[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/herp/ - Reptile & Amphibian General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 68

File: ChameleonTongue.jpg (330KB, 2000x1312px) Image search: [Google]
ChameleonTongue.jpg
330KB, 2000x1312px
Back to regularly scheduled programming edition.

previous >>2338793

/herp/ reptile classifieds for finding breeders of various scaled and sundry creatures

>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>Also check to see if there are any annual reptile shows/expos in your area as these are good places to find good animals from good breeders at partial discount

/herp/ officially official all purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>do not fuck with (handle) your herp for at least 7 days after bringing it home and ideally wait until herp has eaten at least one meal (for snakes), two meals for lizards, frogs, etc.
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>it is best to avoid chain pet stores when looking to purchase live animals as mass breeder suppliers are not especially careful about health and sound genetics... it often saves you money long term to spend a little extra up front to get a healthy animal

>Jump Start (formerly Hydrofarm) thermostat is a good basic and inexpensive thermostat for regulating ceramic heat emitters and under tank heaters (Amazon sells it)
>if you want something more advanced for temperature control, look at Herpstat products
>>
File: chameleonSleep.jpg (71KB, 780x438px) Image search: [Google]
chameleonSleep.jpg
71KB, 780x438px
>>
File: ChameleonDwarfJacksons.jpg (2MB, 1889x1533px) Image search: [Google]
ChameleonDwarfJacksons.jpg
2MB, 1889x1533px
>>
File: Female_Jackson_chameleon.jpg (136KB, 1024x710px) Image search: [Google]
Female_Jackson_chameleon.jpg
136KB, 1024x710px
I wish the care for these guys was easier. I live in very dry climate and it would be very difficult to get their humidity and airflow correct here.
>>
I'm looking to get my first Beardie and researching subscrates has got me all up in a tizzy. I know that sand a shit and I'm probably just going to have paper towel for the first year but long term I have no idea what to use. Is the carpet easy to clean? I read that a 50/50 soil sand mix is alright is that true?
And is 40 gal to big for a <6-8 month?
>>
>>2347533
Ceramic or slate floor tile from hardware type store is great. Cheap too as you only have to buy a few tiles at like a dollar or two each. Paper towel works just fine. Reptile carpet I find to be a bit annoying to keep clean.

If you want to do a naturalistic look, excavator clay works fantastic with beardies. The one issue with it is that it takes a few days to completely dry out after you have added water as per instructions and molded it to the shape you like. So, beardie would have to live elsewhere while do that.

40g is fine for a juvenile. Put extra decor (logs, cork bark, artificial plants) so beardie has plenty of spots to hide if it wants.
>>
>>2347536
What is the general guide to growth and tank size from juvenile to adult?
>>
>>2347539

Well, with bearded dragons the size is less of an issue as they are not so easily stress about as nocturnal snakes and geckos are. The extra decor is mostly just to remove that wide open exposed feel of a large tank for the younger dragon. Contrary to some wrongful assumptions, the more decor you have in there the more you will see your pet as they feel more comfortable in the environs.

40g, which is usually 36" x 18" x 18" should be sufficient for whole life unless the dragon is exceptionally big and needs a bit more space.
>>
What can I put in a 40 gallon tank?
>>
>>2347566

Lots of stuff. Whaddya have in mind? Snek? Frogs? Gecko? Lizards? Only things animals that won't work in something like that are arboreals (tree dwelling) and anything that will get too large for it.
>>
>>2347533
>I read that a 50/50 soil sand mix is alright is that true?
That is true. Beardies do fine in a naturalistic viv. Sand/soil mix with leaf litter is a great substrate, and some people go bioactive with isopods, springtails, and even mealworms naturally thriving in the viv.
>>
>>2347580
I love frogs the most, but I'd want one that would utilize all that space
>>
>>2347671
a group of fire-bellied toads?
>>
Also what brands lights/heating? From what I've seen in stores Zoo Med seems to be the best quality.
>>
File: dartfrogs.jpg (2MB, 2608x2615px) Image search: [Google]
dartfrogs.jpg
2MB, 2608x2615px
>>2347671

Well, you could go for a pyxie frog. They're certainly big enough to use all of it. Pacman frogs too, although they are not very active creatures and most just burrow themselves up to their eyeballs in the substrate and stare in to space. Pyxies have an unstoppable appetite and will require a ton of food, so keep that in mind. Otherwise their care is not difficult.

Most interesting in terms of activity level would be a colony of smaller frogs though. Like fire-belly toads as anon above mentioned. Or one of the easier to keep species of dart frogs. Dart frogs are a bit delicate so it's important to do a lot of prep research and get your setup right before getting any of them home, lest you have something off and your semi-expensive tiny frogs die off on you. Fire belly toads are easier.

Oh and if you're in the US you can get bumblebee toads. They are dart frog size but easier care, lower humidity requirement. Josh's Frogs website sometimes has them available as they breed in-house. That website is great for all things small froggy if in the US.
>>
>>2347823

Doesn't really matter. The long strip UVB bulbs are better than the compact ones. Heat really doesn't matter and you can get an incandescent from hardware store of the appropriate wattage for a fraction of the price.

Night heat, if needed, is best provided by a ceramic heat emitter or an undertank heat, depending on application. Brand doesn't matter for ceramic emitters.
>>
File: tree-frog.jpg (36KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
tree-frog.jpg
36KB, 620x372px
>>
>>2347836
Looks like he has some bad news to tell you
>>
File: 1405905581054.png (1MB, 962x985px) Image search: [Google]
1405905581054.png
1MB, 962x985px
>>2347847
>>
>>2347828
I already have a pyxie, he's probably my favorite frog I've ever owned, and a pacman as well. I'll look into frog colonies.
>>
File: uromastyx.jpg (11KB, 332x152px) Image search: [Google]
uromastyx.jpg
11KB, 332x152px
>>2347566
I have a young uromastyx in mine

He is the most fun pet I've ever had
>>
How long before the canned meal worms in my bearded dragons feeding bowl go bad?
>>
>>2347857
I have a male pixie, too. I feed him load of bugs from the field and forest.
I know people in the herp community frown on that, but pixies are hardy as fuck. and I think the pros of giving him an extremely varied diet outweighs the cons
I wouldn't feed most herps wild caught food, but pixies do well from all the variety
I've also fed him wild American bullfrogs, tadpoles, small snakes, anoles, house geckoes ect.
These frogs can also handle poisonous bugs pretty well because they evolved in Africa with a lot of highly toxic creatures to eat

It's a lot of fun catching food and feeding him.
I also have another pyxie who didn't eat wild caught prey most of his life, and he is a less skilled hunter, and more picky and generally less enthusiastic about food.
Wild caught food also has better nutrition
I feed food that is from nature without any pesticides

If anything has any parasites, I bet the frog could easily handle it. Pixies can starve their parasites pretty easily if they have to, because they can sleep and go a long time without food. and it's good for them to take long naps once in a while.
My pixie who has eaten wild prey his whole life is already almost 7 years old.

He also eats a lot of CB roaches, crockets, mealworms, super worms, wax worms, butter worms, horned worms, silk worms, soldier fly larvae, canned grasshoppers, canned fish, canned shrimp ect.

He appreciates all the variety. It's not good just to feed one thing or a few things. With all the variety, I dont have to overuse unnatural supplements
>>
>>2347912
I've never seen any sign of parasites though.
>>
>>2347912
>Pixies can starve their parasites pretty easily if they have to, because they can sleep and go a long time without food.
This is a theory that a breeder told me anyways. He said he could be wrong.Either way he very much believed in feeding field plankton. I tried to argue him, but he convinced me of the pros

Also, pixies are known to be gluttons, but if you always feed them the same thing they get bored of it or become picky and only eat it.
SO variety is very important with these animals
>>
>>2347917
I recently put some dragon flies in his cage, and put some fruit flies for the dragon flies to eat and keep them gut loaded. It gave him a lot of entertainment trying to catch those things for days
>>
>>2347912
>I've also fed him wild American bullfrogs, tadpoles, small snakes, anoles, house geckoes ect.
meanie :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
>>
>>2347917
Regarding feeding wild insects, the risks involved with that are small. You obviously don't want to go catching them from a place that has recently been sprayed all to fuck with pesticides. Otherwise, it's fine so long as you pay attention to the type of bugs you're catching and whether or not they make suitable feeders for your herp.

