10g
>bought 6 neons 2 days ago, one died on the way home
>put the remaining 5 in tank, betta doesn't care about them at all
>a couple go right up to his face and he just kind of looks at them and swims somewhere else
>two died yesterday, my betta hung out with one of them as they were dying
>another one looks like its on its way out

>try to get some more from pet shops today
>none in stock
>go online
>shipping costs double the actual price for the fish

jesus christ senpai i just want some damn neons that are healthy
>>
>>2353725
I had 20 last month. They're all dead.
>>
File: 1485928331957.gif (337KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
1485928331957.gif
337KB, 500x345px
I want to play classical music at natural frequency 432hz for my plants so they can grow faster and healthier, how can I achieve this? How can I put sound into the water?

I was thinking about putting a vibration speaker against the outside aquarium glass, a speaker like this: https://youtu.be/CT9dCUuIbY4?t=1m55s
I will play it quietly so the glass doesnt fuck up.
Any thoughts on this?
>>
>>2353738
There's no solid evidence that sound works. They're still experimenting
>>
>>2353738
I have nothing to add but based on this post, I think this is going places.
>>
>>2353744
standard tuning change to 440hz was relatively recent, I dont want to get into politics here but I think there were ulterior motives for that.
I don't mind spending a little extra to run this experiment myself though

interesting to note that many big names in music like hendrixs tuned down to 432
>>
>>2353519
>>2353531

Family comes in looking to get a new fish for their tank, they mentioned the previous fish they had in their 10 died. Turns out somehow they got a young Koi and they wanted to get another one, oblivious to how big those things actually get. Luckily we don't sell Koi or goldfish. Wonder where they got one in the fist place.

Woman has a fluval spec V and wants a fish that isn't a Betta. Okay, we have all sorts of microfish and a guppy or two since your tank is so small. No, she wants a golden gourami which gets 6" long. Warn her and she's insistent so fine, we have a no livestock guarantee anyway. Comes back a week later to tell me the thing jumped and I tell her no refunds.

Family comes in and it's their first time here, the dad and kids are beginners but excited. Ask what they have, turns out their 10g has a few platys, a pleco, and some glowlights from Petco. Tell them that their tank is already was past it's stocking level and let them know if they want more fish they'd have to either upgrade or rehome their existing fish. They then tell me there's also a year old goldfish in the tank too. Explain that the needs of the goldfish are different from any of the other fish they have, and nothing we sell is compatible. Had them look around the store to get an idea, they asked if the baby discus would work in their tank, or one of the small fancy clownfish. Eventually escaped to tend to some other customers because I was tired of the mom giving me stink eye for not selling them a $50 discus. Guess my coworker ended up checking on them and they asked about the male gardneri killifish and got mad when I told them that they are aggressive. I don't remember if they bought anything.
>>
>>2353763
It's just a classic case "it's just a fish!" Then they take it personal like you just beat their kids.
>>
>>2353763

Family comes in two minutes before closing with a super excited little kid, ask if we have a tank setup they can buy 'so their son can look at it for a few days'. Tell them they need to wait at least 3 weeks for a tank to be ready to put a fish in, they ask if he have any Bettas and bowls, which we don't carry. Show them one of our smallest tank kits which is around $110, which also needs a pump ($20), and heater ($23), and the soil, decorations, and water conditioner. I think I scared them off because they weren't expecting to spend so much money so they just left.

Family comes in wanting to pick up another schooling fish because their school of neons died leaving one left. Decided to pick up some harlequin rasboras and asked if the neon will school with them and I said that it might not. If they were worried they could try bringing the fish back to the store they got it at. Instead they asked if they could just flush it... I promptly told them that was pretty cruel...

Almost every weekend we get young couples looking for their first tank when the girl sees a 'nemo' and asks if they can be housed with freshwater stuff. Same with the poor blue tangs.

Most of my customer encounters are great and people are willing to learn and accept their mistakes, in turn I learn a lot from them too. I'm happy I work at a local store and not a chain so I can put my foot down if I need to. I have a lot of comfy customer stories too.
>>
>>2353777
I take a screenshot of them fork my security system and find where they live. First I annoy them by leaving things all over their lawn. Long story short I wait till they're all home and asleep and ignite the house.
>>
>>2353782
From* not fork
>>
>>2353756
>>2353738
Even if music helps a single frequency isn't going to do fuck all to impact it. And 432hz tuning is a god damn New Ager meme which makes me suspect you're a retard who believes in water memory.
>>
>>2353785
Have you not seen the episode of metalocalpyse?
>>
>>2353788
yeah it was eric, simply eric XD
>>
>>2353777
>can a "nemo" be housed with freshwater stuff
>same with blue tangs

Say, what is exactly their line of reasoning for thinking seawater fish could live in freshwater..?

(Though mollies and guppies can live in seawater if you acclimatize them long enough)
>>
>>2353838
Because the average person who really isn't into the hobby thinks all fish can live in the same water.
>>
>>2353840
The average person doesnt know that seawater is.. salty while tapwater is not (or atleast shouldnt be)..?
>>
>>2353843
That's not what I'm saying. They think they can live in any water they put them
in. Finding nemo was cause for mass clownfish deaths.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170411-010254-1.jpg (106KB, 837x829px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170411-010254-1.jpg
106KB, 837x829px
>>
>>2353847
What's the problem? More water than the puddles they live in.
>>
Speaking of saltwater, did you guys see the report that over 900 miles of the Great Barrier Reef was bleached in the last year?

Some people are saying it's a result of Global Warming, while others contend that it's a natural occurence.

No matter what though, it's a tragedy.
>>
>>2353851
At the same time we found a massive hidden reef along South America.
>>
>>2353846
The whole bit with the aquarium in the dentist office is setup like a regular, incredibly basic freshwater tank despite every inhabitant being saltwater, further driving the confusion to normies
>>
>>2353847
>Aquarium Kit
>Aquarium

That's more like a cup. I don't understand how companies can legally get away with this. It'd be like selling a dog kennel with the idea that it's where the dog is going to spend the rest of its life.
>>
>>2353846
Sometimes I wonder if common sense became a rarity
>>
>>2353849
But will a pair of guppies thrive as well? With oxygen included
>>
>>2353857
No. In wild guppies live in creeks and streams.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-11-00-05-44.png (414KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-11-00-05-44.png
414KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>2354015
I hope it dies
>>
>>2354015
Replace it with one of those hex machines and see how long it takes her to notice.
>>
File: 1469321245102.jpg (59KB, 453x439px) Image search: [Google]
1469321245102.jpg
59KB, 453x439px
>>2354015
>this picture
>all those fucking hashtags

>#aqualife
>literally like a .5 gal bowl
>>
>>2353854
Because freedomland doesn't give a shit about the welfare of fish- they're just fish!

