[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Red Pandas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: MLG.jpg (152KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
MLG.jpg
152KB, 1000x1000px
I don't get why Humans never tried domesticating the Energetic Red Coons.
>Just Imagine Adorable and friendly Red Pandas on every continent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzVwrvbz_XA
https://youtu.be/DSehQsYU9h4?t=9
>>
They don't breed fast enough and produce small litters. This makes domestication hard, you have less genetic material coming in every season to work with and longer gestation periods compared to a dog or a cat.
>>
because humans didn't domesticate animals for companionship, we domesticated them as tools
all domesticated animals have a purpose

now in much of the world their purpose is no longer required, but since we evolved along side them we still enjoy having them around
>>
>>2351799
One can argue that Cats and birds/ornamental fish do not fit the narrative though.

Everything they do, dogs do it better.
>>
>>2351780
Might as well start now and save the Red Coons from extinction

Put them on the Pet Hierarchy u feel me?
>>
>>2351814
Cats kill mice and rats. Fish were used to keep water basins cleaner
>>
>>2351840
Why do we have specific breeds of dogs designed to catch rats then?

You can make the argument for fishes (Aquaculture) but ultimately cats are 'groomed' for companionship since Time immemorial.

Ultimately, most fishes, lizards, snakes, rats/hamsters/gerbils, birds and to a lesser extent cats were originally groomed for exotic display and companionship, rather than their utility.
>>
>>2351777
Just imagine underground red panda fighting dens. How adorable yet brutal they would be.
>>
>>2351875
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOFq5q8Lo18
>>
>>2351876
Brutal!
>>
>>2351888
>>2351875

https://youtu.be/aFygxsBHlw8?t=90
>>
>>2351777
Does it breed?

Also
>Checked
>>
>>2351840
>Cats kill mice and rats. Fish were used to keep water basins cleaner
Dogs kill mice and rats.
Cats kill anything and everything, they are an intrusive species and every one of them should be drowned.
>>
>>2352018
best mayme
>>
>>2351840
But birds are pets just because of their colors and sounds.
>>
>>2351777
The actual answer is because they didn't live near European people

>inb4 2 hard 2 domesticate

The fucking auroch was domesticated. These guys would have been a damn cake walk by comparison, you'd just have to wait slightly longer - though domestication already takes a long time, patience is something already required.
>>
>>2352071
Some birds were kept to detect poisons in the air or gas leaks, especially in mines and in the rooms of the rich and powerful
>>
>>2352071
The first pet bird was the chicken and it was kept for eggs.
>>
>>2352078
>Okay guys, would you rather put in the effort domesticating this giant beast that will provide us good meat until the end of time, or a little dog-like creature because muh cute

count on a stormfag to apply his retard logic loooooooool
>>
File: Britbong.png (226KB, 4500x4334px) Image search: [Google]
Britbong.png
226KB, 4500x4334px
>>2352087
>Dat Fur tho
>>
>>2351777
Because domestication rarely occured in function of anything but usefulness.
The chinese domesticated silkworms because they are useful but never domesticated the Red Panda because they provide nothing but being cute by today's standarts, they may not even think they were cute in the past.
>>2352086
That's not a pet, though.
>>
>>2352087
People bred fucking guinea pigs so they can eat them
>>2352091
This as well

It does also make sense that we would domesticate something just because cute, why do you think we keep pets? Cats aren't even truly domesticated animals, we keep and intentionally breed non-domesticated animals just because we want to, like birds.
>>
>>2352099
Chinchillas comes to mind...
>>
>>2352100
Gerbils, hamsters, fish...

Seriously the only animals that truly are 2hard2domesticate would be medium+ apex predator animals since they *require* vast amounts of land just to themselves to be happy and large quantities of meat.

Except that generally normal people have kept 'pet' tigers and other similar beasts and actually kept them happy and affectionate. A concentrated effort could probably domesticate them if we wanted to and didn't have PETA groups on our ass.

So even our hardest and bitchiest mammals can probably be domesticated into sweet big orange fluff monsters.

I think that there's never going to be domesticated insects or fish though, just perhaps modified to be more pleasing.
>>
>>2352109
A lot of wild animal's 'requirements' come from needing to protect and feed themselves.
>>
>>2352109
It has a very specialized diet, 'low' breeding rates and requires space to roam.
The Red panda is still wild but a lot more friendly/sociable than an ocelet.
It would take at least 3 generations to mellow it down to the same level as dogs/cats.

This could be accomplished.
If Creatures like otters, Prairie Dogs and Pelicans could be tamed, I don't see why not.
>>
>>2352118
My family keeps sugar gliders, I cant imagine the red panda could be much more annoying
>>
They are useless.
>>
The concept of useless moe/cute in human culture is really REALLY young, I'd say even younger than electricity. It's a doctor paper right here take it for free lol
>>
>>2352169
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNz6EV0EFfY
>>
>>2352169
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or6RbwFFtZc
>>
>>2352416
If that were so, lapdogs would never have become a thing
>>
>>2352018
This
>>2351799
Cat's are not domesticated. They chose to live around humans who would directly or indirectly shelter and feed them. They did catch a few mice during the 8 hours they weren't asleep in the ancient days of food stores so humans never didn't consider them pests at first, but the crafty feline exploited this and now 6000 years later they've become fixed into our culture.

Tldr: Cat's are crafty opportunists.
>>
>>2352561
Why does it sound awfully like women?
>>
>>2352568
Kek
>>
>>2351777
Exactly how much land do they need?
>>
>>2351847
I would argue many of those animals aren't domesticated though, they are at best tamed, and in most cases simply just captured
>>
>>2352604
I don't think you can class them as captured when they are raised in a Human environment over generations.

It is like Pigeons.
>>
>>2352416
Faggot desu desu
>>
>>2351777
Why though?
>>
>>2351777
selective breeding is hard when they
A) have relatively limited numbers even in the best of times
B) don't have large litters
C) only produce young every once in a while/have short mating availability.
They aren't like dogs/cats who breed relatively quickly, and don't have any real uses outside of being cute so there is no reason to seek them out in the first place.
It has been suggested that evolution of the domestic cat was largely due to living in proximity to humans, rather than being intentionally used as tools. Eventually they just became convenient.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.