For instance, I feed wild caught house flies and grasshoppers to my geckos in the summer. Obviously no wasps, bees, centipedes, etc.
>>
I would like to try owning a newt or salamander. I heard tiger salamanders and Chinese fire belly newts are the best for beginners. Do you guys agree?
>>
>>2348317

Sure, both of those are pretty straightforward to care for. Check your local laws though. Salamanders aren't legal to keep in a lot of places.
>>
>>2348317
ontop of what this anon said>>2348341
salamanders are under heavy scrutiny due to a fungi wiping out entire ecosystems worth of amphibians and cant cross state lines
>>
It's not too hard to clean up snek poop from repti bark is it? Getting a Jungle Jag soon and wanted something that resembled -at least somewhat- it's natural habitat.
>>
>>2348520
do you have a scooper?
>>
Getting my first ball python tomorrow morning !
It's a juvenile ivory male from snakes at sunset (heard they are good as far as breeders go). Everything is set up and ready, went for a nice sized tub with two Hides, one for hot, one for cold, decent sized water dish, and some logs and fake leaves i got from the petstore to fill out the space a bit because the tub is a big big for him

Heat pad under the hot side hide is regulated and is a steady 91-92. temp/humidity gauge at the cold side of the tank is sitting at 81-82 and 72% humidity. Monitored them running for the last 2 nights just to be sure since it's been getting pretty cold here at nights and everything seems to stay steady. I was having problems with ambient temp so i got a red heat lamp a few inches above the top of the tub and it's keeping it nice and stable.

Everything sound good? want to make sure im not forgetting anything obvious. Planning on popping the little guy in and leaving him be for 4-5 days to get used to his new home
>>
>>2348530
No I thought that was only for sand? Since the openings are too thin for bark? If there is one that works with it I'll buy it today
>>
>>2348563
How much was he? Show us photos when you get him!

The snake hobby in America is different to how it is here, it's interesting.
>>
>>2348563
Any light will stress your ball python out, ditch the heat lamp and get a ceramic heat emitter.
>>
>>2348563
Also, what kind of substrate are you using?
>>
>>2348575
yeah you just scoop it out
>>
>>2348577
About 250$ with the shipping

>>2348578
From what i read the red lights are fine, also the tub is blacked out everywhere aside from the front face so he wont really see it anyway

>>2348582
Double layer of paper towel
>>
anyone got any good diy or store bought lizard harnesses?
Its nice outside again and I want my beardie to get some actual sunlight
>>
>>2348587
From experience and because I learned from very experienced keepers, any kind of light will stress your snake out and can cause it to not eat or regurgitate their meal. If you start having issues, I highly suggest making the switch.
>>
>>2348603
Ferret harness' are perfect for beardies.
>>
>>2348130
Rodents aren't at that good for pixies, the 7 year old pixie has only eaten rats 3 times in his whole life. Too much rodents leaves to liver failure. The ones that eat a lot of rodents will rarely live longer than 10 years and will often die within the first 5. But it's good for them to eat some vertebrate prey, though too much of any vertebrates is hard on their liver as well (so I've heard)
But frogs are probably the healthiest vertebrate for a fog to eat. Because they are known to eat a lot of these in the wild. Fish and lizards are pretty healthy. And birds are healthier than rodents, but not as good amphibians, reptiles or fish.
I only feed vertebrates every 2 months. They probably eat a lot more than that in the wild, but I've heard to be careful to not over do it with any vertebrates. All I know for sure is that rodents aren't healthy unless fed very rarely.
Too bad I can't study their natural diet myself. I'd really like to see everything that they eat and how long they live depending on their diet.
Anyways, point is. You're supposed to feed your pixie frogs small animals.
Besides it's a lot of fun. I love all animals, but it's a huge rush seeing the raw side of nature up close and personal. Just like it would be a rush to see a lion kill a zebra in nature
It's not like dog fighting. I'm just feeding my pet so that they're healthy and can hone their natural predator instincts
Which I know for a fact is good for them, pixie frogs that get to practice their hunting skills on a variety of prey are more skilled hunters and less lazy
>>
>>2348614
Lizards hate harnesses
It's stressful and cruel

Just bring the lizard somewhere that you can easily catch it if it runs off
>>
>>2348587
>>2348604
Is that just a ball python thing or does it go for other pythons too?
>>
>>2348666
pretty much any nocturnal snake can get finicky under light and even diurnal animals dont wont to be bothered at night by lights

My 2 snakes(ball and carpet) get ambient light from the window in the room(not direct it will cause heating issues) during the day and then they get a smaller amount from my iguana cage and anole enclosures that I turn off at 8:30 and 9:00-10:00 at night but its mostly so my lizards dont get thrust into total darkness
>>
Why is my red eared slider so scared of me? I kill some of the fish to feed him and he runs off into the water to hide will he trust me at some point
>>
>>2348670
Carpet pythons love the sun and brighter lights, what subspecies is he? Some even benefit from UVB lighting.
>>
>>2348677
Enjoy the quiet while it doesn't trust you. Once these fuckers realize you're the source of food, they will splash around nonstop begging you for more.
>>
>>2348677
Give it time for him to warm up. Then once it trust you, then expect this to happen >>2348687
>>
>>2348563
I would find a better way to use the lamp, the bulb could easily melt the lid or start a fire. I modified a few of my tubs to have a piece of screen, but that comes with the downfall that humidity escapes easily.

Leave the snake alone for 6-7 days and then offer food. Considering you've got a ball python and they're easily stressed, make sure that it eats a minimum of 2-3 meals spaced 7 days apart in a row without hesitation before you start handling as well.

>>2348666
All snakes. Lights are ok so long as they're only on during the day, though.

>>2348679
Any UVB lighting should also only be on during the day, but it can benefit snakes to have some access.
>>
>>2348706
Oh yeah no of course I meant only during the day.

During the night is shitty definitely. If you have a heat pad and a heat light you can just have the light/thermo on a timer.

personally I just have a purple halogen on always (produces no light at all) and LED lights on a timer. I take her out for sun when she needs.
>>
Where ya get yer crickets from(in bulk) from?
And how long do they live?
>>
>>2348656
>bearded dragon
>outside
>easy to catch

thats funny
>>
>>2348687
I don't know how long we've had the turtles in our store, but they're all acutely aware that we are feeding them
I used to think they all dove off the basking platform because they were scared, but no, thats just the mad dash to the front to get fed

the biggest one will swim to the front, inflate his craw and give you the staredown
>>
>play some video with koalas in it
>one of them starts screaming
>bearded dragon climbs over his log to give me the stink eye

are all australian animals connected?
>>
File: image.jpg (867KB, 1710x1203px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
867KB, 1710x1203px
Does anyone have any experience with the eco terra thermo/hygrometer digital readers? Are they shit? Do they really help? I have a small set up for peacock day geckos and want to breed them.
>>
>>2348778
Go on ebay and buy the same thing for $3 including postage
>>
>>2348679
its a jungle
I had a nice cage halfway build that I was going to put some decent led's in along the top but got hit by a flood in august so most of my herps are in plastic bins
The iguana has a cage ontop of a table that I made from the remnants of my pantry
>>
>>2348726
amazon either from josh's frogs or flukers
They live as long as I need them to but do have a couple die every couple of days though
>>
>>2348746
>are all australian animals connected?