Can't even boycott this shit, just about every brand has their own version in an attempt to get those exploitative retard-bucks.
>>
>>2353838
>what is exactly their line of reasoning for thinking seawater fish could live in freshwater..?
they probably googled and found that clownfish can survive for years in freshwater.

The anon is talking out his ass though. While the movie did drive US sales up by 40% there's no evidence those animals died or that their death was due to being exposed to freshwater.

In reality most of them probably died, but only because most fish sold in fish stores die. And clownfish have a lifespan similar to a betta anyways, so they've all died of natural causes by now if nothing else.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2442x2425px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2442x2425px
I love BBS!
>>
>>2354036
Prepared to back your facts up with a source? There's a whole lotta wrong with everything you just said.
>>
>>2354049
Cute!

My betta is too scared to try and eat the shrimp in his tank.
>>
>>2354052
the only fact I stated was that US sales of clownfish increased 40% after the movie. You may google it if you like.

After that I said "there is no evidence."
meaning you can't back your claims up with a source because none exists.

nobody knowns how many of those fish died over what time frame and by what causes.

so your claims have no source. They're made up. Fake.
>>
I swear to god, if my fish was a dog, it would be one of those little, spoiled, yappy things that bark at everything and every one.

>come into room, he starts dancing

>someone else comes into room, he pauses for a minute, then starts dancing

>the actual dog comes into room, he starts dancing

>I move AT ALL, he completely abandons whatever had his interest and starts dancing

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU FATASS

YOU AREN'T GETTING ANY MORE BLOODWORMS
>>
>>2354052
If you're talking about clownfish being able to survive in freshwater for months or even years, this is a well-known fact among saltwater aquarists. We use freshwater to kill parasites, and some people keep saltwater fish in anything from brackish to freshwater for their entire lives to prevent disease.

this is called hyposalinity treatment or simply a hyposaline tank. Freshwater will kill most reef fish, but it takes months or even years in most cases for them to die.

this is also easy to find on google, and something even newbs would likely come across if they searched it. If you look it up you'll find that it's not particularly uncommon for people to keep clownfish in freshwater, nor will it usually result in the immediate death of the animal.

I don't keep freshwater tanks, so my only experience on the subject is keeping clowns in brackish tanks, as well as subjecting them to freshwater dips that last up to a week. Neither of which has any effect on them if done correctly.
>>
>>2354056
My claims are entirely backed up unlike yours.

>most fish sold in fish stores die

No shit
>>
>>2354075
>My claims are entirely backed up unlike yours
you haven't posted a single citation.
citations for your claims don't exist.
>inb4 your favorite enviro blogger
>>
>>2354068
So they lived an entire lifespan in the bowls and 10 gallon tanks that were bought with them with barely if any water changes and no dechlorinator? Interesting.
>>
>>2354078
Do you have any evidence they were usually sold with bowls? Or 10g tanks? or that water changes weren't done or that dechlorinator wasn't used or that they were kept in freshwater?

I didn't think so.
>>
>>2354076
Ahh it's this guy who has ruined almost every thread once it reaches 100+ replies
>>
>>2354082
All I'm doing is correcting you ridiculous assclowns.

if you're a ridiculous assclown then I guess I ruined your thread. Stop lying and your thread won't be ruined for you.
>>
>>2354081
Yes. Consider the average person who wanted a nemo. Don't wanna spend a lot just fish, small tank, and decorations. Maybe leave the comfort of your home?
>>
>>2354087
Hmm where is my reply with any claims? Nowhere? That's what I thought.

Everyone leave and don't come back till bump limit. He's gonna destroy the thread for no good reason except for autism.
>>
>>2354087
>me saltwater aquarist me superior look me carls and nemo
>>
>>2354088
>Yes.
then post it.
do you know what evidence is?

regarding your argument, none of the box stores was selling saltwater fish at the time iirc. Even if they were, nobody is going to sell someone a fucking saltwater fish with a bowl.

Every time I've ever bought a saltwater fish the salesperson has asked if I have an established marine tank at home. Every fucking time.
>>
>>2354091
>where is my reply with any claims?
are you stoned?

where's your citations, assclown?
>>
>>2354094
Petco was. Most didn't give a shit until recent years.
>>
>>2354099
that's not how I remember it but I may be mistaken. My local Petco started selling marine about 10 years ago I think. I didn't mark it on my calendar though.
>>
Fish store stories anon here, sorry for starting this mess by sharing.
>>
I put a baby ramshorn in my 60 gallon. All of a sudden a white flat works zooms into the substrate. What scares me is the snail came from my shrimp tank.
>>
>>2354143
No need to apologize, /aqg/ usually devolves into some argument past the first 100-150 posts.
>>
>>2354154
Like the retard who doubts the owners of nemos killed their fish through neglect
>>
>>2354156
I don't doubt it happened a lot, I'm just pointing out that you have no source for your claims.

so there's no reason to believe them.

It's likely most of the new clownfish bought after the film went to experienced fishkeepers with saltwater tanks already running. It's also a demonstrable fact that clownfish sales were growing before the film and have continued to grow since.

so your stories, while amusing, are probably just bullshit.
>>
What is the most quiet HOB filter out there right now? I used to use the old aqueons and they were fine but the newer models that have the red light suck.
>>
>>2354167
I've got a Tetra whisper that is pretty quiet
>>
>>2354165
Far from bullshit. Why did they have a whole autistic campaign when finding dory came out? Exactly.
>>
>>2354176
>Why did they have a whole autistic campaign when finding dory came out?
Same reason they're fighting to save honeybees that aren't endangered, or pushing organic farming that isn't sustainable, or complaining about pacific garbage patches that aren't visible.

environmental types are retards. And you're a sucker for taking their word without checking the science.
>>
Petco did a campaign on it because of all the returned dead clownfish. They didn't want it to happen with the dory either.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3181x1483px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3181x1483px
I rarely post full tank shits because I suck at aqua scaping. Left side all naja grass which my shrimp really enjoy, alterna reineckii, middle is mopain wood with susswasertang tied down, then right is Christmas moss growing like crazy.
>>
>>2354184
Shots* and mopani* need to proof read a bit more when I'm tired.
>>
>>2354182
I can't believe that they managed to breed blue tangs in captivity though. Last year they were struggling to keep fry alive but pressure from the movie made them work really hard to eventually pull it off. I hope they breed more species
>>
>>2354179
>>2354179
>honeybees that aren't endangered
The problem isn't that they're endangered. It's that there is apparently an increasing threat to their stable populations that we can't cure. That is concerning

> complaining about pacific garbage patches that aren't visible.

Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they are not there, idiot. The garbage patches are a good visualization of the actual microplastic contamination the ocean is undergoing.

Just kill yourself already.
>>
>>2354196
Breeding operations are not sustainable nor profitable in many situations.

