[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

:0

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

Hi /an/ Well, I have a few free days, and I want make an Ant Farm.
Anyway, my doubt is, How much large must be the space behind a jar and the other? The measure is 0.08ft. Is it enough? I could spend money whit a Glass Farm but I m feel stingy
Sorry if i have a failures with the written :(
>>
>>2351530
100 gallon tank at least
>>
Thanks, i really needed know that
>>
>>2351530
Depends on the species. Check out AntsCanada

http://www.antscanada.com/frequently-asked-questions/
>>
File: nicos1.png (3MB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
nicos1.png
3MB, 1500x844px
>>2351530
>>2351537
Ant PRO here, I've raised several colonies including exotic species and if you really wanna get into the hobby then you should take your time.

Ants aren't stupid, if you don't give them what they need they'll test their enclosure for weakspots and exploit them to escape. And they're pretty good at that trust me.

Also don't be fucking too stingy, you're gonna need some basic equip if you wanna be serious about this. A jar like that can do but you'll have to mod it to make it escape proof and drill some holes for tube connections.

Also get some test tubes and some cotton. That shit will be your best friend.

For some more info listen to this underage kid. He might be a squeaker but everything he says is right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yawFq_cI8E8

AntsCanada is good too like >>2351607 said.

>>2351532
You won't need a tank that size until your colony got several thousand workers.

Also pic related is my current fav colony. Still in the founding stages but they're doing pretty well.
>>
>>2351530
Unless they are a large species, you'll want no more than 1/8th of an inch between the two jars. Any more than that and you won't be able to see all of their tunnels.

Some other tips:
-The inner jar should be shorter than the outside one. That will give you a flat surface to give them food and water. The inner jar should also be completely sealed, otherwise the ants will get in there.
-Remember to bake your dirt. 30 minutes at 300-400°F will do. This will kill anything living in the soil. Try to crush it into a grainy, sand like consistency afterwards. That will make it easier for your ants to dig in.
-Don't put in too much dirt. The ants will dig and bring it upwards. You don't want them piling it to the top of the jar.
-Make sure the outer jar is sealed tight. Put a few air holes in it, but make sure they are too small for the ants to get through. A sewing needle will work if the lid isn't too hard.
-Test it with some workers of the same species first. If you can keep them alive for a month, then a small colony should be able to survive in it.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.