Yes.
>>
How do you guys go about keeping your salad greens fresh?
Does buying full heads or bundles of whatever keep them fresher longer?
I've been buying premixed bags of like collard greens and stuff, but it seems to wilt and go bad really fast
>>
>>2348851
I buy a fresh head of lettuce, rinse it out, wring most of the water out with a salad spinner then just wrap the leaves in paper towel to absorb excess moisture and seal it in a ziplock bag with most of the air out. Makes it last a week or two longer, sometimes upwards towards a month before it starts to spoil
>>
>>2348656
Have you ever had a big lizard? I have a tegu and he needs exercise so we take him for walks. Do you even know how fast they can run? You wanna come try to catch him for me? Don't talk about shit you don't know anything about.
>>
>>2348792

That exact model? Is it any good?
>>
>>2348959
>Don't talk about shit you don't know anything about.
>we take him for walks
the irony
>>
>>2348965
I think there is one there. It's the same shape but without the print.

Personally I used a different type that has the thermo and hygro together as one which work great, have one for either side. The one I use has a memory function for the lowest or highest recorded temperature which I love too, just an extra safeguard against anything going wrong.
>>
File: 20170402_142507.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170402_142507.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2348587
I have a heat light and UTH for the day time and a ceramic heat emitter and UTH for night time. She's yet to have any feeding issues
>>
>>2347533
I use a coconut substrate for my snek and it's bomb af but don't think it'd be as good for a beardie
>>
>>2348851
I buy fresh bushels of greens then chop them up and put them into an airtight container with a tiny bit of water(little more than mist) keeps them good long enough for me to use them all over the course of a week
>>
>>2348959
Does he bark at other dogs
>>
>>2349050

Yeah, it holds moisture too well for arid climate herps. Makes the tank too humid.
>>
File: Snapchat-316486875.jpg (430KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-316486875.jpg
430KB, 1080x1920px
>>2348563
THE SNOOT HAS LANDED
>>
>>2349292
Gorgeous anon
>>
File: rhinoviper.jpg (85KB, 750x598px) Image search: [Google]
rhinoviper.jpg
85KB, 750x598px
>>2349292
these things are so cute I used to hate them because they were fat but as I've gotten older I appreciate THICC snakes more

for instance I've fallen in love with rhinoceros vipers
>>
>>2349339
Do the thicc bite?
>>
How often should my salamander be eating
the first 3 months he didnt eat anything, recently i got him to eat the biggest fucking nightcrawlers i can find, he wont take anything small
if he's eating a fat worm as long as him how frequent should feedings be
>>
>>2349585

Big meals like that, eh... once or twice a week max.
>>
>>2349608
seems a bit frequent, il continue trying to feed him often
>>
How cognitive are Beardies? Can they recognize an individual?
>>
File: WP_20170404_23_26_04_Pro.jpg (1MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170404_23_26_04_Pro.jpg
1MB, 3072x1728px
Updating on charile. He came out of brumation in February. Ate two superworms within the 5 month period. Has eaten twice (normal meal size is two superworms) since then. Maintained his weight the entire time and is active as fuck. As a 5 year old gecko should be.
>>
File: WP_20170404_23_22_50_Pro.jpg (1MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170404_23_22_50_Pro.jpg
1MB, 3072x1728px
>>2349665
Shedding alot though, he's shed 3 times this month. Shed once during his 5 month brumation.
>>
File: WP_20170404_23_26_28_Pro.jpg (1MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170404_23_26_28_Pro.jpg
1MB, 3072x1728px
I'm also going to be building a new tank out of wood. Gonna upgrade to slate tiles. The terrain is going to get re-built as well. However this time I will be taking my time on building it. No more rushing to get it finished. Hopefully it comes out well.
>>
>>2349624
>can they recognize an individual

they have eyes yes
>>
>>2349682
source?
>>
File: CtgEHpi.jpg (912KB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
CtgEHpi.jpg
912KB, 2988x5312px
>>2349687
Fritz confirms he has eyes and can in fact, see me
>>
>>2349688
those are his ears
>>
>>2349665
>>2349668
Do you purposely brumate him or is it just a side affect of temperature swings where you live?
>>
>>2349665
Looking good! Yeah the three geckos I have that feel the need to brumate have just been getting back in to summer mode as well the past couple weeks. I don't do temperature drops aside from the slight ambiant shifts in the house, some of the geckos brumate (or semi-brumate) and some stay active all year.
>>
>>2349292
Me again.

Temps are steady in my little guys cage but I've noticed a humidity spike in the overnight hours, up to about 93% where as it usually sits around 60-70 during the day. I live in costal Cali and the overnight humidity is literally 100% most nights . There. Is no condensation on the inside of the tank walls and the paper towels are not wet btw.
>>
Anyone here keep Mountain horned dragons? If so what are they like? Really want to get another lizard preferably something with lots of personality. Currently keeping a blue tongue and an assortment of tarantulas had leos in the past. Open to suggestions.
>>
File: v_acanthurus.png (736KB, 795x463px) Image search: [Google]
v_acanthurus.png
736KB, 795x463px
>>2349755
ackies are probably the most personality you can have in a "small" lizard. they do need some more space than a blue tongue though
>>
File: IMG_2914.jpg (93KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2914.jpg
93KB, 675x900px
Craigslist ads for leopard geckos make me want to kill myself guys.

>two geckos of unknown sex living in same 10 gal tank for 3 years
>calls one a leopard gecko and the other a "fancy gecko"
>no hides at all
>disgusting water dish
>feeding LETTUCE
>asking $100

A-at least they aren't on sand?
>>
>>2349692
Temperature changes, I don't turn his heat off. He stays on the cold side the entire time
>>
>>2349624
every reptile can recognize individuals. well except maybe blind ones
>>
>>2349750

That's no problem. As long as the average hands around 60-70% you're good. You can also run a fan in the room to get more airflow going, which will decrease the humidity in the room a bit.
>>
File: AnimuConfused.jpg (39KB, 374x347px) Image search: [Google]
AnimuConfused.jpg
39KB, 374x347px
>>2349762
>leopard geckos
>feeding LETTUCE
>>
>>2349750

Nigga, you best be careful. Balls are literally all inbred.

It'll go off it's food, don't panic.
It'll be retarded - remember, they are inbred.