Would the impulse buyers of blue tangs rather spend the 30 bucks on some w/c animal or 100 on an aquacultured specimen?

The reason why CB clowns are so popular is that they're about as easy as cichlids to breed. Tangs are a different story.
>>
Has anyone ever had a a mystery snail float, shooting up about 2 feet in the water column, release a bunch of bubbles then gently glide back down to the bottom?
>>
>>2354154
Guess I should have stuck to freshwater stories then, I'm just getting into corals but have been keeping planted tanks for a number of years. Saltwater fish aren't my specialty so I actually hand these sorts of customers over to out salt staff, I deal with most of the freshwater section.

A nice story: An older lady comes in, it's the first time she's been at our store and she's amazed. Has a big 80g tank and I help her get some rainbowfish and cories, she shows me pics on her phone. All the time she was telling me how fishkeeping has changed over the years and asking if I knew that our store had such good reviews online. Also talked about how there's not as many physical fish stores around anymore, anyway it was a nice way to start the work day.
>>
>>2354199
>Breeding operations are not sustainable nor profitable in many situations
I know but it's a start. Technology advances quickly and in the future captive breeding will be more common in the saltwater hobby. Impulse buyers are usually warned and are told to buy yellow tailed damsels instead
>>
>>2354184
Looks comfy
>>
File: 1332304728705.jpg (41KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1332304728705.jpg
41KB, 400x400px
Update on racist betta and shrimp. The Amano shrimp turned red after the betta bit off half of one of its legs. I just now moved the shrimp to a different tank. The betta never really stopped fucking with the shrimp, forcing the shrimp to hide behind the heater or dash around wildly all the time.
>>
File: 20170411_012954.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170411_012954.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>
>>2354182
>Petco did a campaign on it because of all the returned dead clownfish
Petco has never taken returns on saltwater.
>>2354198
you seem to know your stuff about bees and the garbage patch. You should educate yourself about the finding nemo myths.
>>
File: CAM00041.jpg (338KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00041.jpg
338KB, 2048x1536px
>>2354244
You gotta get a betta that's scared of everything.
>>
File: colorchart2.jpg (21KB, 300x379px) Image search: [Google]
colorchart2.jpg
21KB, 300x379px
So what's the ideal color temperature for a freshwater planted tank? I heard fluorescent is preferable over LED for planted idk if this is true though.

I'd rather have redder light over blue
>>
>>2354337
Yeah I know this. People TRIED and there were concerns.
>>
>>2354184
Naja grass needs a trim but looks nice.
>>
>>2353725
neon tetras are known for being fragile, due to a shit ton of inbreeding. Take a look at cardinal tetras
>>
Hello anons. I'm this moron: >>2352942

I got a deal on a new 20L aquarium (4.3 gallon in American) and I've just got it set up. Obviously step 1 is cycling so I've put a little fish food in it and will leave it for about ten days. It's a complete kit thing, and hopefully this ought to be enough to get things started.

I'd like some thoughts on planting it and stocking it or at least just anon to tell me if I'm on the right lines.

This is cold water but in a cosy, shaded spot where ambient temperature never really gets lower than 25 C. I was thinking a single betta and a couple invertebrates.

I don't want to over crowd but I'd be really grateful to hear I'm doing the right thing.

I'd also be curious to hear about plants.
>>
>>2354538
Just to clarify it's either a betta or some Endlers (5-6).
>>
>>2354538
A betta will work, but might eat any shrimps ( or might not, mine is a coward).

Ten days won't be long enough to fully cycle. I suggest getting a chemical product to kickstast the cycle or letting it cycle for a full two months.

OR you can cycle fish in, but you will have to do large water changes every two days, or gallon changes every day, to ensure the fish isn't going to be hurt during the cycle.
>>
>>2354428
Mine is a king betta, and as a proper king he must be no coward and rule his underwater kingdom with an iron fist! If he wills that no shrimp niggers may dwell in his tank, then so shall it be!
>>
File: The King.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
The King.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2354670
>>
>>2354671
>>2354670
He is Betta Rex.
>>
So, I've been keeping live aquariums for years with success.

I'm entertaining getting a couple of of those "comet" feeder goldfish and throwing them in a big tank to see what happens.
>>
>>2354769
They get to about a foot so not to bad. I had one for awhile and he was a savage. Would eat anything and everything. Eventually he went to someones pond.
>>
>>2354771

Nice!
>>
>>2354548
And other fish won't work because they need room to swim, so unless your tank is very long, they won't have much room to swim like they need to.

Bettas aren't strong swimmers and prefer low current, but they still like to have space to patrol and move around as well.

Some people say 2.5 gallons is the absolute minimum, some say 3, but anything under three will be difficult to up keep on because you will have to do a lot of water changes.

I had mine in a 2.5 for a while until I moved him to something bigger, but I was careful with that container. I added live plants, got a tiny filter, did 50% water changes bi-weekly, and with the water that I added in, I used a conditioner, and then API Quick Start. In a four gallon, it probably won't be as hard, but I definitely recommend getting some kind of bacteria starter for the water and treating it at least once a week until the filter is established.

Bettas are very hardy fish, but you stilldon't want to be burning their lungs.
>>
One of my friends is keeping a betta in a 3/4 gallon tank with no filter, heater, or light, nor any plants. I can take the betta and put it in one of my tanks, but he wants to keep it because it's pretty. I don't want to be aggressive or pushy with the issue, but I'm not exactly ok with fish suffering because the owner doesn't care enough about them.

I should mention that it was a gift to him that he decided to keep.
>>
File: Green tetra.jpg (16KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
Green tetra.jpg
16KB, 500x309px
Does anyone know a good site (besides aquabid please) that I could buy some green false tetras from? Not the neons, I want the smaller one's that only grow to about 2 cm/1 inch.

>>2354798
Just inform him. I mean, if he's your friend, then you should know how to talk to him without him getting offended with you.

You don't have to be a dick about anything, just ask him some questions like "Do you have a heater for it? No? Oh well they need like eighty degree water or they could get sick and not eat, or not live the full four years that they usually can.." etc.
>>
>>2354851
I've told him about the health concerns, he just doesn't give a fuck
>>
"Never boil a rock because it will explode like a grenade!" Are people reall this stupid?
>>
>>2353005
awww, she's so cute, congratulations anon!
>>
File: image.jpg (901KB, 2436x2332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
901KB, 2436x2332px
>>2353005
Looks a bit like mine but these don't eat plants only dying parts of plants.
>>
>>2354184
Looks decent. Better than most tanks I see here but not the best. 7/10
>>
>>2354979
I always heard that you weren't supposed to put river rocks in a fire or they might explode
>>
>>2352920
>anything under a 2.5 is goimg to be hard to keep stable. Honestly, a 3 gallon kit (which has the filter, heater, lights included) is only like 50bucks at walmart.
>>2352942
>>2354538
The whole "small tank is hard to keep stable" thing is waaaay overblown.

