[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Queen Update

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

File: Side Egg.jpg (998KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
Side Egg.jpg
998KB, 2592x1456px
I posted a few threads a few months back about a queen I had found, in August or so. Its finally happened, she laid an egg. Shes been tending to it fairly diligently, Ive waited so long for this day.
>>
File: Fuzz Egg.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
Fuzz Egg.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
A few pics to go with it.
>>
File: Top Egg.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
Top Egg.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
Another view
>>
File: Egg.jpg (1005KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
Egg.jpg
1005KB, 2592x1456px
One more for now, depending on thread interest. I know the board is fairly slow.
>>
I don't know much about bees, but don't they need males to mate with?
>>
>>2347404
What will you name the servant?
>>
>>2347413
Goodness, I hadnt really thought about that yet, let alone naming all the future offspring. If anyone remembers, the queen is Beatrice, perhaps Ill let others name the future colony as they come.
>>
>>2347411
This is an ant dear friend, she was fertilized long ago during her nuptial flight season.
>>
>>2347404
Nice, some kind of Camponotus species? Now that she is actually laying you'll probably want to let her be for the most part. They can end up eating their eggs if too stressed.
>>
havent u seen the chimera arc dude this wont end well
>>
>>2347404
Interesting. Granted I thought ant queens would be immobile looking. Good luck with the colony, be interested to keep tabs on it.
>>
>>2347545
I think they only go into full gainz mode once they have a safe nest with plently of workers.
>>
OP here, im happy to see the replies so far.
>>2347480
As far as I know yes, camponotus is the most likely. And she is safely back in her dark and quiet place to nest and lay more.
>>2347492
Cant say that I have.
>>2347545
I will update as long as interesting things continue to develop.
>>2347546
Im not entirely sure, but we will see.
>>
>>2347546
>>2347545
>>2347559
>into full gainz mode once they have a safe nest

For the most part this best describes termite queens, which start out life very small and once establish grow into the massive helpless queens you imagine.

There are definitely species of ants whose queens grow larger gasters once the colony is established but they generally aren't the norm nor do they reach the point of being unable to walk.
>>
OP here again, another egg has been laid. I'll get some pictures when I have a moment. Im hoping. This turns into a daily occurrence.
>>
>>2347546
>>2349141
we Simant now
>>
>>2347411
> Bee
You'll never stop /an/, right ?
>>
>>2347404
Are you going to use the ants to do something?
>>
>>2349171
We are if that is the goal.
>>2349180
I am simply raising the colony for the fact that I find them interesting.
>>
>>2347404
Congrats! Glad to see an update, and looking forward to more. I've never watched the lifecycle of an ant colony from the very beginning. She's pretty cute. What does tending to the eggs entail?
>>
>>2347404
>>2347408
>>2347409
>>2347410
Hey OP where you from? I'm keeping a couple of ant colonies myself so I can usually identify them pretty well.

What you got there looks like a Camponotus cf. turkestanus Queen. Could also be an US Camponotus species but I know almost nothing about them since they're never on the ant trading market.

Also if you found her that long ago and she didn't immediately start laying eggs that usually isn't a good sign. Either she hasn't mated or she had a hibernation and only now started laying.

All I'm saying is don't be too disappointed if she eats those eggs or they turn into males.

Maybe try to offer her a bit of sugar water/honey and a piece of insect at the front of the test tube. I know this isn't usually needed for claustral founding queens but it can help if the queen is a slow starter.
>>
File: nicos1.png (3MB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
nicos1.png
3MB, 1500x844px
Anyway here are some pics of my Camponotus nicobarensis founding colony. The queen had a short diapause for 2 months or so but now she is starting to lay eggs again, most of which have already turned into larva and pupa.
>>
Oh hey I remember you
Nice one glad you finally got it to start going in right direction
>>
File: nicos2.png (3MB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
nicos2.png
3MB, 1500x844px
>>2349673
2/2
>>
>>2349511
From what I have seen, she pretty much just cleans them a bit and moves them around.
>>2349649
>>2349673
>>2349677
Thank you for so many replies, I am situated in northern California and I believe you are correct as to the species.

I cant be sure as to what kept her from laying, I am hoping it was due to it being fairly cold where I am at. Once the weather began to warm up is when she finally did lay.

I cant lie, if she does eat them I will be a bit miffed, but thats just nature, I waited almost 8 months to see her come this far, its been a fun ride.

I have given her drops of honey over the duration of her stay, perhaps Ill give her some more now.

Your colony looks wonderful in its early stages, I can only hope I have something like that eventually, best of luck to you in your colonies growth.
>>2349675
I hope things continue to progress in a positive direction, thanks for the reply.
>>
OP here again. We now have 3 eggs and I will be posting pics when I am available. Beatrice has been given a drop of honey for her hard work and hopefully will continue to grow her new colony.
>>
>>2351329
Best of luck to your future with Beatrice ^-^
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.