[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chickens anyone? Finally set up my hen house, and I'm bringing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: bantychickens.jpg (96KB, 480x864px) Image search: [Google]
bantychickens.jpg
96KB, 480x864px
Chickens anyone?

Finally set up my hen house, and I'm bringing home some pekin bantams tonight (urban household, although the house can apparently hold ten wanted to stick to 4-5 bantams at most to give them some room).

Any tips anyone, esp on befriending them? I've worked at a poultry farm before, so know what I'm doing r.e feed/water.

Do they really need to be shut out of their roosting area at night? These guys aren't going to be the best layers out there after all! My current intention is to let them out in their run during the day (3m long run), and then they can have run of our entire garden at night/weekends until we go to bed where they will be shut in their coop overnight.

Picked related, our choice for going to pick up later.

Any other general tips? Thanks in advance guys!
>>
>>2347113
That is cool
>>
>>2347113

Chickens should be inside at night in a well secured room with plates 50 cm down the soil to keep out foxes

Let them roam free during the day
>>
>>2347113
Why are the water containers suspended?
>>
>>2347164
Having them suspended means that the chickens can still stick their head in but it's less likely anything else gets in there. If they're on the ground, they're more likely to get straw/feathers/poop in them and also in the case of food containers having them suspended makes it harder for rats to get at it.
>>
>>2347113
Get the one with the quiff near the back-right.

If foxes are even slightly a problem, you'll want to ensure chickens are cooped up. Nothing worse than finding feathers everywhere in the morning, trust me.

I imagine they also develop a routine so I would set a fixed time to close their coop, rather than just whenever you go to bed. When it gets dark, they tend to go inside anyway so it's not like they'll really appreciate the extra freedom.

In terms of bonding, I would just try and do stuff in the garden near them. Take a book out and read or whatever. Find some juicy snacks (worms) and hand feed them if you're comfortable. Fastest way to a chicken's heart is its stomach.

Chicken Stories
>Cockeral (creatively named Cocky) broke his leg so we put him in a confined henhouse in the front garden
>Rest of hens have mostly free reign of the back garden with a henhouse at night
>That night, fox visits and tries to get under the henhouse fence
>Cocky hears distressed hens, breaks out of his henhouse, flies over the wall and attacks the fox
>fox barking wakes us up
>we see Cocky perched ontop of the henhouse while appreciative hens cluster below him
>no sign of fox

>Another fox attack, this time no Cocky to protect them
>No hens left
>feathers everywhere
>Everyone's very sad but then
>Gentle cooing from a nearby tree
>Hen (creatively called Grey Hen) is perched at the top
>She was the lone survivor

Chickens are great but foxes are the worst. After that last incident, we stopped keeping chickens. It didn't seem fair given that the foxes were so committed and plentiful.
>>
>>2347211
>you'll want to ensure chickens are cooped up. Nothing worse than finding feathers everywhere in the morning, trust me.
This. Foxes are smart and vicious bastards and will stop at nothing to wipe your entire flock out. Considering he's getting bantams even a reasonably large cat could be a problem.

I have a few short stories from my agriculture teacher dad. It's a good thing he turns up to work early in the morning.
>After years of dealing with foxes, the main chicken cage is built to be pretty damn sturdy
>thick concrete base
>2m high chicken wire fence
>roofed off so even if the foxes climb the fence they still can't get in
>just one small problem
>15cm by 10cm hole about a metre and a half off the ground so that you can reach the lock through the gate
>fox manages to leap through the hole, wipe out the entire flock and then leave the same way he got in
>now there's a metal flap covering it

>Had some bantams entered in the local agricultural show
>Don't get the chooks back to school until late evening and dad can't be bothered to put them away so he leaves them in their small transport cages (about 30cm cubed for a couple of birds) with some food and water intending to put them back in the morning
>comes back the next morning to a bunch of headless chickens
>cages have bars over the front that is just large enough for the chickens to fit their heads through
>overnight a fox came along and bit their heads off when they poked their heads out through the bars to try and see what was happening.
>>
not chickens related, but I've got 2 pet ducks, if I wanted to make a little hen house in my yard for them to live in would that be a bad idea? Should I take a different approach? Right now they're living in my grandpa's hen house with his chickens and they're doing good, they're even laying quite a bit of eggs, but I'd still like them to have a personal space for themselves
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.