There's one really easy trick:
stop fucking with your water.

This should go for any tank of any size in any region. Get a test kit. Test your tap water. GET FISH SUITED TO YOUR TAP WATER.

The less you have to fuck with your water, the less you have to worry about stability.

Likewise, in a small tank, it's likely a good idea not to stuff it full of things that can change parameters.

As for the shrimp, ghost shrimp do okay (sometimes) because they're not flashy colors, not because the betta can't see them. Fish can see all sorts of shit we can't see (probably more to do with focal length rather than visual acuity); that's how they feed on micro-organisms.

>>2354798
Depending on his living situation, a heater may not necessarily be required. It's a big on-going debate. But obviously that betta is living a shitty life and probably already getting some permanent damage due to high nitrates. If his birthday is coming up, get him a cheapo tank and filter. Petco is having a $1/gal sale and Petsmart has many all-in-one 2.5 to 5gal tanks on clearance from $20-40. Or smack the shit out of him. Or just show him how nice a real tank would look. Also smack the shit out of the person who gave him the betta and he or she is just as irresponsible.
>>
>>2355000
I should clarify that you should still use a water conditioner unless you have good well water, however I read about people all the time trying to get their naturally 7.6 pH water with whatever super hardness to magically become 6.5 and super soft to accommodate some fish they happen to like. Bad idea. You're going to be fighting your water more than enjoying your fish and you'll probably fail at it anyway.
>>
>>2355000
Am
>>2354798
He said he doesn't want to upgrade his tank because the actual size that the betta needs won't fit on his desk. A gift of tank and tank accessories won't fix that.

I've made an attempt to show him the right way, and he's refused, so I don't know what more I can do without physically stealing the fish.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (4KB, 150x100px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
4KB, 150x100px
Any red-claw people here? Love my red-claw shrimp.
>>
>>2354995
This is where the myth comes from.
>>
>>2355004
Pour a tea spoon of bleach into the tank.
>>
>>2355010
Will the fish die painfully or just kind of drift off to sleep? I'd rather not put it through more misery than what it's dealing with now
>>
>>2355016
It'll die pretty quickly. Or it can die slowly having its gills burned by ammonia from lack of water changes and no dechlorinator. Also the smell of bleach disappears after a few hours but a tea spoon won't have much smell. Alternatively wait a few days without saying a word about the betta and steal it.
>>
>>2355000
This. People always say a 5 gallon is going to be hard to keep my shrimp alive. Here I am months later and my parameters haven't changed. I remove and replace 16oz of water a day and that's it. Everything's fine.
>>
>>2355018
Yeah dude steal it, he probably won't even notice for a while
>>
>>2355018
>>2355024
stealing it would violate the NAP
so would killing it now that I think about it
>>
>>2355026
They won't know it's you. It's not murder if there's no witnesses.
>>
>>2355004
>He said he doesn't want to upgrade his tank because the actual size that the betta needs won't fit on his desk. A gift of tank and tank accessories won't fix that.
That is really unfortunate. Also is he a fucking midget with a Fisher Price desk? A shitty 3.5G tank is just a foot across and less than 9" deep.

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/supplies/aquariums-and-stands/top-fin-3.5-gallon-enchant-aquarium-38392.html?cgid=300013

>>2355016
Death by lack of filtration is pretty painful as high Ammonia is literally being burned away by acid while swimming in your own shit.
>>
>>2355026
You're not stealing you're rescuing without permission
>>
>>2354455
In my experience and many others online, higher temps tend to be better, if you are going for only a single color temp.

It's really about getting PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) data. You can't test it yourself as the equipment to do so is price prohibitive, however several of the bigger fish people and youtubers do have some data on very popular lighting solutions.

Some lights have poor PAR even though everything else seems good (color, intensity, etc) while others are better.

For instance, my generic, non-UL rated, pls don't set my house on fire, Green Element EVO LED light has insane PAR even though it's just 16 3W lights and the total lumens really isn't that high. The PAR is so high in fact that I have to dim it or the algae goes nuts (I do not run CO2).

However,

Also it's kind of strange you prefer red light. Most of the industry has leaned towards arctinic light for a reason: it looks better to many people, especially since most fish are in a naturally blue-ish environment due to light defraction in water. However you can certainly make it work. Lighting for tanks isn't always about the super exact right color temp: it's about balance.

If you run a low-tech tank like me, blasting the tank with intense light is just going to give you an algae bloom. Likewise too low light and too much fert will do the same. Or too much light/fert and no CO2, etc.

It'll probably take a lot of trial and error to find your balance. I suggest looking at what kind of plants you want then what kind of light you can afford then go from there.
>>
>>2355033
Thank you for the detailed post. Blue light just seems cold and doesn't look good with my household lights is all. It's not a huge deal though, I'll take your advice on deciding what plants I want and buying lights to match them
>>
>>2355016
Don't bleach fish, use Clove oil, functions more like an Exit Bag and less like Immolation
>>
>>2355005

No, but I would love to start a shrimp tank. I've got most of the supplies, I just need to get off my ass and build it, then plant and cycle.

Tell us about your red-claw shrimps.
>>
Where can I buy killifish? Does Petco or PetSmart carry them? I'd rather not buy online
>>
>>2355057
They usually just have golden wonder killifish. They're not bad by any means. They're a pretty, bright yellow. Other species of killifish are more varied in color.

>>2355056
Not him, but I'm going to buy a 4 or 5 cherry shrimp and put them in a planted 10 gallon tank. There's no filter or anything, but two guppies and amano shrimp have lived happily in it, so I assume the plants are doing a good enough job. Hopefully they breed ok.
>>
>>2355037
Blue light is used to grow corals. It's worthless for plants. People like it because it makes their tank look saltwater.
>>
File: 20170412_005709.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170412_005709.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Look at that belly
>>
>>2355039
Clove oil would be way to noticeable
>>
>>2355071
Plants also use light from the blue spectrum. I fucked up and bought acintic bulbs and said fuck it and the plants did really good.
>>
File: l-curve.gif (7KB, 265x162px) Image search: [Google]
l-curve.gif
7KB, 265x162px
>>2355088
>Plants also use light from the blue spectrum.
true, but it has to be more intense to make up for the wavelengths they aren't getting enough of. Also for the fact that blue light doesn't travel as well through water or glass.

the main problem is that algae and cyanobacteria tend to prefer actinic light. So with straight blues it's easier to run into algae problems.
>>
>>2355088
Also actinic bulbs drift out of the actinic range over a period of about 60 days. This isn't true of actinic LED's, but actinic fluorescents aren't actinic after a couple months use.
>>
I thought all my ramshorns died from the new move to another tank. They all died off. Months later I'm starting to see babies.
>>
>>2355089
>>2355090
Yes I know this. I'm using a planted plus now.
>>
>>2355089
>Also for the fact that blue light doesn't travel as well through water or glass.
I'm a retard, I got that exactly backwards. Blue light penetrates water best. It doesn't do well through glass though.
>>
>>2355093
You're thinking of red light I believe
>>
>>2355092
cheaper than actinics I would guess?

have you tried LED's? I've been running them on a mixed reef and I love not having to change bulbs ever. Saved me money at the 1 year mark over replacing HO fluorescents.
>>
>>2355095
Yeah and looks better on a planted tank.
>>
>>2355098
Yeah, I like how they make the reds and greens pop
>>
>>2354943
Hmm...might not be much you can do then.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (114KB, 1241x714px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
114KB, 1241x714px
>>2352949
saaame dude
>>
File: cheraxdestructor.jpg (69KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
cheraxdestructor.jpg
69KB, 750x500px
What are some plants that pic related won't eat?

