[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Mouse thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 8

File: basketball.gif (2MB, 400x228px) Image search: [Google]
basketball.gif
2MB, 400x228px
Post cute mice, stories about mice, advice about mice, mice doing silly things. I love anything and everything related to mice
>>
File: inbred.jpg (61KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
inbred.jpg
61KB, 620x413px
Ive thought about having a mouse as a pet, but i'm worried about losing it.

I don't really like cages. I'd really love to have a pet mouse that can roam around the house freely, like a dog.

is that feasible though?
>>
File: Starvation_03d7d9_6222749.webm (2MB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
Starvation_03d7d9_6222749.webm
2MB, 720x720px
i hope he got the seeds eventually
>>
File: 1280px-CalhounJ.jpg (436KB, 1280x860px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-CalhounJ.jpg
436KB, 1280x860px
>>2347669
I've kept reptiles for years. For some of my monitors, until I'd weaned them to pre-killed, they would only take live - so I fed them live (well, livish).
Point being: I had two little mice in a tub - it was quite large, and they had some things to hide in/under - that I was holding a day or so to feed one of my animals. Apparently it was too hot... Or too cold... Or too loud... Or too fucking something... And they got agitated, stressed out, and I didn't realize it.
The one responded to this by killing his compatriot and eating most of his body over about a 12 hour period from the tail up.
Lovely little animals though, really, just lovely.

>>2347670
>is that feasible though?
You'll end up accidentally killing it, or it will end up accidentally killing itself. They're very fragile when it comes to human-scale force, and one accidental step in the dark or just leaning back in a chair at the wrong time, equates to a dead mouse (which you either have to scrape off your foot or whose corpse you must dig out of your sofa).
If you're not a complete retard, its escape shouldn't be too much of a problem.
>>
Any small rodents are welcome, i think the previous one was a hamster
>>
>>2347702
Any idea how to prevent them getting agitated?

Is there any kind of treat or substance that helps them, like catnip for cats?
I'd love to have some happy little mice
>>
Whyndo people fear them?
>>
>>2347710
> prevent from getting agitated
Just provide them an environment that suits their needs: a gradient of temperatures, safe hides, enough food and water, not too much noise or other stimulation, etc etc.

> treat or substance
Not really necessary. Just give them comfortable environment FOR THEM and they'll be fine - but don't anthropomorphisize all over the place, they aren't people and don't think like people do, so what makes you happy isn't necessarily what makes them happy.

Beyond that, again, keeping them contained shouldn't be hard unless you're retarded - they're clever and acrobatic, for tiny little critters, but there are plenty of containment measures they can't overcome.

>>2347715
Good question. Probably a combination of things.
An ad hoc theory: Evolutionary effect due to fitness-positive selection for negative response to small scurrying beasts (revulsion = better chance of killing or driving them off, they are vermin and spread disease, etc etc) combined with a cultural effect derivative from that evolutionary effect; ie, people are innately prone to such response, and cultural views aligned to this, acting as feedback motivator toward such responses in the population.
>>
File: fieldmouse-4082543.jpg (251KB, 820x620px) Image search: [Google]
fieldmouse-4082543.jpg
251KB, 820x620px
There was a park I once volunteered at where they kept domestic mice as a food source for the snakes they had. One day as I went to take care of them I found that one had apparently escaped somehow, and fell into a bucket where it had gotten trapped with a wild field mouse that also got trapped. At least that's what I assumed. I just found the field mouse feeding on the remains of the other mouse.

Seeing them side by side was genuinely eerie to me. Field mice are built differently, and while they're very cute in their own right, just how large its eyes were in comparison to the other mouse it was eating made it look almost alien in this context.

The fact that it was another kind of mouse feeding on that mouse weirded me out (despite knowing that mice in certain situations are known to cannibalize each other). It suddenly made me imagine a human being eaten by another human, except the human predator was some kind of physically superior strain of human with giant eyes that bulged out of its head.
>>
File: field.jpg (68KB, 880x669px) Image search: [Google]
field.jpg
68KB, 880x669px
it amazes me how tiny they can be.

Literally climbing stalks of grass
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.