Also, while the red light is fine as they cant see the red end of the spectrum, the bulb is painted / colored glass, meaning they still see the filament.
>>
I'd really like to get a chameleon, but it would be my very first time owning a pet. Is it difficult to start from scratch? What's the investment needed?
>>
>>2350163
chameleons are hard to keep and high maintenance. you're better off with one of the beginner reptiles
>>
>>2350163
no chameleons are expert level pets
>>
>>2349762
So what kind of gecko is the "fancy gecko"?
>>
>>2350169
>>2350172
Uh. Shame. So what would you recommend?
>>
File: IMG_0658.png (484KB, 500x520px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0658.png
484KB, 500x520px
>>2350185
If you are in a tropical climate without seasons, (Hawaii and Florida) then they are really easy to take care of, just go to the pet store and get mealworms. DO NOT FEED THEM CRICKETS!! Well, you can as treats, but don't have that be their main food source, crickets don't have all the nutrients that a chameleon needs, and it could get a nutrient deficiency, and have one of its legs shrivel up and fall off.. (that happened to 2 of my females before I switched to mealworms) mealworms are also easy as fuck to grow, you just need a long tubberware container and put unmade oatmeal, and some old veggies that are no longer good, they will start breeding like crazy and you will have free food for your Chameleon for life, and also feel free to feed them some of the beetles the mealworms become, but do that after they start breeding. When I had chameleons I never had to go to the store for food and I had 27 of them..(and 2-3 mealworms breeding containers) most chameleons don't like to be pet, but one I had would always light up and just chill on my shoulder when i grabbed him and felt sad when I let him go, he was weird, but I loved him. When he died I just couldn't go through it anymore and got rid of all my chameleons, plus the mealworms.
>>
>>2350183
Looked like some kind of pet store quality tangerine leopard gecko to me
>>
>>2350183
pretty much what this>>2350241 anon said
Petsmart doesnt classify 99% of its morphs as anything other than Fancy
the other 1% are certain ball python morphs with a big dollar attatchment like leucistics or bannanas
>>
>>2350231
don't do it no matter what climate you are in. it's his first fucking pet, and a ;lizards's legs will not fall off JUST because you fed them crickets. you just sound like a terrible owner
>>
>>2350258
FTw I saw that it's his first pet, he should get a goldfish. And btw, if you feed a chameleon nothing but crickets for a a few months it is not good for them, and this was about 7 years ago. So far I have never had a chameleon since, for the fact that I know I don't have the time or money to take care of one.
>>
File: IMG_7093.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7093.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Pls help
Im a retard piece of shit and didnt keep my balls humidity up right and now he has his shed stuck on his eyelids
Its my fault and i got all his other shed off but he wont let me antwgere near his head what can i do to help him? Hes not getting it off himself
>>
>>2350276
They should come off eventually, but if he won't let you get it with a damp q-tip then just wait 'til the next shed. It's not a huge deal, but if it persists then there's an issue. Try soaking him for about 30 minutes every day until it comes off if it bothers you
>>
>>2350263
I know it isn't good, but legs falling off has to something else
>>
>>2350263
crickets are far from perfect but mealworms are to
except they are fatty as fuck
If he were to get a chameleon(he shouldnt) a mix of those 2 and dubias would be good with some extra vitamins dusted onto the food once or twice a week would be ideal
>>
>>2350231
legs shriveling up and falling off sounds like retained shed(s) cut off blood flow to the limb and made it die
Crickets will not do that, might leave your chameleon a bit malnourished but nothing that extreme
>>
>>2350319
Hes really nervous as is and not being able to see is really amplifying it
Also he has trouble aiming for the rats i give to him
Im gonna try the soaking thing because hes an adult and doesnt shed often anymore update you guys later
>>
I got my blood python to eat a prekilled mouse
Time to celebrate
>>
I introduced an adult male and female American bullfrog to my ornamental pond in my backyard. Yesterday, the two mated and the female released her eggs. Is she going to leave my pond now? I don't want her to ;_;
>>
File: IMG_2916.jpg (311KB, 1056x792px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2916.jpg
311KB, 1056x792px
Considering gecko number two. Should I do it guys? Not even sure what a reasonable price for a gecko like this is.
>>
>>2350881
A baldy leopard gecko 70-80$ maybe if its adult?
>>
>>2350885
Are adults usually priced higher than babies?
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 251x201px
Talk me out of getting an Axolotl
>>
>>2350924
you need a large tank (20 gal or more) and a way to keep the water around 60 degrees, which is pretty damn cold. you want a big tank because axolotls are messy as fuck, but you can't have a typical filter. why can't you have a typical filter? because it stresses the delicate things out and makes them die from stress. you can't have gravel, because axolotls are stupid and try to eat them and can kill themselves swallowing rocks on accident. you can't have decorations because their gills and skin can tear on just about anything. no plants because nothing to plant them in.

so basically you need 200+ pounds of consistently cold, still, stagnant water in a tank with no decorations for a pet that really doesn't do much.
>>
>>2350926
My only concern here is how to keep the temp that low
>>
File: IMG_4488.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4488.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Tegus are the smartest reptiles in the world. All others are inferior.
>>
>>2350920
adults are always priced higher
>>
>>2350934
thats easy you just buy a water chiller
>>
>>2350937
tegus are just the monitor's retarded cousin
>>
>>2350942
You want to talk about retarded and yet you don't even understand that monitors and tegus are completely unrelated. A fantastic example of convergent evolution though. Tegus are much more intelligent than any monitor I've ever met.
>>
>>2350943
t. pedantic fucktard tegu owner
>>
>>2350934
aquarium chiller, which costs hundreds of bucks.

Also I hear a small fan blowing on the tank works if it doesn't get too fucking hot but makes water evaporates faster, otherwise crank up the AC they're in if it's too warm in the summer
>>
>>2350944
go post some crab-like decapods in a brachyura thread
>>
Guys, I don't know what the heck happened overnight, but my gecko isn't in its tank.
Any tips on how to attract it? Don't want to miss it forever.
>>
>>2351131
what kind of gecko and are you sure?
My suggestion is to put some crickets in a container where he can see/smell them and check on it from time to time to see if it has attracted its attention
>>
>>2351132
A leopard gecko, and yeah, I'm sure.
I'll try that, but my room is quite big, so I'd have to try various places.
>>
>>2351134
if its a leopard gecko that restricts the areas it can be atleast. Will most likely be under furniture.

You could leave lines of flour on the floor overnight also to see if they get disturbed by it walking over them
>>
>>2351136
Oooh, that's a pretty good idea. Thanks.
>>
>>2350881
Colored like cheetos
>>
>>2350885
He's supposed to be a "blood emerine het for eclipse" and he's 7 months old. Parents are from some big names and the asking price is $200 with shipping.

Like >>2351141 said he's really pretty and I'm tempted, but the price tag is knocking the wind out of my sails. I have tried local conventions but cannot find any nice looking SHTCT leos for the life of me.
>>
>>2351136
>>2351139
Okay, found the little shit. Case closed.
>>
>>2351155
where
>>
What can I feed red eared sliders with? According to Internet they can eat pretty much anything but I don't want to get rused by shitty sites
>>
>>2350346
Mealies are NOT fattening. Meal worms are a terrible staple diet, because they hard to digest and don't have enough nutrients. They should be fed as an occasional treat, not everyday.
There staple diet should be crickets and various feeder roaches. And you should feed them silk worms, and horn worms to add variety but not too much because they are fattening
>>
>>2351191
They do eat pretty much anything. They are mostly carnivorous as juveniles but shift as they grow older. Put duckweed and other plants into the tank so it can always eat those when it feels like.

For carnal diet, there's a ton of things to mix it up. Fish, shrimp, crickets, locusts, meal worms, wax worms, nightcrawlers, gammarus, clam meat, bloodworms, etc.
>>
>>2351199
Furthermore, this is newb level info. It's like you guys never read a damn care sheet or book in your damn life, holy shit

Or maybe you read some of those petsmart or petco ''care sheets''
>>
File: asdasdfds.jpg (55KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
asdasdfds.jpg
55KB, 720x960px
Pick this guy up tomorrow, excited. First snek
>>
>>2351191
This >>2351200

In terms of plant matter as they grow older, there are a lot of plants and veggies they can eat, barring a few outliers like cabbage, iceberg lettuce, etc. Mine fucking loves red leaf lettuce and can polish off like 2-3 huge leaves in a day
>>
>>2351206
>>2351200
I see. And I heard they always want to eat more, is that true?
>>
>>2351203
What a cute snake
>>
>>2351203
Is that a carpet Python?
>>
>>2348604
My ball python is calm and comfy with infared heat lamp, no problems at all.
>>
>>2351228
They're greedy piggies, they'll always want to eat even after have already eaten and will beg for food as if they were starving. Turtle are opportunistic feeders by nature and will eat as much as they can at once, thinking they won't eat again for a long time. As a result they have a slower digestive system which allows them to go for long periods without food. It's really easy to make them obese and develop a bunch of problems like shell pyramiding by giving into their begging.

It's best to feed them pellets/carnal foods every other day/three times a week while having plant matter available to them everyday to nibble on if they choose so.
>>
File: doragon.jpg (345KB, 1632x920px) Image search: [Google]
doragon.jpg
345KB, 1632x920px
I have a pet theory that bearded dragons allowed to freeroam in a mischief-proofed environment enjoy better health and less stress than lizards kept in tanks.

The only anecdotal evidence I have is that I let mine freeroam everywhere and he seems very active and youthful even at 12.
>>
>>2351471
if people wouldn't keep beardies in shitty 20 gals all the time they'd have enough space without being allowed to freeroam
>>
>>2351471
most places aren't the right temperature
>>
If I get a snake will it get rid of bugs for me?
>>
>>2351771
No
>>
>>2351778
What will it do then? It's not like you can take them for walks or play fetch.
>>
>>2351787
snakes don't eat bugs retard
>>
>>2350939
Why?
>>
>>2350934
freeze a water bottle and let it float on the water.
>>
Just got two axolotls to satisfy my need for aquatic amphibians while in the process of getting a permit for sirens.