Also I want to use sea sand in his aquarium, I'll wash it first?
>>
Has anyone tried to use a filter from Alex Jones for their main filter? I'm curious to see if it would work.
>>
>>2354493
>due to a shit ton of inbreeding
That's a complete myth. Every freshwater fish comes from generations and generations of inbreeding whether it was born in captivity or not.
Neon tetras are so fragile because people don't know how to keep them.
>>
>>2355329
It turned my freakin frogs gay.
>>
>>2355379
All mine wear little tinfoil hats now and support Trump.
>>
My girlfriends dad had a 10 gallon with a goldfish. The poor thing was going blind. They thought it was funny and blamed it on they don't live long. I gave him my old grave vac and bucket and a week later the goldfish isn't blind and is much more active. Also gave him some plants.
>>
>>2355193
Looking nice
ID on that lilly pad plant in the back?
>>
Have any of you guys ever tried playing tv or some moving pictures for your fish before?

I started noticing a pattern with Sinbad, in that I think he likes/is interested in, watching the rain.

His tank is next to my back-porch door, which is half pane glass, and every time we have had a rainy day, he will go to the side facing the door and stare at it for a long time while not moving around much.

Any other time, when it's not raining, he spends most of his time inspecting the plants and looking for food, or trying to get my attention.
>>
>>2353005
GASP! Shes dead!
>>
>>2354028
thats like a .00000000000005 gallon bowl. im gonna kill myself
>>
>>2355075
thick
>>
File: 20170412_164121.jpg (1MB, 1904x1368px) Image search: [Google]
20170412_164121.jpg
1MB, 1904x1368px
I plan on switching the substrate for black humate soil and making this a shrimp tank in the future, but what plants should I add? I was thinking something tall where those green scribbles are so I could hide the heater behind it and make use of the empty space in the upper portion of the tank. Microswords, or dwarf hairgrass, or maybe even green myrio would look ok. I dont know if I should try to grow a carpeting plant either. I may take the baby java ferns out, but I kind of like them in there for now. The pump isnt in right now. I'm modifying it a bit, thats not important. The substrate is 1" deep leaving 6-7" of water above.
>>
So my Pleco has what appears to be a really bloated belly. I decided not to feed for a few days in case it was overeating. It still has a bloated belly and is moving around less. I have a feeling it might be about to lay eggs.
>>
3 cherry shrimp now berried. Been waiting for so long!
>>
>>2355821
I'd say invest in good media or go with something really cheap with root tabs. I personally don't think the intermediate stuff is worth it. Black diamond blasting sand is good for black and cheap. Fluval shrimp stratum on the expensive end.

You can do carpeting plants and they can look nice, but they will never look as dense as they do in CO2 tanks.
>>
>>2355827
it's about to die. Not even trolling you.
>>
>>2355821
Or get a actual 5 gallon tank.
>>
>>2354203

Mystery snails and apple snails do some weird, crazy shit. They're like little Cthulhus. They sleep in the depths, being boring as rocks and just sliding around for a couple years eating algae pellets.

Then one days they start shooting around, vomiting out bubbles. Or they come half out of their shells, revealing what looks like a mass of tentacles and mouths, and just straight up tear apart and eat a couple of your fish.

'shudder'

I'm never keeping snails again.
>>
I'm pretty sure my betta died recently, but I can't find his body

he lived in a 30g with snails and cherry shrimp
is it possible that they're feasting on his flesh in some secluded cave?
>>
File: shellie.jpg (115KB, 700x481px) Image search: [Google]
shellie.jpg
115KB, 700x481px
>>2352547

I'm thinking about setting up a new tank. Maybe a Lake Tanganyika setup, with some little shellies (neolamprologus). It sounds like a fun project. Does anyone have experience with these?

I'm also thinking of setting up a separate tank for gouramis. I've heard conflicting things about keeping them in community tanks, though. Some people say they can be aggressive, and to just keep them in pairs. Others say they do fine in a group, and some people keep them successfully with other species without any problems.
>>
>>2355934

They ate him. Snails especially will eat a carcass and not even leave bones.
>>
>>2355941
that kinda sucks, I was gonna bury him

at least in some gay spiritual way he's in there even after death
>>
>>2355875
I have another 10 gallon, but I want this to be a just a small planted shrimp tank.
>>
File: HS_Betta_brownorum.jpg (62KB, 784x588px) Image search: [Google]
HS_Betta_brownorum.jpg
62KB, 784x588px
So...I don't mean to start shit with this post. I'd genuinely like to see some civil discussion about this.

I've kept bettas in 10 gallon and 15 gallon and 5 gallon low-flow filtered, heated, cycled tanks.

And in a pinch, I've also dropped bettas into unfiltered, unheated temporary housing in 0.5 or 1 gallon tanks that I use to start plants in. These small tanks received regular water changes and very close monitoring of water quality.

The bettas that were living int he small tanks always seemed more active. They ate better, they made bubble nests, they displayed a very wide range of behaviors.

After they were moved to big tanks, the same bettas seemed lethargic and didn't thrive.

You would think more space, more plants, and higher temps would lead to happier, healthier bettas.

So why were they doing so well in a container the size of a shoebox in 70 degree water?

I am honestly perplexed.
>>
>>2355956
Because that was the territory they claimed and got use to. I once had a betta in a 30g and rearranged some of the plants and he was out of it for a few few days then end up going back to his old self.
>>
>>2355956

I just wanted to add that based on this video, I know dream of building a giant tiered setup where betta could move from one pool to the other.

https://youtu.be/lkfWg35lgXU
>>
>>2355956
I've had very different experiences
my betta that died had an entire 30g to himself (w/ some shrimp/snails) and he was one of the most unique bettas I've ever kept, and lived nearly 6 years too
>>
>>2355957

These bettas never really adjusted. :(
>>
>>2355962
Maybe the bettas you got liked shitty conditions?
>>
>>2355959

That's awesome.
>>
I was at the store just looking and I saw these platys that where really nice. I bought them but I'm not really sure which tank to put them in.

