[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good or Facinating Dog Houses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: 1563556-right-1.jpg (353KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1563556-right-1.jpg
353KB, 1500x1500px
Good day, /an/!

I recently purchased and paid in full a nice 178 acre ranch home in Maryland and are currently looking into a nice dog house.

Friend just had a newborn litter of German Sheppards and I will eventually adopt one in a few months to a year.

What are some nice conveniences and materials these days? Poly/composite materials instead of wood seems interesting and better longevity. Mobile may be nice too. The top 3 acres around our house is already wired for radio fence around a nice large perimeter so will probably get one of those collars in the future when it grows up.

Thoughts on materials and discussion of neat techie/niceties stuff they got these days would be appreciated!
>>
mdfag here too. I'm guessing you are in Western MD? anyhow. poly will last longer and is easy to clean.
>>
File: IMG_3805.jpg (58KB, 359x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3805.jpg
58KB, 359x480px
>>2350766
Something like picrelated stuffed full of straw works pretty well.
>>
>>2350780
Central/Western. Frederick is close. Yeah, composite materials are nice and considering building a third deck with it. It looks much nicer than years ago and closer to wood.

>>2350782
Strange. Not sure I would want hay substrate but I have plenty of it around. Seems sanitary though. The dog would be outside full time for all but the coldest of nights.

I really like what that guy did in the pic. Sort of have a slab of concrete around it which I assume lessens ticks (at least around where they sleep)
>>
File: Shock-collar+wound+2.jpg (33KB, 250x245px) Image search: [Google]
Shock-collar+wound+2.jpg
33KB, 250x245px
>>2350766
>>2350794
Just going to say it now.

You can't leave a dog outside with one of those collars on 24/7. The dog will need a fenced area where it doesn't wear the collar or to be brought in overnight and for portions of the day, where it also does not wear the collar.

The longest you can safely leave an e-collar on a dog is 12 hours in a 24 hour period. You do not want to be repeatedly putting the collar on the dog for 12 hours a day. Too much time in an e-collar can lead to pressure necrosis, which is every bit as painful and disgusting as it sounds. At most, in the interests of the health and safety of your pet, you'd want the dog to have free run of those 3 wired acres for 2 or 3 hours a day. The rest of the time the collar that goes with the radio fence needs to be off, so the dog needs to be on a chain that it can't get tangled in, or safe behind an actual physical fence a minimum of 5ft in height.

Any dog house will do. You can pour a concrete slab and set the kennel up on that, sure. But DO NOT leave a shock collar on a dog for prolonged periods.
>>
File: 20170406_181235.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170406_181235.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>2350800
Makes sense. I assume after awhile he will learn where not to go pretty quick as they are a intelligent breed. I would also expect to have him trained well enough to be completely free quick as well.

I am not sure I really need a fence around the house as I am surrounded by fields for many acres.

Don't get me wrong, the dog will have plenty of room to wander. I also a good chunk of the side of the mountain and 3 barns where we keep our implements. For some reason the previous owners must of had a dog that wandered off.

Pic taken now.
>>
File: 20170406_181412_HDR.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170406_181412_HDR.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Oh look, a rainbow. It has been pretty wet.

Yeah, a wet dog is no good. I suppose I could just build him a shed with a rfid collar to get in and out.

Those won't hurt the dog right? I don't want opossum and things getting in to get food.
>>
>>2350808
Have you ever had a dog before? Because GSDs can be very stubborn and prone to hassling and killing livestock. That's going to have to be some pretty thorough training, and even then I would not let any dog roam unsupervised. Maryland is in the United States, isn't it? You'll have to be wary of your dog tangling with coyotes. He might get in over his head, killed, and eaten.
>>
what part of maryland though?
i also live in maryland
>>
>>2351009
Never had a German Sheppard, thanks for the info though. I will investigate further. Even though it wouldn't be as convenient as taking my friends dog, I suppose I could look at other breeds that are more tailored for the environment.

>>2351024
Central Western close to Frederick.
>>
>>2351009
>hassling and killing livestock

Not if they are raised with it. And OP, you might want to get two or three. The cost honestly won't be much more in food, but you will get the added benefit of protection for your livestock+protecting each other from coyotes.

Honestly, three would probably be ideal, because two might not be enough to have each others backs.

My uncle had two huge rotties that had free roam of his 28 acres, but one had a run-in with a bear and ended up having to be put down. The second dog was hurt, but not badly.
>>
File: refreshments.jpg (72KB, 635x354px) Image search: [Google]
refreshments.jpg
72KB, 635x354px
>>
>buys a dog
>leaves it outside 24/7, alone

Can't wait to see your dog at a shelter in two years because it's "aggressive" and "destroying your property"
>>
Being raised around livestock doesn't necessarily mean it won't figure out it is fun to kill said livestock at some point. That is how I got one of my best dogs a GSD/husky mix that one day decided the chickens he was raised with needed to die and they couldn't get him to stop killing them so they dumped him at the pound.
>>
>>2353438
I do go outside you know. I do want him to be a bit aggressive. I don't want it to be a always quiet scaredy cat. Beasts are meant to be outside, not in the home. I am not averse to garages and shelter for them, but not actually "in" the home where we live.
>>
>>2353392
Better than my apartment.
>>
>>2354067
Outdoor only dogs are more likely to maul family members.
>>
>>2354067
>Beasts are meant to be outside, not in the home.
But anon, man is the only true beast.
>>
>>2354067
only mexicans do this shit. it's fucking dumb. fuck you regardless.

t. whitewashed mexican

fuck you
>>
>>2354067
>I do want him to be a bit aggressive. I don't want it to be a always quiet scaredy cat.
> I am not averse to garages and shelter for them, but not actually "in" the home where we live.

oh, so you're one of those.

kill yourself my mang
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.