[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many birdos can you identify by sound alone? I know like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: peregrine-falcon-head-shot.jpg (32KB, 175x169px) Image search: [Google]
peregrine-falcon-head-shot.jpg
32KB, 175x169px
How many birdos can you identify by sound alone?

I know like maybe 15 if I'm lucky.

Any tips for getting better? I have the songs/calls sound files but most of them just end up sounding like the same repeated tweets and chirps to me.
>>
>>2351106
I read that some bird expert guy reccomends picking out an individual bird and listening to/watching it sing. He said studying individuals first makes it easier to then learn species because you can see the variation within them.
>>
File: nice.jpg (21KB, 640x390px) Image search: [Google]
nice.jpg
21KB, 640x390px
>>2351106
Oh, look at its big eyes
>>
>>2351106
I think at least all of them barring maybe one or two.
>>
>>2351106
All the birbs
>>
>>2351106
This >>2351112
I've been doing this more lately and seem to identify their melodies much better now. Also sometimes when I'm doubting between species which are closely related I'll just play their melodies outside. Often birds will react to the correct melodies because of territorial display. It's especially funny when they fly really close to you because it's looking for it's rival which is me using my dumb phone.
>>
I know the sound of the Morning Dove by heart thanks to an old animal sounds CD I had when I was a kid
>>
when I went to Europe I heard the birdcalls from Arma 2 and could pick them out

don't know what bird that is though
>>
File: 1458425767333.png (530KB, 429x429px) Image search: [Google]
1458425767333.png
530KB, 429x429px
>>2351106
A few:
>Lesser Goldfinch (nice tweets)
>Verdin (favorite bird)
>American Crow
>Morning Dove
>House Finch
>Cactus Wren (so loud)
>Gila Woodpecker
>Great Horned Owl
>Wild Turkey
>Gambel Quail
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yysn5niIVVo

>>2351550
>>2351112
What they said. The more you spend with them, the better you are able to ID them.
>>
>>2351106
Something like 35 local species, plus some foreign ones that I've never seen IRL. I've learned most of the sounds by either listening to bird song CDs, or by spotting the bird while it's vocalizing. Usually the latter way helps me link the bird and its sound together better. It can often be hard to see the little songbirds though, and I find many of their melodies difficult to memorize.

Also, something about that falcon's face makes it look uncomfortably spooky.
>>
File: kcique.jpg (81KB, 1005x680px) Image search: [Google]
kcique.jpg
81KB, 1005x680px
>>2351106
some of the local birbs I can id:
>lesser goldfinch
>blue-gray tanager
>blue headed parrot
>spot breasted woodpecker
>great kiskadee
>blue/yellow macaw
>thick-billed euphonia
>canaries
>mourning dove
>tropical kingbird
>>
>>2353590
Also
>yellow headed caracara
>>
Let's see. Quite a few now that i think of it. I do animal photo as a hobby. Red wing blackbirds have a pretty distinctive call.
>>
>>2353590
>lesser goldfinch

I saw one of these today and tried to watch it sing. It made some damn weird sounds. I would have stayed longer but I had to get going.
>>
>>2353928
they come to visit sometimes :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0d8AgI_gDI
>>
Red shouldered hawk
Red tailed hawk
Mockingbird faggots that like to try to sound like hawks
Never heard a wild Harris Hawk but I bet I would 10million% know it
Cooper's Hawk
American Kestrel
Kildeer
Mourning Dove
Mockingbird faggots that like to try to sound like car alarms
Doubt I could ever ID too many ducks by sound, though Black-bellied Whistling Duck would probably be one
There's one or two others I ought to know but can't think of right now
>>
>>2352249
>Also, something about that falcon's face makes it look uncomfortably spooky.
Raptors look at the thing which is most important / interesting at the time. Say a scary dog walks by: their eyes will be glued to it up until they bate. If there's nothing scary, it'll be whatever's interesting at the time: food gets lots of attention, but my red-tail will watch my fingers if they're near enough to her. If there's nothing at all, they will just sort of glance around and not look at anything in particular, it's just their eyes have to point SOMEWHERE.

This particular bird looks like it might be nervous / frightened by the camera or cameraman.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.