[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of slug is this and how do I take care of it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_2100.jpg (1MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2100.jpg
1MB, 3024x4032px
What kind of slug is this and how do I take care of it?
>>
>>2351493
Banana slug.
You get a cheap 10 gallon tank and take care of it like any other slug on google.
Will die if your summer temps get too warm though.
>>
Keep it around 50-70 degrees. Too hot will literally kill it, too cold will make it hibernate.

https://snailsandslugs.wordpress.com/2010/10/04/terrarium/

There's dozens of guides on making a terrarium. Ultimately you want to keep the environment moist but not soaked, and want to clean up any standing water and rotting food to prevent mold and anything that may hurt the mollusk.
>>
>>2351534
Also slugs do not give a shit about having a large environment. You could keep a handful of them in a gallon tank. The issue is if you want a self-replenishing colony of slugs that'll periodically breed and lay eggs you'd want to go for something slightly bigger and a bigger tank means more work with cleaning up.

If you want to make a full terrarium tank you could include things like earthworms and pillbugs which won't hurt the slugs and will have symbiotic benefits with the soil and detritus.
>>
A Leopard Slug or Limax Maximus. Fastest slug species there is, and is should be kept alone as they cannibalize on other slugs. I've had one as a pet since November. Feed it banana or apple pieces, in a tank or tupperware as long as its semi-ventilated.

They're nocturnal so have some sort of cave for it to hide in.

I'll post a few photos.
>>
File: Abathur_L.jpg (2MB, 2000x1222px) Image search: [Google]
Abathur_L.jpg
2MB, 2000x1222px
>>2351493
>>
File: 1484616688251.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1484616688251.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
they stretch out really long when they travel, but bunch up small and tight when resting or when disturbed.
>>
File: abathur1L.jpg (2MB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
abathur1L.jpg
2MB, 2000x1333px
Yours is a lot smaller so likely younger. Make sure you dont have any soap or anything salty on your fingers when you handle it.
>>
>>2351545
That's too cool
>>
>>2351539

Implying slugs wouldn't eat everything in the tank, those worms and isopods would be slugfood in no-time.

>>2351499
It's not even yellow, how the fuck did you think it was a banana slug
>>
>>2351557
Some species don't give a shit and benefit from having isopods around eating leftovers. There's only a handful of slugs that specifically prey after worms.
>>
>>2351557
>not even yellow

Some nanner slugs are brown or green.
>>
File: IMG_2122.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2122.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
Thanks for the info!
I measured him and he's 7cm when he's stretched out, which according to the internet means he still hasn't reached maturity.
I improvised a cage and it's 10 litres so I hope thats ok.
Also I need name ideas
>>
>>2351747
Call him Sucrose, cause he's sweet
>>
>>2351747
Sluggy
>>
>>2351747
snail
>>
You can also stick little slugs or worms in there as food since a big portion of their diet is carnivorous. In terms of leaves/veg they usually prefer it rotting rather than fresh but you need to watch out for mold.
>>
>>2351747
Slimer
>>
>>2351747
Duncan the slug
>>
>>2351747
Name him Ramona
>>
>>2351747
Radical Larry
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.