I have a 20 gallon with a betta, loads on neon tetras and some cories. I feel like they would be a bit overstocked in there.

Also have a 10 gallon with just a gourami but he's quite fiesty.

What tank do you reckon?
>>
>>2355939
Look up they YouTube channel called Aquatic Logic if you want to learn more about rift valley cichlids. This guy knows his stuff pretty well.
>>
File: 20170412_182514.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170412_182514.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Lmao r8 my roommates tank

I added the rocks and anubias. I'm moving out of here in like 3 weeks, I have a feeling everything is gonna die when I leave. I'm the only one who looks after this.
>>
>>2356125
That shit is gonna crack.
>>
>>2356125
What's in there, or is it cycling?
>>
>>2356125
>buried rhizome
Good one
>>
Almost want to nuke my tank to show my fish a lesson in pulling up my plants everyday for the past 2 months.
>>
>>2356142
It's only a 10 gal

>>2356151
He stocked it before I met him with some guppies, a rainbow shark and a false julii cory.
>>
File: image.png (454KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
454KB, 750x1334px
>>
>>2356154
It's not buried m8 the gravel is just piled up on the front side of it. The backside you can't see is exposed
>>
>>2356191
>It's only a 10 gal
Doesn't matter. It's still heavy as fuck and there's a lot of stress that's eventually going to cause a leak.
>>
>>2356200
Alright. I'll cut a piece of plywood as a base I guess.
>>
>>2356193
One reason normies shouldn't own fish
>>
Advice for a 5gal non-fish tank? I don't like fish, I don't like advanced filtration, and I don't like frequent water changes. Is a planted tank with some cherry shrimp and snails the way to go?
>>
>>2356226
A air pump with sponge filter will make you shrimp happy. They like to eat off the sponges. Now begone fish hater.
>>
>>2356226
Sounds like you shouldn't own anything aquatic.
>>
File: hate symbol.jpg (47KB, 1067x600px) Image search: [Google]
hate symbol.jpg
47KB, 1067x600px
>>2356234
>>2356231
>m-m-muh fish

Deal with it rejects.
>>
>>2356248
In all honesty most people who keep inverts only are weird. I'm speaking from experience.
>>
File: image.gif (1MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1MB, 300x300px
>>2356248
don't show your autistic face around this thread again.
>>
File: typical an poster.jpg (201KB, 1189x1046px) Image search: [Google]
typical an poster.jpg
201KB, 1189x1046px
>>2356255
>>2356255
>implying I can't shitpost harder than you can

fish are shit and easily the most boring pets alive. pic related is the average poster replying to me so I have good reason to disregard your opinions out of hand.
>>
>>2356261
What about frogs?
Do you like frogs
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (115KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
115KB, 1920x1080px
>>2356268
herps are alright
>>
>>2356261
lol
you still haven't recognized him, have you?
what a fucking maroon.
>>
>>2356276
Confirmed autist.
>>
>>2356276
In general people view those who keep amphibians and reptiles as extra creepy. They feel as if they're going to be hurt or raped when they step into their house: Fish are pretty normie.
>>
>>2356315
>In general people view those who keep amphibians and reptiles as extra creepy. They feel as if they're going to be hurt or raped when they step into their house:
what fucking universe do you live in
>>
>>2356320
This one we all live in. They are viewed as an oddity. It's the general consensus. If you don't feel that way then you're one of those people everyone views as weird.
>>
>>2356315
Fish in a bowl maybe
Checking your stock limit and discussing fish, the best lighting and filters etc is all extra autistic
>>
>>2356327
This is what normal people do. Now talking about your favorite morphs like "starburst pony skittle yellow frosting" and the type of live and frozen mice you have to force feed your geckos and snakes is pretty weird and you get a rape vibe from it. Like they're going to feed you to their snake while you're asleep as they masturbate. That's the vibe people get from anyone who keeps reptiles and amphibians
>>
What are the main substrate choices? I have seen Amazonia be popular online and my local fish store carries Aquasolum Humate and Shrimp King's something. What are the pros, cons, and prices? I'm new to this.
>>
I'm letting my new planted 10G cycle right now and I've noticed small pockets of film on the water's surface.

What is this? Bacteria? Waste? Just general grime?

More importantly, how do I remedy it?
>>
>>2356296
>>2356309
>>2356315
>>2356326
>>2356332
/aq/fag ruining another general with his autism.

lol all i had to do was say "herps were alright" and you sperg out on this wonder-quest, fucking adorable. seeya around cutie <3
>>
>>2356357
You sperged out first. One of those replies are me and can't speak for the rest. See you later spergigator.
>>
>>2356361
>typing three words is sperging out

in other words: no u
>>
>>2356357
I was the one who replied to your shrimp post first giving you advice. Then you had to take a joke personally.
>>
>>2356362
You can't handle 4chan then maybe you should leave for a few months and come back.
>>
>>2356351
Something like that.
http://pets.thenest.com/there-oily-film-top-aquarium-12043.html

Make sure your tank has decent circulation and its surface isn't sitting stagnant
>>
Honestly, aquarium keeping is the craziest/spergiest and most autistic/OCD/neurotic thing I do.

Months of aquatic gardening with tweezers and water testing before I even put the fish in, all that careful monitoring and research. All this to keep a creature in a sad facsimile of its natural environment just so I can observe it swim around. It is a pretty weird, obsessive hobby when you come right down it.

I contrast, herp keeping is incredibly chill and laid back, I just build a big terrarium, clean it once every 3 months, and maybe move some decor around. Once a week I have to thaw a frozen mouse and water the plants. That's about it, and all I have to do to observe a snake crawl around.

People have very different reactions though. "Oh, you keep fish? How cute. I have a betta in a vase on my desk at work LOL"
They don't know about the hours of planning that goes into my aquarium, or the batshit crazy level I have taken it to.

They find out I have a snake, and they assume I am an edgelord who performs satanic rituals in my basement. They also all assume that the snake is venomous, and that I feed it live baby bunnies and kittens.