One wild morph, the other GFP wild. (green fluorescent protein) The GFP one glows under blacklight but otherwise looks just the same!
>>
>>2350939

Because the breeder has invested more time and resources in to the animal the older it gets. Also, geckos that are old enough to breed right away are valuable to other gecko breeders as they don't have to have as lengthy a delay before they can add the new gecko to breeding rotation.
>>
How long do you guys wait after a snake has shed before trying to feed it again?

I have a 4 yo corn snake (just adopted)
Just shed in one go
hasn't eaten for about five or six weeks
Tried feeding it a few days ago
>>
>>2351894
I usually feed mine like the day after i find the shed
>>
File: Salamander_tank.jpg (94KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Salamander_tank.jpg
94KB, 960x720px
Rate my NEW salamander tank. Definitely an upgrade in my opinion. The water is murky because it got set up just a few days ago. I am working on cycling the water so I can put my new axolotls in it. Once the axolotls outgrow it I'll put some little fish or shrimp in there.
>>
File: asdasfa.jpg (710KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
asdasfa.jpg
710KB, 1242x2208px
>>2351332
Thank you :)
>>2351335
Yep! She's a black and white jungle jag. Breeder thinks the line is Axanthic but hasn't proven it yet.

Cutest little thing, just picked her up earlier! Took 1.5 hours there and 1 hour on the way back but she was worth it.

Her enclosure is a bit larger than what I would have liked but she seems to doing fine in it. If any issue arises I'll black out the other walls which I've already done to one of them (terrarium, not melamine).
>>
File: afsa.jpg (236KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
afsa.jpg
236KB, 720x1280px
>>2352044
She loves the fake hanging plants
>>2352003
That's awesome! How do you filter the water in something like that? I've always been keen on doing something like that, almost bought this terrarium with a Green tree python up top and a bunch of fish down the bottom but it was just too large and too far. Also, I think a few gold cloud minnow would look good in there. But I can't tell how big or small it is so I guess it depends on that too.
>>
>>2351203
>>2352044
that's a really cute snek. it's good to see pythons that aren't balls
>>
What emotions can reptiles feel?
>>
>>2352183
hungry
>>
File: 20170330_210622.jpg (647KB, 1439x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170330_210622.jpg
647KB, 1439x1080px
>>2352183
Hunger, fear and security

>>2352151
Have a blood python
>>
>>2352183
and now the thread will be derailed. fuck you
>>
>>2351471
First time beardie owner here. Currently he has his heatlamp and uv lamp on during the day(9 in the morning to 9 at night). At night he has his night lamp on only. Is that right? also he currently has newpaper at the bottom of his cage,should I upgrade it with some thing? Also I have scuplting over baking clay. I wanted to make him a new heat hut out of that, would that be ok in his cage?
>>
>>2352048
You should totally set up your own tank like that. You can even establish plants in the water to soak up ammonia and nitrate from your pythons waste. Although I imagine they have pretty concentrated waste, so you might need more water than would be feasible.
I am waiting for the dirt to settle a bit more, and then I will be using an airstone in one corner for circulation. If you establish a good plant population paired with detritus feeders (In my experience, I keep really diverse tanks, and try to fit all the roles of a natural ecosystem) you don't have to worry about actual filtration, as long as you can aerate the water. I even have a few tanks with no circulation whatsoever (just shrimp and mosquitofish) that have been running fine for about 6 months now. My main tank has only an airstone and it cycled way faster than expected. I am pretty sure that most people overcompensate when they cycle. It just seems crazy to me that people can fuck it up.

It is a ten gallon, so only big enough for about two minnows. I think I'll stock it with mosquitofish fry and let them sort out their own population to meet the size. That is of course after the axolotls have outgrown it.
>>
File: IMG_1624.jpg (420KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1624.jpg
420KB, 1080x1920px
So my rain frog is injured. A cricket the fuck out his up front leg all taking of a bunch of skin. I have been putting neo sporen on it but he is kinda just waddling about sadly and not eating or burrying himself. Any advice?
>>
>>2347512
why shouldn't I handle my beardie for the first 7 days? I let him crawl on me and my bed(day 2 for him here) and he looked like he had fun.
>>
>>2352195
I want a blood python but they're aggressive nancys

can anyone recommend a herp that doesn't require heating, only room temperature?
>>
>>2352365
>A cricket the fuck out his up front leg
What...
>>
>>2352368
Sorry it bit the fuck out his little leg. So now he has a wound.
>>
>>2352361

You should be using a ceramic heat emitter for night heat instead of a red bulb. They can still see some of the light from those bulbs and it will irritate them.

>>2352366

Many reptiles will have difficulty getting back in to a stable feeding routine when handled in the first week after moving to a new location. This is especially important with nocturnal geckos and snakes.
>>
>>2352367
>can anyone recommend a herp that doesn't require heating, only room temperature?

Why? You don't have electricity?
>>
>>2352367
>can anyone recommend a herp that doesn't require heating, only room temperature?
newts and salamanders usually require room temperature, sometimes even lower
>>
hey guys can you tell this fag to NOT take lizards from the wild
>>2352214
>>2352433
>>
I accidentally interrupted my crested geckos getting happy last night. The boy jumped off her and started licking his junk. It was the size of a red bean. I don't know where she puts it. I thought it was a prolapse at first.

/end storytime.
>>
>>2348778

The exact ones in your picture, I've had one for about 5 years. Temperture and humidity reading is still accurate. I have a zoo med temp controller ($50) and 2 zilla thermo/hydrometers ($20) and all have lost their accuracy in 5 years with no way to calibrate them. I just keep a mental note that the cages are 5 degrees cooler than the thermometers say they are.
>>
>>2352367
Crested geckos don't need heat.
My blood python isn't moody at all. He acts like a bolder ball python
>>
>>2352388
i heard heat rocks can burn them tho
>>
File: CHE.jpg (2MB, 1923x1826px) Image search: [Google]
CHE.jpg
2MB, 1923x1826px
>>2352563

A ceramic heat emitter is not a heat rock. You use it the same as a lightbulb with a ceramic socket fixture on the screen top.
>>
>>2351155
Hit him for making you worry
>>
File: IMG_9460.jpg (612KB, 1536x1097px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9460.jpg
612KB, 1536x1097px
Why do these turtles have this long nose-like thing?
>>
>>2352638
Those kinds of turtles also have a really long neck, which they use to just stick their nose out for air while buried under stuff; like a snorkel.
>>
File: 1453618155707.png (272KB, 363x518px) Image search: [Google]
1453618155707.png
272KB, 363x518px
>DO NOT EVER FEED LIVE FOOD! EVER!!! Even if you have a finicky snake, don't EVER give it anything but pre-killed. Believe me, your snake will learn. The only thing stopping you is your own laziness, or your overgrown ego from the "power trip" you get. Mice and rats are highly intelligent, complex animals that feel just as much pain and suffering as we do. If you can't sympathize with being tortured, slowly eaten alive over a long period of time, enduring pain and mind-boggling terror, then you shouldn't just be a pet owner, you should be behind bars of a mental ward. I personally advise not keeping snakes at all. They aren't domesticated, they never will be. They're cool, they're pretty, they're neat, but they aren't companions. Because of this, they will be happier in the wild, and you could choose a pet that will actually enjoy your company rather than just tolerate it.

xD
>>
>>2352765
I was on board up until
>not keeping snakes at all

also
>better in the wild

That's something that's already been argued to death so all I'll say is that snakes do a hell of a lot better than the average dog.
>>
>>2352151
Thank you :)

Yeah the hobby is a lot different here in Australia compared to America. Here all exotics are completely banned, we're only allowed native species. So carpet pythons are pretty common, maybe Antaresia being slightly more popular due to being smaller than carpets which get pretty big.
>>
>>2352638
Foreskin.jpg
>>
>>2352765
>mice intelligent
AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
the only reason live prey is bad is because it can hurt the snake
>>
>>2352765
I don't even keep snakes and I've seen what a trapped mice or rat can do to a snake.

