[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tardigrade facts or shitposts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

ITT: Tardigrade related

So I would like to introduce the tardigrade.

> can survive temperatures from slightly above absolute zero to higher than boiling point of water
> highly resistant to radiation and other toxic entities
> withstands pressures WAYYY more than the Mariana trench
> can go without food for 10 years
These next few combined may provoke conspiracy theories
> can survive the vacuum of space for a long ass time
> apparently ONLY 1/6 of their genome is shared with other discovered organisms
> the rest is completely foreign
> biologists have no fucking clue how they came to be in that case
Can /an/ theorize where these resilient fuckers came from? So far their origin is a fucking mystery. Pic related
>>
>>2345630
Pretty sure they are ayyylmaos
>>
>>2345638
I would be equally surprised if they weren't desu
>>
>>2345643
I'm sick of this weeb language bullshit
>>
>>2345630
Tardigrades are the supreme beings i the universe.
They come from beyond our galaxy, and in all other corners of the universe, they are the masters of all.
>>
>>2345630
Do we really need to shitpost on /an/ of all places?
I mean come on, this is such a slow board, why shit it up?

> apparently ONLY 1/6 of their genome is shared with other discovered organisms
Absolute bullcrap. Even standard genetic markers like COI work on them: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/?term=tardigrada+co1

And here are some full genomes to download, in case you want to check manually.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sra/?term=tardigrada

> biologists have no fucking clue how they came to be in that case
They are Ecdysozoa ("animals that molt"), which includes arthropods, nematodes and some others. They are closely related to arthropods (crustaceans, insects, chelicerata, myriapods). Their closest living relatives are the velvet worms though, which are also close to arthropods. All of this is well known and researched and backed both by morphology and genes.

Oh also all their resistance only concerns the dormant state they can enter when their habitat dries out. They don't actually live in any of these conditions so they're not extremophiles but their dormant state can endure them for some time.
>>
File: no fun.jpg (84KB, 488x516px) Image search: [Google]
no fun.jpg
84KB, 488x516px
>>2345652
>>
File: smug_anime_girl.jpg (11KB, 441x408px) Image search: [Google]
smug_anime_girl.jpg
11KB, 441x408px
>>2345667
I'm just not a fun person.
>>
>>2345644
desu
>>
>>2345667
Debunking shit IS fun. Thank you, biologyfag
>>
>>2345644
baka desu senpai
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.