I'm not sure I would have become a herp keeper if I had realized the social stigma that goes with it. People are really fucking afraid of reptiles.
>>
>>2356369
>Make sure your tank has decent circulation and its surface isn't sitting stagnant

I thought about that. My filter is quite calm. A powerhead seems like overkill. Do I get an air hose and let the bubbles keep the surface agitated?
>>
>>2356371
But at the same time it's much larger and considered 10x socially acceptable than herps. I quit after people stopped coming to my house. Clean and smell free but some people were afraid they were going to die by me or my reptiles. I went to fish keeping because I'm not on the spectrum and now people want to come over more. I would compare the care of my planted tanks to that of water and feeding a dog or cat daily then once a week prunings.
>>
Too me personally I think the most autistic fish keepers are African cichlid people.
>>
I guess we can say conservationist and people working endlessly to try and save parts of the environment are the most autistic of them all by all of your logics.
>>
>>2356357
/aq/fag here.
none of those posts were me.

the paleontologist over in the dinosaur thread? That would be me.
>>
>>2356371
>>2356374
What about turtles? I have literally never met a person weired or creeped out by a turtle.
>>
>>2356332
>This is what normal people do.
No they don't
>>
File: IMAG0151.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0151.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Sinbads being a good boy today. He didn't feel the need to bite my finger today to get his worm.
>>
File: IMAG0152.jpg (941KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0152.jpg
941KB, 3264x1836px
>>2356491
He did, however, quickly tire of my shit.
>>
>>2356491
Where did you buy him?
>>
>>2356527
I didn't, a family member got him for me.

I think she said she got him at Walmart.

I actually was aiming to get cherry shrimp and try my hand at that before getting any fish, but she misunderstood me when I was talking about it and she thought I didn't have the money to get the fish so I was settling for shrimp.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-14-00-45-54.png (946KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-14-00-45-54.png
946KB, 720x1280px
One of the platys is just laid on the surface, not looking good. Usually when I buy fish from a pet shop I buy extra because something always goes wrong but I didn't do that today.

Shame, I think it's the stress from the drive home honestly.

>>2356491
That's a really nice betta lad
>>
>>2356534
I know! I love how beautiful he is. He has tiny black speckles in his tail that I keep trying to get a picture of, but he won't hold still long enough.
>>
>>2356534
Oh shit, I thought that was a goldfish at first kek.

Daw..I hope he makes it anon...maybe turn the lights low and quiet the room? Poor fishy..
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-14-00-52-20.png (605KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-14-00-52-20.png
605KB, 720x1280px
>>2356538
Store I bought my platys from today had a really nice dumbo betta. So annoyed I didn't buy it but honestly have no where to keep it. Picture does no justice.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-14-00-58-30.png (867KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-14-00-58-30.png
867KB, 720x1280px
>>2356540
Yeah I did that straight after the picture, also put a pea in just in case that's the problem.

Every other fish is doing completely fine which is good, must of just bought an ill one. He does look a little nipped at but I didn't want to say anything.
>>
File: IMAG0153.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0153.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2356538
Ha! Got it!
>>
>>2356541
Oh my god that's fuckin awesome!

You should have snagged it anon!
>>2356546
Poor dude...or dudette.

Cute fish either way. I will be sending himgood wishes and many happy fish dreams.
>>
>>2356551
>You should have snagged it anon!
I know but I have absolutely no where I could put it. My main tank already has a betta and I didnt think a betta and a gourami was a good idea.

Thanks for your fish dreams, I'll update on him tomorrow. I get the feeling he isn't gonna make the night
>>
>>2356427
It is
>>
>>2356491
>>2356492
>>2356547
Holy shit...I was posting on my phone earlier, I didn't realize how much detail you can see on the computer. He looks fuckin awesome!
>>
Bear with my autism anons, is it possible to use a plant as an aerator?
>>
>>2356533
Thats really sweet of her. Luckily I've kept a lot of bettas with shrimp. It's just the personality. It does seem like sinbad has a bit of an attitude though... It might work if the tank is planted enough.
>>
>>2356371
I think some people sperg out over it. It depends on how you deal with it. I don't think I've tested my reef for 4 months, and it's doing OK. I don't really touch my reef often either. Just RO water for the ATO every week, and feeding the fish frozen food daily. I do know some people that test their reef first thing in the morning, first thing when they get back from work, and last thing before they go to bed. Thats a little neurotic, especially when it doesn't really matter.

I think it definitely can be a little autistic-ey when I have people come over and I tell them about my tank. I've pretty much stopped trying to show off certain corals (cuz I pretty much list everyone in the tank), and let them ask questions, which they normally have plenty of. Nothing pisses me off more though when a girl briefly looks at my tank and goes, 'Oh, cool nemo' and carries on. Literally didn't go down on a girl one night cuz of that. Just kinda hate fucked her.
>>
I've never used an air stone before.

Does it matter where I place it in the aquarium? Do I leave it on at all times?
>>
>>2356613
Doesn't really matter where you put it. Usually closer to the center is better, for waterflow. And yea, leave it on at all times, unless your trying to run Co2 or something for your plants.
>>
>>2356616
>unless your trying to run Co2 or something for your plants.

I do have plants, but I'm not running CO2. Your're saying if it was CO2 that I wouldn't want to leave it on all the time, right?
>>
>>2356602
Some plants are good at aerating water. Especially plants that leaves reach the top of the water. Are you the same anon who wants a shrimp tank with just plants? A sponge filter isn't hard or does it cost a lot of money. Shrimp will also eat off of it.
>>
>>2356620
Not the shrimp dude, I have a tank of mosquito fish. I was wondering about cost effective methods to aerate. Do you know or recommend any specific person types of plants?
>>
>>2356619
Correct. An airstone will more or less give your tank gases in similar ratio to what your air pump is sucking out of the room. When dosing Co2, your trying to keep co2 at higher then normal concentration, and running an airstone will leach that out. I used to run an airstone at night when I used passive Co2, in order to prevent Ph crashes over night.
So yes, if you run passive Co2, and your trying to negate nightly Ph fluctutions, you would only run the air stone at night.

In your situation though, run it 24/7. It really doesn't matter to much where you put it though, as it doesnt make that much current. I'd suggest getting a powerhead though. I don't know why more people don't have powerheads on their tanks..
>>
File: IMG_1594.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1594.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
currently in this 5 gallon bucket:
powder blue gourami
red tail shark
half moon betta with fucked up fin

ask me fucking anything
>>
>>2356630
>>2356602
Both of you, go to the store and buy floating water lettuce. Provides tons of oxygen, more then enough. Maybe get a powerhead and use it to mildly agitate the surface too if you want. The floating water lettuce will actually give off to much oxygen, it'll raise your Ph. And when night comes and the photosynthesis stops, your Ph will spike, but a powerhead will help negate that.

Really a powerhead is best, but yes plants can aerate by themselves. Just make sure not to stock so heavily that oxygen begins to deplete in tank by the time the lights come on in the morning. no photosynthesis+ no powerhead = no oxygen
>>
>>2356604
Yea...she's a sweety but doesn't always...communicate the best.

I didn't have anything except a 2.5 gallon bowl when she got the fish. Literally had to crank the house heat up and make an emergency run to the next closest town to get a heater and tiny filter.

But now he's in a much nicer set-up and loving it.

>shrimp

He is such a chicken shit, it's almost not even funny:

>>2353264
>>
>>2356630
I got a whisper 3 gallon filter for about $7 at walmart.

