[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Minding Cats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1491512322890[1].jpg (2MB, 2976x3968px) Image search: [Google]
1491512322890[1].jpg
2MB, 2976x3968px
My uncle and his family have gone on a holiday for the next few weeks. Instead of sending their cats to a kennel or something, they asked me to take care of them. As a university student still living with his parents I jumped at the opportunity to move out, even temporarily. Plus, they live closer to uni than my parents so it’s pretty convenient.

They have two cats, a black one and a stripy brown one. The brown one is nice and friendly, he'll come and rub himself on my leg and likes getting patted. The black one is less friendly, he's a master of stealth and shuns human contact in favour of dark corners.

Anyway, the instructions were pretty simple: give them a scoop of cat food every day, let them out in the morning and then bait them back inside at night with fancy mincemeat that is nicer than what I've been eating the last couple of days.

Cont. in next post
>>
>>2350811
Cont.
I showed up at night a few hours after the family had left for their holiday with the cats already inside. Despite being around awake for a few hours, I only saw the black one once before it fled around a corner and disappeared again. When I woke up the next morning, both cats were at the back door expecting to be let out. Following the instructions given, I obliged. The black one shot out while the brown one strolled out slowly and then stayed around the house.

Once I returned from uni in the afternoon, the brown one was still nearby and when I opened the door it came in willingly. Again, as per my instructions, I put out some mince and waited for the blacks return. It didn't show up.

The next morning I'm woken by the brown cat scratching at the door. I look outside and surprise, surprise; it's the black cat! I open the door to try and let it in but he's way too wary. He wouldn't go near me and would run back outside if I tried to close the door behind it. Try as I might, I couldn't hold him and he fled back to the outdoors after a few mouthfuls of food (the food bows sits right next to the door).

The same thing happens that afternoon after I let the brown one in. Brown scratches at door, black is sitting there waiting, I open the door and step away, it manages to get a few mouthfuls but I fail to trap it and it eventually fucks off.

This morning, I tried a slightly different tactic. The black one turned up again but this time, instead of moving away after I open the door, I stand there and hold it open and close it behind it. It was a resounding success and I feel like an idiot for not doing so sooner.

The problem is that now I have two cats that are expecting to be let outdoors. The back one goes nuts and starts climbing up the screen door (pic related) while the brown one sits there looking outside longingly. Eventually they calm down and the black one resumed hiding while the brown one wanders the house.
>>
>>2350812
So now I'm left with a dilemma. Do I continue to try and follow the owner’s instructions or do I try and turn these outdoor cats into indoor cats?

Any other tips about looking after these cats that you can think of would be welcome. I've never cared for cats before and my instructions were pretty basic.
>>
Tell the black one to fuck off if it doesn't want to come back inside.
It's probably having a great time killing song birds and infecting the neighbors.
>>
>>2350813
It takes time to weed out this outdoor cat behavior. Time and long-term commitment to your cat's safety and well-being. If the owners never bothered you can't be expected to make it during the next few weeks.

As much as I think it's irresponsible and outright rude to let cat outdoors like this, you should look out for yourself, since you can't fix their owner's mistakes. Just follow the instructions and do this locking the door behind black cat thing and you should be in the clear.

The cats aren't likely to die on the streets right now when you're taking care of them if they haven't so far. The holidays will be over soon and you'll be in good terms with your uncle and family. The cats might die later but, then again, that's not your problem.
>>
you're just feeding ferals at this point
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.