Great way to fuck up your little hobby.
>>
File: 20170404_171538.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170404_171538.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Hello, /an/. I'm new to this board and have a few questions and concerns. I apologize in advance if I'm a bit scatterbrained as I am worried sick over my female red tail boa.

She's probably roughly around 4-5 years now, and almost 3-4 feet in length [hard to measure]. She's been eating regularly each month on the 22nd [1 small rat] and I've just coated her last feed with Reptocal for the first time.

Her mouth is on the pale side [it's very hard for me to take a photo] and I saw some bubbles in the back of the throat [not the trachea] but not coming out of the lips or nostrils. It looks like the back of her mouth is possibly swollen but I'm not sure if it was due to her position [she isn't a huge fan of having her mouth checked on]. I have never had a reason to check her mouth before and just read today that I should be doing this regularly [I feel awful about this, pls no bully], she doesn't make raspy noises, she does wheeze ever so lightly sometimes bordering rarely, there are no bubbles coming from her nose or mouth that I can see, but her tongue does flick very slowly from time to time [assuming this is from annoyance rather than being cold]. She does have an under tank heater and bulbs.

Her temperature stays around 80F-85F [Petco care sheet says to keep the temperature between 78F-95F], and I'm continuously keeping her humidity ranges between 60%-80% [Petco care sheet says to keep it maintained at 40%-60%, higher during shedding].

Tomorrow I will be scheduling an appointment with a veterinarian that is experienced with treating snakes and her breed, there are a couple places I will look into. I'm wondering if there is anything else I may do for my snake right now and in the future before I talk to the vet. My fear is the room she's in may be causing her stress, or there must be dust in the room that is getting to her.

[CONTINUING IN NEXT POST]
>>
>>2352938
nice dog
>>
File: IMG_3899wm.jpg (320KB, 1600x944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3899wm.jpg
320KB, 1600x944px
>>2352938
Her setup [prior vet approved]:

-Tank [photo attached, unsure of deminsions]
-Under tank heater: Reptotherm U.T.H. 30-40 gallon terrarium size
-Bulbs: 75W Night heat lamp, infra-glow 75W heat spot lamp (red, I leave this on all the time), 13W reptile tropical UVB 100 (leave this on all the time), unsure what day lamp I'm using seeing as someone touched my shit and probably threw away the bulb box.

>Questions:

>Can anyone give me insight on what the room you personally keep a snake in should look like?
>What chemicals should I use to properly clean her habitat, decor, water dish with? [The water system here is running on well water; I have to use water gallons to clean her habitat with instead of the well water that is high in iron]
>Could pet dander [there are cats in the home who sometimes lay on the top of her habitat] effect her?
>Could dust be effecting her?
>Should I move her into a room where no animals can have access to her?
>What bulbs should I buy for her?
>Fogger suggestions?
Any tips or advice is appreciated, thank you in advance for reading my long-winded post!
>>
>>2352938
WOAH IS THAT A TOROISExSNAKE HYBRID???
>>
>>2352951
no, dear. that's her hideaway. haha. any time someone goes to view my snake they always question if i have a turtle and i reply, "no, she's hiding inside the ceramic shell" :p
>>
Hi.
There's something wrong with my beardie.
He doesn't eat much and hasn't pooped for 5 days. He went 9 days without pooping before this stretch. The last time I gave him about 0,4 ml of paraffin oil and a 30 minute bath. What the heck is wrong with him? I've had him for 6 months and he never had problems before.
>>
>>2352972
Also there's this brown thing sticking out of his ass. I've been told it's a sperm plug and should come out on its own.
>>
>>2351471
His eye looks a bit fucked.
>>
File: SAINT-GERMAIN-CHELA-PICTURE.jpg (10KB, 234x313px) Image search: [Google]
SAINT-GERMAIN-CHELA-PICTURE.jpg
10KB, 234x313px
>>2347512
>>2347512
>>
>>2352941
first of all that 40 breeder isn't going to be adequate for much longer, once she gets to about 5 feet its officially too small, so start looking for something better now

tanks can be cleaned using a diluted vinegar solution, and that way you don't have to worry about chemicals harming your snake

if you can't train your cats to stay off of the cage, then yes it should probably be moved to a room they can't get to. Its an awful accident waiting to happen, no idea about the pet dander though

personally I would ditch the red bulb for a ceramic heat emitter, no light at all and much sturdier. it will actually stand up to the abuse of being on 24/7. The uvb bulb is arguably unnecessary as boas are nocturnal, and they get tons of calcium from the bones of their prey.

you shouldnt need a fogger, it sounds like you're holding the humidity just fine, I would actually suggest you keep it closer to 60%, too high for too long can cause respiratory infections
>>
>>2353044
Bless you
>>
>>2352638
>>2352644
Maybe... It looks like a narrow headed softshell, might be a nile though. If it's a nile, the neck is somewhat long but not really. Narrow headed barely have a neck. I think that's what this one is. A Florida soft shell uses it for a snorkel due to their neck (I think that's what you're thinking of) but I don't think the others do. They're an ambush predator with a crazy good sense of smell. The elongated nose helps it hunt.
>>
Is there anything i can do to make my beardie not think the ceiling fan is a bird trying to eat him?
whenever I turn it on he gives it the major stink eye and dives for cover
after it gets going it doesnt seem to bother him anymore though
>>
My autistic toad isn't eating his meal worms today, anyone know what i catch and feed him? I live in the middle of a desert and the closest pet store is 30 minutes away
>>
>>2353131
drive to the petstore? are you implying that 30 minutes is far?
>>
>>2350107
This post has scared me, Is this true
>>
>>2353044
>ceramic heat emitter, no light at all and much sturdier. it will actually stand up to the abuse of being on 24/7

Yes, I'm a big fan of CHE's and have been using them the past several years. I would use them as basking bulbs if I had herps that needed overhead basking heat as well. The are more expensive than bulbs, but you need to factor in that they tend to last 5 years+ of continuous use also. Also, don't buy CHE's from pet shops as the mark up on price is crazy. You can buy the exact same thing for a fraction of the cost from hardware store or amazon.
>>
>>2353191

It is true that herps can see the filament of red bulbs, and part of the light spectrum as well, just not all of what humans can see.

Inbred ball pythons, depends on the breeder. Ideally not, or minimally. The only major genetic issue BPs have is spider syndrome. Only spider and spider included morph BPs have that, and not all have symptoms.
>>
>>2353208
oh for sure, I should have added that, I bought some chinese one on amazon for like 8 bucks and its been running great for about 2 years solid
>>
>>2353191
Can't have ball pythons with alien silhouettes on them without inbreeding. There's an excellent example across town here but I'm too sick to go. Surely someone else has one.
>>
>>2353211
>>2353217
I'm deciding between
Mojave Pastle
Bumble Bee
Pastel
Lesser Platinum
From snakesatsunset (which I found from the guy earlier in the thread) I'm assuming when it starts to affect health is when they have stupid looking designs on them
>>
>>2353228
Yeah I was holding her one day and browsing /x/ and I looked down at my lap and fucking lost it, 3 ayy lmaos on her side (white aliens, black background.)
I'll bring a picture one of these days. That snake is salty as fuck and half retarded so I don't pick her up any more.
I might not wander over there til the end of the month.
>>
>>2353147
It is far
>>
>>2353263
eurocuk?
>>
>>2353265
Nope Egyptian nigga
>>
>>2353228
not necessarily
spider balls are a relatively basic morph but they have head wobble in their genes

Meanwhile crazy shit like the highway ball python looks like photoshop magic and I havent heard of any problems with them but its just a gravel with a yellowbelly
Add a pastel to it and it looks even better imo
>>
>>2353044
>>2353208
Hello, anons. Thanks again for getting back to me, it's appreciated. I see there are white CHE bulbs and black ones. Is there a difference? I ask because I found nothing of use on bing or google and the amazon reviews are just people using them for chicken housing and chick incubators.
>>
>>2353269
so a eurokuk
>>
File: IMG_1852.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1852.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Dear anons, my stepdad was a herpetologist and he died a few years ago. Mom is moving out of our house near Baltimore. She's giving away his tanks and reptile magazines. He had over three dozen tanks, all varying in size. If there's interest leave an email and I'll get back to you.
>>
>>2353122
I feel like I need to apologize to you because when I read this post I literally laughed out loud. I'm sorry.
>>
>>2353122
Holy shit same with my green anole kek. He eventually got used to ot over a month.
>>
>>2353312
you have anything suitable for a 4-5ft red tail boa? if so, drop your email and i'll get back to you immediately!
>>
>>2353312
>>2353394
sorry for your loss, you're doing a generous thing.
>>
>>2353228
>I'm assuming when it starts to affect health is when they have stupid looking designs on them

Nope. Just the spider morph has the head wobble. Bumble bees can have it as they are spider x pastel. The rest on your list have no known health issues.