That will agitate the water AND make it cleaner for you.
>>
>>2356633
Thanks. Good info.
>>
>>2355956
despite the fact that people tell you to house bettas alone, they get 'lonely' for lack of a better word

In a small tank, their focus is YOU walking past since there's nothing else TO do in such a small space. In a large tank, there's things the look under, places to explore, space to be busy in but this also highlights how there's nothing else in its space but itself. This is why its recommended to let your betta fight a mirror a few minutes a day so it has SOMETHING to get feedback on

I personally just threw guppy/platy fry into my ten gallon every so often though tankmates can work. Glass shrimp in particular
>>
How much do you think it would cost in electricity/water each month to have like...7 betta tanks.
>>
>>2355245
Just get pool filter sand. Super cheap. No chance of contaminants. No biologicals, nothing to change pH.

However, sand is not the greatest thing for freshwater planted tanks. Not a whole lot of flow through sand. Many people have done it though and it looks fantastic. I hear the key is fert tabs and anchors.
>>
>>2355748
Yes. Betta love checking shit out. So do a lot of the bigger, more intelligent fish, like arowana or flowerhorn.
>>
>>2356693
Pennies. Unless you're dedicating like a 30g tank to each or something.
>>
>>2353725
Are you sure your tank is completely cycled and your nitrates are low?

Also, how do you introduce your tetras to your tank? Acclimate temp and do not mix the bag water with tank water. Don't open the bag until you're ready to transfer. If they've been sitting in there long enough, the difference in Oxygen/CO2 in the bag vs outside could cause a pH swing. Unless it's a breather bag.

>>2354493
Cardinals are less hardy and have stricter parameters. Still not a particularly difficult fish, however I advise against them because they get bigger than most realize. Six half in fish seem fine until they grow to be six 2-inch fish.
>>
>>2353838
>Though mollies
They're specifically brackish fish though so that doesn't count.
>>
>>2354081
>that dechlorinator wasn't used or that they were kept in freshwater?
Actually this bit is easy to prove. Sales of clownfish went up 40%. Sales of water conditioners did not go up 40%. ;)
>>
>>2356567
No, it isn't. What's hard to understand about this?

Normie pets:
A dog
A single cat
A fish in a bowl

Not normie:
Talking about fish and ph levels on 4chan
>>
>>2356226
Get shrimp, shrimp are some of the raddest aquatic things you can get.
>>2356250
can confirm, I only own inverts
>>
>>2356814
Pretty normal. Fish is now is not normie.
>>
>>2356645
This, basically as cheap as a plant anyway

>>2356761
Yeah with my tetras I just poured them all from the bag into my net and didn't mix the bag water in. After floating the bag of course. They're doing great.

>>2356769
I hope this is a joke

>>2356814
Kek never thought about it like that. I just go to 4chan for all my interests desu
>>
>>2356912
Facts are facts.
>>2356912
I guess when scientist talk about this stuff it's autism to.
>>
>>2356769
>this bit is easy to prove
so prove it.
>Sales of water conditioners did not go up 40%. ;)
bullshit. post your source.

>he thinks we use dechlorinators for saltwater
kys idiot
>>
>>2357017
Lol you probably shouldn't be keeping salt water fish if you do.
>>
>>2357017
Kek hope you don't actually keep salt water fish
>>
>>2357048
>thinks marine aquarists use tapwater
literally die in a fire.
>>
File: aOqeVhz.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
aOqeVhz.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Some trimming on my stems is producing bushier offshoots. Kind of wish my alternanthera reineckii cardinalis showed some progress too, you guys weren't kidding when you said they are one of the slowest stem plants. At least it hasn't melted at all
>>
>>2357107
>At least it hasn't melted at all

I've seen numerous people online and on YouTube describe aquarium plants as "melting".

What exactly does that mean? Just dying?
>>
>>2356917
Of course dechlorinator sales didn't go up 40% retard. That would only make sense if only clownfish need dechlorinator.
>>
>>2357109
Basically just wilting. Getting soggy and stuff
>>
>>2357084
The ones who bought nemo did. Actually a lot of them do who don't keep corals and inverts.
>>
>>2357107
Dude took me months to get mine to where they are at now.
>>
>>2357204
>The ones who bought nemo did
[citation needed]
>a lot of them do who don't keep corals and inverts.
no we don't, dipshit.
>>
Why are test kits so fucking expensive?
>>
>>2356315
Where the fuck did you get that notion? Generalizations like that make an ass out of you, you can't possibly make a claim like that.
>>
>>2357248
Citation for truth? GTFO freshwater fag.
>>2357297
I did. Just like the other guy did. Water you gonna do about it?
>>
>>2357257
Go to walmart.
>>
File: IMAG0154.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0154.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
I changed some stuff around in Sinbads tank. Got some more plants, and finally got around to making him a bigger 'cave', because I was so smart the first time and completely forgot about him having to make a nest.

It doesn't look the prettiest, but it's more about what's functional for him.
>>
File: IMAG0155.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0155.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
>>2357371
Better close-up.

I'm still doing weekly water changes, but I don't know how necessary it is. The water tests always come out fine.
>>
>>2357257
$25 is expensive?

Granted API master test kits are not the greatest, but they're good enough for the vast majority of situations.

If you think API master test kits are expensive, you probably shouldn't have fish, or possibly any pet at all.
>>
>>2357398
>$25 is expensive?
Yes
>>
>>2356372
Yeah that could work. What sort of filter are you using? If you could just angle it a bit to agitate the surface it'll go away
>>
>>2357107
Looking a lot better although I think you should get a background.

>>2357257
50 dollarydoos here in Australia
>>
File: jgilHjM.png (511KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
jgilHjM.png
511KB, 1280x800px
NEW THREAD

>>2357420
>>2357420
>>2357420
>>2357420
>>
>>2355956
I've kept them in community tanks with just about any common community fish, as well as angel fish. they usually defend a small area and frequently make nests. larger water volume almost always reduces water quality fluctuations and that usually results in fish living longer
>>
>>2355016
based on this response I don't consider you more responsible than your friend. actually its likely your friends betta will probably live longer than some of your fish
>>
>>2357398
you know if you have been in the hobby for awhile. they are strangely expensive because everything else can be found used or on clearance, traded. i have some very expensive fish but often go without test kits because its bullshit
>>
File: glowlight tetra.jpg (27KB, 447x268px) Image search: [Google]
glowlight tetra.jpg
27KB, 447x268px
>>2353725
>read that i can keep neon tetras with bettas
Bettas are not mass murderes, they are territorial fish with long, fragile things. Once you understand the nature of bettas you'll understand that there is a number of species that can be kept with them, if your setup is suitable for BOTH species.
These are typically smallish, calm shoaling species e.g. glowlight tetras (photo), cherry barbs, harlequin rasboras, cory cats...

On the other hand most of these would benefit from a larger tank, 20 gallon long at the least.
Thread posts: 350
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.