Recommend you do some photo hunting for adult versions of the morphs you're interested in. Some fade a lot more than others. Basic morphs that look great as adults are Mojave, Fire, Lesser, Butter, GHI, and all of the leucistic ones.
>>
>>2353289
There is no difference.
>>
>>2353312
condolences
>>
>>2353312
I live in frederick
My email is [email protected]
>>
>>2353312
interested in tank sizes available if they're reasonably priced!

[email protected]
>>
File: 20170410_194115.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170410_194115.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Rate my leopard geckos first poop! No but seriously, is this okay? He's a 7 month old male and I've had him for 2 days. He ate for the first time today (6 small mealworms, undusted) and shit this out a few hours later. There's a bit of liquid on and around it but it was mostly solid and I could see bits of worm exoskeleton in it. Is this a normal poop or an abnormal poop and should I be worried? (He's on white tile with dark splotches btw so nothing surrounding the turd is part of the turd jsyk)
>>
File: 4W5Ezgv (1).jpg (1MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
4W5Ezgv (1).jpg
1MB, 2988x5312px
Got my harness in today, he had a lot to take in being outside for the first time.
The back of my neck quickly became his safe space
>>
if i post some pics of a,phibian eggs (tomorrow) can yall give me a hand id'ing the species? or can anyone link me a decent guide for id'ing
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Vet says she is not overweight

Do not objectify this bearded dragon
>>
>>2354071
is it even possible to id an amphibian species by its eggs?
>>
File: pavement buddy.jpg (78KB, 675x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pavement buddy.jpg
78KB, 675x1200px
A friend posted a picture off their phone of this little guy. What is it? It's in California.
>>
>>2354079
a very emaciated alligator lizard
>>
>>2354085
>emaciated

Well that's shitty to learn.
>>
>>2354074
supposedly, though eggs may be at different stges along the cycle,
i found a guide from vermont but it isnt all inclusive of my native species
>>
I fucked up and forgot to clean out my roach colony and it gold kinda moldy, a few of the roaches have mold on them, do you think it will still be ok for my beardie to eat or what can i do to get rid of this?
>>
File: emscincicaudaccor053.jpg (228KB, 800x565px) Image search: [Google]
emscincicaudaccor053.jpg
228KB, 800x565px
>>2354089
here's what they usually look like
I dont think that one is quite as bad as I initially thought but he's certainly had a rough time of it
>>
>>2354100
I wouldn't risk it, especially if the roaches have been eating said mold
>>
File: BRING ME SOLO.png (773KB, 1875x638px) Image search: [Google]
BRING ME SOLO.png
773KB, 1875x638px
>>2354073
>>
>that file name

I laughed and then felt awful. That lizard is dead isn't it.
>>
>>2354131
was referring to
>>2354123
>>
File: image.jpg (865KB, 2048x1408px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
865KB, 2048x1408px
>>2354123
Damn; my girl is thicc but DAMN

I thought it was funny until I saw the stuff about her nerve damage
>>
File: laughing openSUSE.jpg (156KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
laughing openSUSE.jpg
156KB, 500x339px
>>2354131
Who knows, the guy posted that in this same general.
>>
>>2354057
Normal.
>>
>>2351471
So, like your whole house or just a bedroom. I could see a bedroom working well if it had a basking spot and it was the right heat and humidity
I think a whole house would be too hard to maintain the right environment unless it's super hot and it can easily find a basking spot
>>
>>2351810
Some snakes do. Buts bugs from your house aren't that healthy because they usually eat crap like bits of chemical filled human food you left out, or it ate other bugs that ate the human food.
>>
>>2351894
If your feeding thawed out pre killed, try running the mouse under warm water so it's warm.
Also try dangling it from feeding tongs so the snake notices the movement (some snakes like that)
Make sure your temperature and humidity is good. Make sure the snake has a hiding place in it's cage.
Try not handling it for a while so it's reduces chances of it being stressed
>>
>>2352365
Keep putting Neo sporen. but interact with the frog as little as possible.
Keep the cage extra clean.
Put a hiding box of some kind in the cage.
Putting a back ground that covers all but one side of the glass tank will reduce stress as well. Or you can cover the whole tank so it cant see outside.
Try to be extra quiet around the cage so you dont scare it. It's best if the cage is in a room you don't go to often.
Offer some feeder roaches such as lobster roaches which don't bite or burrow.
>>
>>2352556
They might if you live somewhere cold. They do get cold more easily than humans. In the winter some whore turned down the heat even though I told her not to and my friend's gecko I was taking care of died
>>
>>2354316
And normally I would say beating a woman is terrible but...
Nevermind.
Anyways, I dumped the bitch
>>
>>2354255
Thanks for replying
>>
Hey, /an/. I posted yesterday about my sick RTB. Spent 2.5 hours at the vet and was told she has blood cancer. How long should I expect her to live? Is it safe to "force feed" her water? She eats but isn't really drinking. Any help is appreciated.

The vet said to make her as comfy as possible. Keep her warm and to feed her. My other friend says she could still live a long while yet even though she has cancer. Not sure what to do.
>>
>>2354404
That sucks I'm sorry anon :(

No idea about the other stuff but if she's eating, maybe she's drinking when you're not checking?

Good luck!
>>
>>2354404
Also snakes don't need to drink that often anyway, they get a lot of water from the rodents we feed them.
>>
>>2354316

Crested geckos require a mild heat source if the day time temperature in your place averages lower than 70. Night time lower than 65. My apartment does get that cold so i use low wattage ceramic heat emitters controlled with thermostat to keep the tanks in the happy 70-76 range for cresteds and gargs. The garg's CHE is set to 80 and she basks directly underneath it sometimes. They are slightly more heat loving than cresteds.
>>
Live or pre-killed?
>>
>>2354623
f/t
>>
File: OaLo2uWqdaI.jpg (347KB, 2133x1600px) Image search: [Google]
OaLo2uWqdaI.jpg
347KB, 2133x1600px
>>2354623
Live with low teeth removed. Mice/rat teeth is not like human, they dont feel anything.
>>
>>2354654
end your life
>>
File: 20170405_150403.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170405_150403.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Anyone know what this is? Found in Northern California
>>
>>2354673
Forget their name but they are really common lizards around the ozarks, they get about that big, I used to catch a lot of them when I was little
>>
File: jdfd.jpg (3MB, 2712x2064px) Image search: [Google]
jdfd.jpg
3MB, 2712x2064px
>>2354673
So I was at an exotic pet store and got to handle a Dumpy, it was a good frog and it looked cool. Can someone tell me the cons before I shell a good 200 bucks?
>>
>>2354725
oops, didn't mean to reply to (you), sorry anon
>>
File: C3hxYzjUMAIsXkZ.jpg large.jpg (63KB, 1080x817px) Image search: [Google]
C3hxYzjUMAIsXkZ.jpg large.jpg
63KB, 1080x817px
>>2354654
>>2354727
>>
>>2354673
Pretty sure its a fence lizard
>>
>>2354725

They're good frogs to keep as pets. You do have to watch their food intake though as they are prone to obesity. Your pic related is morbidly obese.
>>
>>2354673
sceloprus occidentalis
I'm not sure which subspecies is native to norcal
they're exceedingly common
>>
File: delete.jpg (17KB, 500x406px) Image search: [Google]
delete.jpg
17KB, 500x406px
>>2352938
>Unicorn, Heart and Flower stickers on the tank
>>
>>2354793
Do they have to eat crickets, can I sub for something else?
>>
>>2352765
It's ok, I pull the teeth and claws out of the little squeakers before I unleash the fury, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>2354654
well I don't care about mice and rats, but you're plain wrong if you think that doesn't hurt them
>>
>>2354725
poor thing is fuckign fat
>>
>>2354815
>live in georgia
>never seen a fence lizard in my life
anoles and skinks are everywhere though
>>
>>2354833
read the care sheets
>>
File: 20170411_163207.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170411_163207.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
Is it possible for snakes to have stunted growths? Picked up this girl 1 1/2 years ago when she was living in a plastic shoebox basically and was being fed once per 1-2 months. Now shes 3 1/2 and seems kind of small for an adult female corn still, will she continue to grow or did her early years hurt her potential?
>>
>>2354887
3 1/2 yrs old* i dont have a length
>>
>>2354887

I suppose so. They have a tendency to catch up on growth in later years though. At 3.5 years a corn will continue to grow more in girth if not much in length.
>>
File: turtle.gif (2MB, 400x174px) Image search: [Google]
turtle.gif
2MB, 400x174px
hello everyone this is the OP of >>2353312
I'm about to get back to people who left their email here. my email is also [email protected]. we're going to have a set time for people to pick up the terrariums this weekend. they're all being given away or else they're going to the dumpster. contact for the time/date/photos if interested.
>>
>>2354817
Why make comments like this? How does this benefit you? If you read my posts [and had a heart] you would know she has cancer yet you decide to go out of your way to comment about the outside of her tank? Mature.

>>2354431
>>2354434
Thank you both for your replies, it means so much to me.
>>
Guys im reading up on reptiles and am probably going to get one because my new apartment allows terrariums without pet rent

I dunno if I want a fire skink or a qt milk snake

please convince me /an/
>>
>>2354957
a milk snake of course. black milks can be kept at room temperature, super easy snakes.
>>
>>2354957
You're in the states, get an all black king snake! Those things are awesome.

But if I had to pick between the two, go the milk snake for sure.
>>
>>2354964
>>2354970
I'm also considering a hognose cuz they're super cute
>>
>>2355001
Hognose or kingsnake! Hognoses are the cutest and kings are the best looking. Either or
>>
>>2354957

Snakes in general are easier to care for. With the skink you have to manage a more complicated diet. Not that it's that much more work but for first time reptile, i think a commonly kept as pet snake species is the most rewarding and least tedious introduction to herp keeping.
>>
>>2354957
Just remember that you can't handle the snake at least until it's eaten for the first time in it's new environment.

Also, depending on the species, it will most likely sit in a corner for a lot of the time. If this is a turn off for you, look into which snakes are more active during the times you'll be wanting to view or handle the snake.
>>
>>2355041
I also sit in a corner crying most of the time so its ok

and yes I've been reading about the beginning of snek raising
>>
File: sal.png (421KB, 631x417px) Image search: [Google]
sal.png
421KB, 631x417px
why are there never tiger salamanders in these threads? These lil guys are cute I don't get why they aren't popular. I can't find them in petshops in toronto too. Are they illegal, lads?
>>
File: IMG_20170318_213738834~2.jpg (633KB, 2496x1528px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170318_213738834~2.jpg
633KB, 2496x1528px
>>2355051
Not quite a tiger but meet george
>>
do any of you guys have multi-floored tanks for a corn snake? would it ever climb up?
>>
>>2355054
most snakes will climb things if given the opportunity, colubrids probably moreso than some others
>>
>>2355060
Well I feel like my corn snake's tank is too small, even though its a 20 gal. just curious if adding a 2nd floor would encourage them to explore more.
>>
>>2355054
Can't speak for all snakes but most love ledges and things to climb in general.
>>
File: 20161105_142323.jpg (729KB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161105_142323.jpg
729KB, 3984x2988px
tree lizard is cute
>>
File: abstractfacebookamphibian.jpg (121KB, 753x724px) Image search: [Google]
abstractfacebookamphibian.jpg
121KB, 753x724px
>>2354934
Remove the fucking stickers you child.
>>
>>2355062
Sure. And yes, 100% chance your snake will explore multiple levels. Corns are excellent at climbing all sorts of stuff you might assume they wouldn't be able to; brick walls, for instance. They can shimmy up the grout between bricks.
>>
>>2354887
if ur not feeding her right and keep in small area
>>
>>2347512
>>
>>2355397
>gold
>it's yellow
>>
File: bali-01.jpg (36KB, 1100x600px) Image search: [Google]
bali-01.jpg
36KB, 1100x600px
What are some good herps for a 10 year old, anons?
One of my younger siblings wants a pet of their own (the two cats we have are mostly mine), and said they wanted a "sea turtle". I'm trying to research on simple and small-ish turtles they could keep (mostly red-eared sliders), but other reptiles, even amphibians are welcome as suggestions.
>>
>>2355415
None. Little kids are not suited for herp keeping unless you're doing all the work and supervise any interaction they have with it. Especially not turtles, who get 40+ years old.
>>
>>2354934
sorry people don't track your posts on an anonymous image board and give you special attention for sob stories. it sounds like reddit would be more to your speed
>>
>>2355415
none. also that child deserves to go to jail for interrupting a baby sea turtle's voyage
>>
>>2355417
>>2355423
Yeah, that's what I thought. I've already told them getting a turtle is a very bad idea, I just wanted to check.
Any other suggestions, even if they are not relevant to this general? I don't want to spam any other threads with this question
>>
>>2355428
honestly there are no living things that a child should be in charge of
>>
>>2355438
i think a child could learn how to culture algae pretty readily enough
>>
>>2355051
salamanders were listed as an injurious species rather recently so they can cross state lines in the US because the fear of spreading chytridiomycosis thats been wiping out groups of amphibians
>>
File: triops_1.jpg (95KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
triops_1.jpg
95KB, 900x675px
>>2355438
My first own pet I had were triops. I think those and brine/fairy shrimp are the most acceptable options. Grow quickly, easy to take care of and very short life spans in case the child gets bored of it.
>>
>>2355428
well it really comes down to how much work that you're willing to put in.
A ten year old child just doesn't have the proper brain chemistry or neural connections to understand that that animals life is in their hands
So if you're willing to do the brunt of the work and they realllly want a turtle, a box turtle might not be a bad choice

like that other anon said a simple pet would be triops, other invertebrates probably like a hissing cockroach.
and again provided you're willing to do the water changes and remind him to feed it, bettas or a few guppies are pretty simple
>>
>>2355415
Agree with this anon >>2355546 in that you're going to be the brunt of the work so make sure if a turtle is something you'd want yourself and can handle; especially red eared sliders as they grow fairly large

Though no child is going to have the capacity to actually care for it, it is possible for the child, if still fascinated by the animal far after the initial hype died down, they can end up caring for it completely when they get older.

Basically happened to me when I got a tiny RES turtle in like middle school as a dumbass tween (didn't even want it, my dad just gave it to me because no one wanted it and my mom had a 10g aquarium and thought it's the same thing). Parents mainly looked after it but didn't know how to care for turtles so they did a bunch of shit wrong and as I got older i just googled how to care for it and slowly tried to convince folks to make improvements. Fast forward over a decade and I still have the same turtle and now the primary care taker of her; made major upgrades to the tank and complete with vet visits,making homemade food, and shit. And now I fucking love turtles.
>>
>>2355428
Pet rock? Honestly, dogs and cats are the easiest. Fish cop the brunt of being first animals and they're honestly one of the worst with the water chemistry needed and consistent water changes.

I'd maybe suggest a rat or mouse too, one that you yourself feed and clean the cage of.
>>
File: 1490429284010.gif (4MB, 280x302px) Image search: [Google]
1490429284010.gif
4MB, 280x302px
Is sand still a shit if I'm going to set up a terrarium for a sand boa?
>>
NEW THREAD

>>2355881

>>2355881

>>2355881
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 68

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.